cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Low Road or High Road to Taos? Chama?

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
From Santa Fe, which road to Taos? Which road is the Ranchos de Taos church on? I can only do one on my way to the Grand Canyon; would like the one with the best view. Any recommendations on a route from Taos to Chama? THANKS!
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
12 REPLIES 12

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
New Mexico state parks are a great bargain. So, on your way to Chama, you might want to consider a short side-trip to the Heron Lake State Park's Blanco Campground. $14/night for 30A electricity and water hookups on an 18'x100' gravel pad in the ponderosa pine trees near a large lake is hard to beat anywhere!

Incidentally, one of our favorite campgrounds in northern New Mexico is the National Park Service's Juniper Campground at Bandelier National Monument. If you have never been to Bandelier and neighboring Los Alamos, they are both well worth spending at least a day exploring. And they are an easy drive from either Santa Fe or Taos.

Another not-to-be-missed northern New Mexico national park is Chaco Culture National Historic Park, located south of the Farmington-Bloomfield-Aztec triangle. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and an International Dark Sky Park, one of only four such parks in the nation. The Chaco Observatory has weekly programs with a 20" (?) reflecting telescope that are almost as fascinating as exploring the multiple 1,000-year old, 3-story, stone Anasazi pueblos. Getting there on the long gravel road is a chore, but once you are there, the trip is well worth the time and effort.

Just writing this makes me want to leave tomorrow for New Mexico. So, have fun!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
My comments were directed towards the OP, who appears to have a Class C. You probably would have some trouble getting around Taos near the plaza with your rig. At best, you can pull into one of the RV parks or into the Walmart, unhook your toad, and tour in that way.

The plaza areas of cities in this part of the country are generally from the 1600s. That's their charm and the reason why roads are not expanded. But it does make driving more complicated for those with big rigs.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

dsteinman wrote:
I have only driven through Taos with our rig (40ft + toad). So, I can't answer about parking. There are certainly roads and corners that would be tight.

We also haven't driven the high road in the Motorhome, but if taking the high road, you probably don't want to start on NM503. I think the road is old through the town there, but some of the other parts have been repaved. I can't think of any other areas that would be a problem even with out rig. It is not a wide highway, but I don't think it would be a problem.

Taos Pueblo might be a problem parking. I only remember a few small parking lots.

Chama is no problem.

David

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
I have only driven through Taos with our rig (40ft + toad). So, I can't answer about parking. There are certainly roads and corners that would be tight.

We also haven't driven the high road in the Motorhome, but if taking the high road, you probably don't want to start on NM503. I think the road is old through the town there, but some of the other parts have been repaved. I can't think of any other areas that would be a problem even with out rig. It is not a wide highway, but I don't think it would be a problem.

Taos Pueblo might be a problem parking. I only remember a few small parking lots.

Chama is no problem.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
mikeleblanc413 wrote:
THANK YOU NC Writer...that is exactly the information I was looking for...

You're very welcome. That area is welcoming to visitors, yet it is not touristy in a negative way. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Taos Pueblo is definitely worth a visit, and a good time to go for photography is as soon as they open for the day. (Info readily available in Taos or on the Pueblo website.) You will get pictures without all your fellow visitors in them, and the sun angles are good.

But if you are a professional photographer, you'll notice that they require all visitors to sign upon entering that any photos taken will not be reproduced for publication or used commercially. You may need to investigate their fee/policy if you plan to sell your images.

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, I don't think parking is a great problem in Taos. There's a free municipal parking lot just east of the plaza on Highway 64, called Kit Carson Road in town. It's about a block from the Taos plaza.

When visiting the plaza, don't forgot to walk to its north side, where there's a pedestrian zone.

Parking also shouldn't be a great problem when visiting the church down in Ranchos de Taos. Note that Ranchos is separate from Taos proper, located on its southwest side on either side of Hwy 68. The Ranchos plaza, where the church is, has plenty of place to park your rig.

If you take the high road, then you'll come into the Taos area on 518 from south. It intersects with Hwy 68 about a block east of the Ranchos plaza, so turn right to visit the Taos plaza area, or turn left to visit the Ranchos Plaza.

Taos Pueblo is located on the northeast side of Taos. Check your dates, though, because they sometimes close for cultural ceremonies.

http://www.taospueblo.com/

There is a small Walmart (no SuperWalmart) in Taos, and it does permit overnighting by RVs.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
Parking in Taos may be a problem but if you don't mind walking you shouldn't have a problem. You won't have any problem parking in Chama. There's not much in Chama except the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad which I would definitely take a day to ride. There are a couple of nice campground in Chama as well. I have never towed on the high road to Taos as I have been told that I would never make the curves with our rig. I'm guessing with the Minnie you won't have any problem. Have fun in New Mexico (it's lots better than the Grand Canyon in my opinion).
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
THANK YOU dsteinman, Thunder Mountain, and padredw...so much good information. On a little different subject, how is navigating and parking of a 30 foot Minnie Winnie in Taos and Chama?
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Well, Thunder Mountain just STOLE MY THUNDER. Could not agree more. There is a great restaurant where we often stop for lunch at Chimayo, Ranchos de Chimayo.

The historic church on the High Road is San Josรฉ de Gracia de Las Trampas, in Trampas rather than Truchas. We always stop in both villages and have a friend in the small weaving shop in Truchas. We used to stop by and visit his parents when they were still weaving. Both now dead.

I believe the High Road passes the Rancho de Taos plaza and San Francisco de Asis mission church on the way into town. But if you go the other route, it's not a big deal to drive a few minutes to see the church. Taos is fairly small in size.

Just be sure to turn LEFT as you come to the main intersection leading into the town of Taos. The plaza will be just to the left again. The road on which you will have turned left is the main highway toward Santa Fe, so you would pass the plaza on the right before you come into the town of Taos

We have never TOWED on the High Road. We have either been set up at Taos or Santa Fe and have left the trailer at camp.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've traveled the area for 20+ years. Don't miss the high road to Taos. The church in Truchas is a wonderful gem. That is where the Milagro Bean Field Wars was filmed years ago.

Chimayo is a real gem. Be sure to time you travel to eat at Rancho de Chimayo. It is our favorite restaurant in NM. Reservations are a must on weekends and holidays. We like to catch an early lunch or dinner. Everything on the menu is to die for.

Don't miss the Santuario de Chimayo. It is one of the holy healing places in the world. The El Potrero Trading Post next door is a don't miss. They sell some of the finest dried green and red chili in the world. They have both traditional sun dried and machine dried. Had the red this a.m. on fried eggs. Comes in several degrees of burn. They'll let you sample to pick.

Ortega's weaving shop is a great place to shop. I have a dress coat that turns heads whenever I wear it. Nice place mats, purses and rugs.

In season, there are numerous roadside stands selling fruit and traditional chili.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
You actually have a few choices. From Santa Fe to Taos, there is the normal way, US84 to NM68, and there is the high road, NM76 to NM518, although we usually start at NM503. I am not sure which is the official start. The normal road is easy and follow the Rio Grande, the high road does go into the mountains and is fairly curvy and hilly. But, does provide lots of scenery changes. Both roads pass close to the church.

Now, from Taos to Chama you can take US64 to US84. This does go over a mountain pass at 10,000 ft and has a great view of the Chama valley. Or you can go back down NM68 to Fairview Ln. in Espanola, then to US84. This might be considered more scenic especially to give a more varied scenery of New Mexico. It is a bit longer, but won't be that much since you are avoiding the mountain pass.

So, you can take the high road to Taos and then the normal road back down on the way to Chama.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
THANK YOU NC Writer...that is exactly the information I was looking for...
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Last October, we used 64 between Chama and Taos. It is a pretty drive through a lot of National Forest, but there's not a lot of development, so don't count on any gas stations.

The High Road is scenic and quite interesting, especially the old churches to photograph - if you are short on time, focus on Chimayo. Near the church, El Potrero Trading Post sells carved religious items and inexpensive baggies of ground red or green chile powder. I've been using it all winter. The Ortega Weaving shop nearby has beautiful things, some small and quite reasonable. Their traditional wooden looms are in the same building as the shop.

I believe the High Road passes the Rancho de Taos plaza and San Francisco de Asis mission church on the way into town. But if you go the other route, it's not a big deal to drive a few minutes to see the church. Taos is fairly small in size.

You can get great photos of the church from all sides and it's fun to compare your own pictures to the work of Ansel Adams and Georgia O'Keeffe.

I love New Mexico and was glad we spent two weeks seeing the northern part of the state. Will certainly return for a third visit, maybe for the Hatch Chile Festival next time.