cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leadville, CO to Rocky Mtn NP

Tony_DiannesRV
Explorer
Explorer
After exploring much of CO south of I70, we plan to head to RMNP from the Leadville area. (summer of 2015). A few questions:
(1) any advantage to staying on the west side of the park? If so, route taken with our 5'er to get there?
(2) we will be exiting via Rte 40 west towards Dinosaur Natl Mon. Anything to stop & see along this route?
Thanks much,
2004 28' H.R. Alumascape named Maude
2008 GMC 2500 P/U
5 Grown Kids/5 Adorable Grandaughters & 1 Prince grandson
13 REPLIES 13

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you decide to go over Trail Ridge Rd, in either direction, be aware of a couple of things:

It's HIGH! It maxes out at about 12,400 ft.

It's NARROW! There are many places that don't have guard rails. There's a "semblance" of a guard rail in places, a short rock wall that I suppose is comforting to some.

The Weather can change on a moment's notice. I've been up there many times in June and July and had the clouds move in and get caught in a snow squall. IF that happens, find a place to pull over if you can and wait it out. There are pull offs along Trail Ridge. It WILL move on...eventually!

If you've never towed at this high an altitude, you might want to think twice about this being your first time! It's scary beautiful to drive solo, let alone pulling a trailer.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
That is Highway 82 over Independance Pass. Note that the 35' limit is based on the combined length of the tow vehicle and any trailer.

Colorado DOT restrictions

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer
I love vacationing in Colorado and Wyoming and have done so every summer for the past 10+ years.

Estes Park is one of my favorite places but it is crowded. The west side of RMNP offers its own beauty as well. I don't think that you could go wrong on either side of RMNP, but make reservations early.

Also don't assume that every road on the map will allow you to tow your trailer. For instance there is a road out of Aspen that has a 35' limit. GPS will often route you over other roads that are 4 wheel drive only.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
We really like the town of Grand Lake. It's like Estes Park was 40 or 50 years ago. BUT, the beetle kill around Grand Lake and south toward Granby has really changed the scenery. We rarely go to that area any more, except to pass through on the way to Loveland. As noted, the hiking on the east side is better for the casual user, as it's a long hike up to timberline on the west side. Estes can be a real zoo during the middle of the summer, but with planning you can avoid the worst of the crowds.

If you do decide to stay in Estes, the Peak to Peak highway is the way to go. When you leave Estes, you can head over Trail Ridge Road and on to US 40. But if you have the time, another option is to head back to Loveland, head north on US 287, and go up the Poudre Canyon on CO 14, over Cameron Pass and back to US 40 that way. The Poudre Canyon is longer but a beautiful drive and you avoid Trail Ridge. If you want to overnight, there are a variety of NFS CG's in the canyon on up to the pass. Just don't try to get a spot on a Friday.

Either way you go, you eventually get to Rabbit Ears Pass and then down to Steamboat Springs. Once past there, the drive is easy through fields along the Yampa River and then into dried hills on the way to Dinosaur. While a pretty drive, there's not much in the way of specific destinations along the way.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
"(Especially when I read over & over again to make reservations)" I'm glad you posted this as we do three months in the West without ANY reservations BUT we are fully self contained. Yes on a weekend we may call the day before or in the morning to make one for that day. OP do you have a generator? Do you boondock? Is it just the two of you? If yes, yes, yes then this is what works for us with a BIG rig. If we show up Friday afternoon at a USFS CG the chances of a site big enough is nil BUT show up Sunday afternoon or Monday and plenty of empty sites. After 5 days in an area we are usually ready to move on so off to the next destination and to a WalMart (may spend the night) and one day at usually a Private CG to dump, do laundry, and resupply. If it's a long weekend then we make find a site on Wednesday before the crowds.
I like this site the best for finding public CGs as it's on a map.Allstays is almost as good plus it has private CGs and boondocking ideas and there is an APP for it. These two sites will let you go without making reservations if you get away from needing FHU every night. Relax and enjoy your trip without stressing about making reservations months in advance even near National Parks.
*OP I'd suggest you read this recent thread
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
One more thing to add the CO9 to 40 is the way we usually go and it is an easy drive with our rig in my sig. Not sure about the stretch of 24 north to I-70 as I have not driven past Leadville on it.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
I will throw in a vote for the Grand Lake West side of RMNP. Winding River RV Resort is a really nice park with direct access to the river and the park and pretty wide open spaces. I have spent time on both sides and my style is the laid back and less people so Grand Lake is my favorite. Love the little town of grand lake as well.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

Tony_DiannesRV
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, all, for your quick replies. There's so much to see in do in CO! I had to print out a CO map and section it in order to get my head around what to see & the miles between each area. Because of the mountains, places that appear to be close could be hours in mileage. Then I tried to determine a base-camp area in each section & plan to do day trips. We will spend a good month touring CO, then off thru Wy. In my entire cross-country planning, CO excites me the most! But it is very challenging to plan. (Especially when I read over & over again to make reservations). Lauren: thanks for your offer to help...I might need you two.
2004 28' H.R. Alumascape named Maude
2008 GMC 2500 P/U
5 Grown Kids/5 Adorable Grandaughters & 1 Prince grandson

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see, 98% of the activities for Rocky Mtn NP are on the east side - Estes Park side. And nearly all the RV parks / camping are on the east side. Additionally, as of late, the pine beetle infestation has really taken a toll on the west side and now moving over the top to the east.

With all the flood damage I suggest you got to CDOT for latest info on roads to Estes. The Peak To Peak would be my suggestion in any case if you don't mind 2 lane road - the directions by padredw are right on.

I do not know when you plan on going but you best look into reservations .... things get full there. Most private RV parks in Estes are just marginal anymore.

Let me know if you need Rocky or Estes info; lived there 8 years.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Preference and advantage is pretty subjective. Depends on what your interests are. There are advantages to either side depending on what you're looking for.

The west side is the "quiet" side, around Grand Lake and further south, Grandby. Grand County is wide open beautiful, but it's a different kind of beauty. There's also fewer commercial campgrounds in the immediate Grand Lake area, but more USFS campgrounds around Lake Grandby. If you want to travel a bit, there's a wonderful YMCA campground (Snow Mountain Ranch) in the Fraser/Tabernash area, that is definitely worth considering, and that's on the west side.

There's also Timber Creek CG inside the park, and that is definitely quieter and less crowded. Unfortunately, the beetle kill of years past have taken a toll there and all the trees had to be cut down. It's still a viable alternative for dry camping.

The drive up the west side to the top, at the Fall River Visitor's Center, is not quite as dramatic as the drive up the east side, but it's beautiful nonetheless. And it's quicker to get to the top than from the east side.

The east side has Estes Park, and if you're looking for LOTS to do, there's a lot to see in Estes. It's a typical mountain tourist town, and it can get very busy, especially on weekends. There's more commercial campgrounds there, but they are also more expensive than on the west side. Right now, there's only 2 viable ways to get there -- US 34 from Loveland up the Big Thompson Canyon, or Hwys 119/72/7 (the Peak to Peak Highway), which is a beautiful drive, and would make more sense to take, given that you would be coming from Leadville. You could take I70 east to the Central City exit, and that takes you right to Hwy 119.

There's lots more to the east side as far as hiking and driving and places to see. The Old Fall River Rd will be closed this year, so that's not an option. But there are lots of alternatives. Bear Lake is a "must see", there are a lot of hiking trails there. It can, however, get very crowded on the weekends.

Whichever option you choose, it can be enjoyable! Also keep in mind that the sights on the east side can be visited from the west and vice versa. There's really no limit other than time as to what you can see and do on either side.

If you don't have an annual parks pass, it's worth consideration. Also, the day pass is good for 7 days in/out of the park.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

crabbin_cabin
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are eventually heading west on 40 then stay on the west side of the Park (Between Grand lake and the Park boundary). Use your tow vehicle (or dinghy) to travel over Trail Ridge road to the east side and spend a day over there exploring that side of the Park.
from Leadville - down US 91 to Copper Mountain, I 70 to Silverthorne exit, north on US 9 to US 40, east to just before Granby and north on US 34 to the Park.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am not a fan of Estes Park, even before the flood so we stay in the Grand Lake area and drive the car into the park even for lunch in Estes Park. Grand Lake is more laid back which we like better than all the traffic in E P. From Leadville there's only one good way which is 9 north out of Dillon to 40. There are plenty of various types of CG around Grand Lake plus a new one inside RMNP but the sites are kind of small. Since you are headed west on 40 leaving the trailer in the Grand Lake area and day tripping into the park is what I'd do. I've never been west of Steamboat on 40 so not much help there.
Based on the above post we've set either end of the answers you may get.:B
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
In my opinion the visit to Estes Park and Eastern RMNP is far to be prefered to the Western side at Grand Lake. We always like to take a day trip over the Trail Ridge Road to Grand Lake from Estes Park, but that's a different story. We have never TOWED over the Trail Ridge Road but I don't think we'd have any problem doing so. Our trip has never taken us that way.

Now, IF you go from Leadville to Estes Park I can tell you the route we take. It is not the fast route, but it is one we enjoy. It is called the "Peak to Peak Highway." The route numbers make it seem more complicated than it really is, but here they are.

CO 91 to I-70 East; I-70 to US 6 (near Central City); CO 119 which merges up around Nederland with CO 72; then take CO 7 on into Estes Park. It is a winding, very hilly route. I call it one of the "crookest" roads in the country. There are hardly any straight and level sections in the entire route. BUT . . . we always enjoy it and we are towing a 34' fifth-wheel.

I'm not recommending this as the route you would prefer, but just sharing our preference.