cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So how really bad are the mosquitos in Alaska

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
I always heard the mosquitos are the Alaska state bird but never having been there I'd really like to know what it's like.
Is there a season or time frame when they are worse than others Just out in the boonies or everywhere? Near the ocean, like at Homer or Seward?
we are planning an RV trip and what an idea of what we are in for.....
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger
22 REPLIES 22

alaskan-rver
Explorer
Explorer
The trick is to change your mindset of what an ideal campsite is. The wooded, secluded one near a stream or lake that you would covet in the lower 48 will likely be absolute hell up here. As others have said, you want open space and a breeze. For a rig with a side entry, try to orient your rig facing into (or directly away from) the wind, so that the wind "scrubs" the bugs away from hanging out by your door.

A breeze is your friend...use it to your advantage!

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
joe b. wrote:
I read some while back, that if you put the US Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, within 5 years, there would be a shortage of sand in that area. The same might work to put them in charge of the mosquitos in Alaska. LOL

So would that mean that if we put the US Government in charge of the US Government, we'd only have to wait five years.

Now, that may be a plan.

No hijacks, just highjinks. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cheers.

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
sue said, "Use an old toothbrush to remove left-over mosquito carcass from the screen."
Hope your husband, Steve doesn't catch you using his toothbrush. LOL

A lot of good advice give above. Just be prepared for the worst. By staying mainly in the urban areas, you could probably avoid most of them for all summer. But get out into the back country more and in most years, you too, will be able to tell true mosquito stories when you get back home, assuming you survive them. LOL

For inside the RV I like to burn the Pic coils for an hour or so before we hit the bed. Brush your clothes before entering as they will ride in on you and wait till you doze off, for their snacks. (you)

I read some while back, that if you put the US Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, within 5 years, there would be a shortage of sand in that area. The same might work to put them in charge of the mosquitos in Alaska. LOL
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, and a tip to get rid of the buggers inside your RV. A Fantastic Fan is invaluable!
Open another roof vent, or a window, at one end of your RV.
Turn the Fantastic Fan (hopefully at the other end of your RV) on high to exhaust air out.
The little critters will be carried on the air current to the screen of the fan and be pressed against the screen.
Use a paper towel to squish them to oblivion. Gleefully toss the dead buggers away.
Use an old toothbrush to remove left-over mosquito carcass from the screen.

Our 25' fifth wheel has two Fantastic Fans, one at each end (rear kitchen and front bedroom). So one to exhaust air and the other to bring in air, with all the windows closed. This is especially effective.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Yet, mosquitos are more attracted to some people than they are to others.
I rarely get a mosquito bite. Yet my husband will be swarmed.

When I do get a bite, it doesn't bother me much - maybe because I grew up here and developed some sort of immunity.

However, the incessant whine of a mosquito in my ear at night while I'm trying to sleep drives me crazy.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If only mosquitos were found to be useful for a disease like cancer or something then they would not be so plentyful. Ways would be found to harvest them.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
I liked joe b's comment on the other thread when he said that you have to be really quick even when you are in the outhouses on the Denali Highway or the mosquitoes will make you pay!

Our worst mosquito problem last summer was at the Boya Lake Provincial Park campground on the Cassiar Highway. The following day, my wife bought one of the last headnets available in Watson Lake and used it frequently when we were setting up our trailer in public campgrounds. They didn't seem to be as bad in most private campgrounds--generally less water, fewer bushes and trees, and more open gravel "parking lots." Also, more fiberglass and aluminum per square foot of RV park plus more fresh meat (RVers) to divide amongst themselves!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
They can make it awfully difficult to stay still long enough to take a pee, whether you're a human or a dog.

And if you're backwoods tent camping, you scout for a bug-free area for your daily #2. :B
sue t.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Bugs are not bad before breakup and after freezeup, but the time for those events depends on the location in the state

Mosquitoes prefer dark, moist, and still areas...tundra, swamps, and dark forest areas are perfect for them. A breezy, open hilltop will generally not be as much of a bug problem.

Many visitors to Alaska simply don't get far enough off the beaten path to experience/be in the truly buggy areas. A requirement for private flights in Alaska (at least it was a year ago when I last read the regs) is to carry headnets. This requirement is put in place for a reason....make a trek through a couple of miles of tundra and creek bottom and one will understand the reputation of mosquitoes.

A trip in September will be on the tail end of bug season almost everywhere, FWIW
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
You know that they are bad when two of them grab you and then argue over whether to drain you there or take you home for the kids.
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
When we went in 2011 we only had a problem in one area. The Arctic Circle, we were swarmed when we got out for our Kodak moment. At least while we were being eaten alive the mosquitos turned the truck around for us. In all fairness though my blood type is mosquito positive.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a toss up between mosquitos & bush planes for the state bird.

If you have a scanner there is a frequency that you can monitor to hear the skeeter ATC.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

afraid_of_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Mosquitos don't like a breeze.

We bought battery operated fans to use outside when there is no wind.

If you are plugged in, you can run a fan inside your unit as well.

On our first visit, there were no bugs.

During the second visit, the bugs were horrible.

Hopefully, you don't let a few bugs ruin your trip.

They are just part of the adventure.