cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need for tire chains on Yellowstone trip

Fryer5
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving for our first ever trip west May 16 and are very excited. We will be leaving from southern Wisconsin heading through Minnesota and west. We pull our 30’ trailer with a 2wd Nissan nv3500. Heading west and into Yellowstone at this time of year, will we need tire chains? If so, van only or van and trailer?

Thanks in advance
The Fryers
2018 Nissan NVP 3500 SL.
2008 Keystone Passport Ultra-light 290BH
13 REPLIES 13

dedmiston
RGar974417 wrote:
WE went to Yellowstone in May 2016. I bought a pair of slip on chains.The kind that go through the slots in the wheels. We didn't need them. There was snow on the ground in many places but the roads were clear.

I gave each of my kids a set of those for Christmas. I hope they never have to use them.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
WE went to Yellowstone in May 2016. I bought a pair of slip on chains.The kind that go through the slots in the wheels. We didn't need them. There was snow on the ground in many places but the roads were clear.

Fryer5
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the advice. I think I will get a set and plan on not using them. I know my luck, if I don’t have them I will need them.
2018 Nissan NVP 3500 SL.
2008 Keystone Passport Ultra-light 290BH

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Fryer5, You can’t go wrong with a set of cables for the tow vehicle, and .....at least one trailer axle. They’re inexpensive, lightweight, and don’t take up much room. We keep ours with us at all times!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Road opening dates:

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/news/2015-spring-road-opening

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
As long as your plans are flexible I would skip the chains.

wrktfsh
Explorer
Explorer
If I think I may need them, I carry them

dedmiston
Our daughter went to college at the University of Wyoming, which is down south in Laramie. She was there for seven or eight years (I forget) for undergrad and doctorate. Every year without fail, it snowed during finals in May.

We had rented a Class C motorhome from Denver so we could just camp in front of her house for graduation instead of driving back and forth to a motel. It snowed so hard on us on the last two days of the trip that we had to wait until the highways reopened so we could drive back down to Denver and catch our flight home. We barely made it.

So yes, expect snow in May.

I don't think I would bother with chains though. If it snows hard enough for chains, pull off the road and wait it out. Wyoming has plenty of vacant spaces and Walmarts.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
WebCams - https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

Just scroll down to see some roads - like the weatherman Looking out the Window.

West Yellowstone still on the side of the roads but looks to be an Easy Drive.

You know what they say about the weather in Yellowstone - "If you don't like it now, Don't worry it's going to Change:)"

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday morning checked the weather there. In West Yellowstone in the AM it was 13. We're considering a stop off there after RMNP the end of May also. Now we"re thinking maybe it would be better to stop off there on the way back, towards the end of June.
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went to Yellow Stone in 2013 the last week in may and they still had 6 feet of snow on some roads. Lake Yellowstone will be frozen over, the park really doesn't get going till May 31st. But it's a great time to visit not to many people and Artist point water fall is really flowing.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pulling a trailer in snow is a bad idea on mountain roads. If it snows, just wait. It is good to carry chains all the time. Two sets is even better.

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
May. If it snows, it'll be wet heavy stuff that melts practically on contact. Pull off, wait until it melts and move on. It is foolhardy to drive on it (even with chains) if you know it'll be gone in no time at all.
Lynn