cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Louisiana I-10

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
GEEZ, drove in Louisiana today on I-10 from Mississippi line to the heart of Acadiana, and if you are lucky enough to get through Baton Rouge lickety split, the ride after passing over the Atchafalaya spillway/swamp/marsh/overpass, the road will knock bolts loose from the dash and deshelve everything in the basement storage as well as cabinets 'in house'. I hear it is just as bad going south/east on 167/90. Just a shame our infrastructure has 'crumbled' SO BAD!
2016 Bounder 35K
2014 Freedom Edition JEEP Unlimited
Traveling thru this great country
14 REPLIES 14

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Born and raised there! Louisiana roads have always been very bad! First, and not really defending them, I read that it takes seven(7) times the foundation for their roadways than the average roadway. Lotsa swamp, if case no one noticed :D. Couple that with years of political corruption :o,rivaled only by Chicago, explains some of the road issues. Louisiana roads will thoroughly test your rv suspension ๐Ÿ˜ž memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

4huskers
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on 190.

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
AJBert wrote:
According to the "experts" in LA the problem is not the roads but the "soil". They've been saying that since they first laid down asphalt. Funny thing is that MS and TX don't seem to have those problems. Amazing how the road improves as soon as you cross the state lines.

Actually the stretch for I-10 in Texas from the Louisiana state line/Orange, TX to Beaumont, TX used to be real bad for the same reason - the soil. They have improved most of it. Concrete went over some. Now they are completing the last stretch through Orange. It is no pleasure to drive through under construction with narrow lanes, but I notice they are bringing in dirt from somewhere else and raising the entire road bed and driving piles at bayou crossings. It may have a dual purpose of providing an emergency and evacuation route in case of hurricanes.

However, I do agree. In general, the roads improve suddenly when you enter Texas from just about any direction, especially Louisiana. It is very notable on secondary highways. It has been that way for as long as I remember.

Example: US-79 at the state line in Bethany TX/LA. Louisiana is in the foreground, the intersection itself is in Texas. No sign marking the state line. No need for one.

one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We did the 10 from Texas to Florida last spring (a year ago) didn't think it was too bad, but we are accustom to Wa roads.
So..... >
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

ffemt1271
Explorer
Explorer
you can cut across 190 thats in pretty good shape
Professional Firefighter/EMT
2003 DODGE 2500Hd/ cummins
2001 dutchman 27rk 5er
Prodigy Controller

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Best to avoid that route. As long as the tourists can get in by any other route, fixing 1-10 is not important. Have not been that way in years, and have no intention to ever go that way. There are too many other places that we haven'tseen yet, or want to go back to. Lousiana 1-10 is not one of them.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
According to the "experts" in LA the problem is not the roads but the "soil". They've been saying that since they first laid down asphalt. Funny thing is that MS and TX don't seem to have those problems. Amazing how the road improves as soon as you cross the state lines.

ffemt1271
Explorer
Explorer
even after cutting budget and raising taxes the state is still -$400 million this cycle (if you ask gov edwards)
Professional Firefighter/EMT
2003 DODGE 2500Hd/ cummins
2001 dutchman 27rk 5er
Prodigy Controller

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Louisiana busted loose my Saf-T-Plus; it was just hanging there and I was wondering why the MH was all over the road.
-jbh-

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We go up to 90/ 190 north of I-10 to get past Baton Rouge. Much easier traveling

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
downtheroad wrote:
They are going to fix it. They promised they would.....and very very soon and very very quickly.

Yeah 20 years ago
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I will never go across that area of 10 again. My closet door was out of alignment and my slide was messed after hitting one of those bumps. I messed and messed with the slide adjustments to get it to stop rubbing and not closing all the way. Great people terrible roads.

This was 3 years ago

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
They are going to fix it. They promised they would.....and very very soon and very very quickly.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro