cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making the plunge

Firehawvvk
Explorer
Explorer
We were going to try to make the trip last year but we are going to make the plunge right after Memorial Day. We are probably making a huge mistake but we have made no plans/reservations of any kind. Not even sure what route we will take or even what our final destination will be. We are leaving from SE Iowa and plan on leaving on June 2nd. Go ahead and pile on.

Bob and Shelley
Bob and Shelley
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 Coachman Catalina 253RKS
22 REPLIES 22

Chiefelectusn
Explorer
Explorer
quoyfab wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Veebyes wrote:

An Alaskan trip is wasted by racing through Canada. The North is a whole package.

X3

Totally agree. I think many folk cross into Canada and keep going until Alaska. In many ways, Canada and the Yukon has much to offer and their Provincial parks are great. Take your time through all of it.

I clearly remember with awe Summit Lake. We stayed overnight at the roadside pull-off and was treated to an absolutely stunning morning view. The lake was a virtual mirror of the snow capped peaks in the distance. I get goose bumps and such a feeling of peace from nature's handiwork. I sat for a wonderful meditation, 'til urged to get going.

quoyfab
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Veebyes wrote:

An Alaskan trip is wasted by racing through Canada. The North is a whole package.

Totally agree. I think many folk cross into Canada and keep going until Alaska. In many ways, Canada and the Yukon has much to offer and their Provincial parks are great. Take your time through all of it.

X2
I clearly remember with awe Summit Lake. We stayed overnight at the roadside pull-off and was treated to an absolutely stunning morning view. The lake was a virtual mirror of the snow capped peaks in the distance. I get goose bumps and such a feeling of peace from nature's handiwork. I sat for a wonderful meditation, 'til urged to get going.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If in Alaska for July 4th, make reservations. If in Canada for July 1st, make reervations. If doing Denali mid season, make reservations, especially for Tek. For the rest, wing it. Be flexible.

Spend time in Canada. Can't beat the Yukon Government CGs. Driving Banff to Jasper puts anywhere else in the Rockies to shame. The Cassiar Highway & the Provincial Parks along it are among the best there are.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
We have made it 3 times. My trip log for all 3 trips are at the website in my signature. The logs give the route we took, where we stopped for fuel, and campsites.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.

Chiefelectusn
Explorer
Explorer
It's a trip of a life time, enjoy, be prepared, talk to local people, lots of information to be had from them.
Don't listen to the naysayers, go slow, enjoy the beauty of the north.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep in mind that many of the 'horror' stories are passed down from years ago. Things change. Years change. Days change. Weather changes. Road conditions change. It will never be the same.

You'll have a great trip...guaranteed!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

Firehawvvk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a lot for all the responses. It really helps ease my mind as I've been reading so much here about all the things that can happen and I'm a bit concerned about trying to have a relatively safe and uneventful journey. Reading all the "horror stories" from others about things that I don't even want to think bout. Thanks again and maybe I'll meet a few of you on our journey.
Bob and Shelley
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 Coachman Catalina 253RKS

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
We are about a week ahead of you. You'll probably pass us soon, haha! We left southern Illinois on the 23rd. Good luck.

dreamer.
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'16 Chevy Silverado - M&G Brake System
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone? - Bob Dylan

quoyfab
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to consider making reservations for the 4th of July. We were in Homer for that period in 2005, and were particular as to where we stayed. Other than that, flying by the seat of your pants should be fine, spontaneity is definitely more fun..

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Yeah, don't worry about the reservations as long as you're prepared to boondock it.
Don't kid yourself, campgrounds WILL fill up in the summer. Namely every campground on the Kenai Pen.
That's the only part of the state I found challenging to get a campsite, but never visited Denali in the summer.
FWIW if down on the Kenai near Cooper Landing and looking for a spot to camp, go up to Cooper Lake. Not a bad drive up from the highway and also not publicized. Can fits moderate TT up the road. Beautiful spot on the lake.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CountryRoad_REV
Explorer
Explorer
We have traveled 23 days and have not made any reservations. Good thing as we are not on a timed schedule and have added many stops. You will enjoy.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
EEWally wrote:

We reserved our 4 nights in Teklanika. You can't just boondock it in Denali NP.

I agree, if you want to stay in Teklanika in Denali which is the farthest campground you can drive, you need reservations. We only made them 3 weeks prior to our planned arrival when we could better judge when we'd be there. We stayed 5 nights there.

However, we got to the area a little early so on a whim we boondocked just north of Telkeetna at a lovely spot. The next morning we drove into Denali and easily secured a spot in Denali's front campground, Riley Creek for an additional 5 nights without a reservation. There were plenty of spots available and we got a huge one for our 40' motorhome.

In all, spending 10 nights in Denali our days were full and we saw THE mountain 7 of 10 days and every one of the big animals living there. Staying IN Denali is the very best!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer
We made reservations on the Alaska Ferry system, of course, (Prince Rupert -> Haines, 5 layovers). With work, we got the most civilized schedule (times-wise) you could imagine.

We reserved our 4 nights in Teklanika. You can't just boondock it in Denali NP.

That was it.
1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal