cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ovenight parking Greater Sudbury -Sault Ste Marie

pistolpeter55
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to Alaska and we are looking for a place to park for the night between Greater Sudbury and Sault Ste Marie. We parked at Walmart in G Sudbury last year and would prefer some place further west.
Thank you all in advance
Pete and Di
Wildcat 28RKBS, F250 V10, 6.9L extended cab
Enjoying life, retired and on a long road trip, finding new mountains to hike, new trails to bike, and new water to kayak. ๐Ÿ™‚
9 REPLIES 9

tractorboy30
Explorer
Explorer
almcc wrote:
Tripalot wrote:
I haven't been up there for a few years now, but there used to be a truck stop on the north side and I think it was before the turn off to Manitoulin Island. It was called Rainbow Truck Stop. It might still be there and work out for you.

Yes,it's still there (in Nairn Center) and was under renovations last summer.

The link below will give more information. You may want to call to see if they allow overnighters.

Link for Rainbow TS

Theres a Truck stop in Nairn center called Jimmys and an Esso station lots of room to park there for the night and us log and chip haulers will try not to bug you guys and if u want at the turn off to Espanola there is a timmys and wendys with about 6 stops to pull in for the night hope that helps oh if u only want to stop at sudbury there is a petro pass just after the ext for 17 on 69 and u can stay there to but its a busy stop come 8pm good luck and have fun
Frank
Frank

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
I haven't been up there for a few years now, but there used to be a truck stop on the north side and I think it was before the turn off to Manitoulin Island. It was called Rainbow Truck Stop. It might still be there and work out for you.

Yes,it's still there (in Nairn Center) and was under renovations last summer.

The link below will give more information. You may want to call to see if they allow overnighters.

Link for Rainbow TS

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went through there and stopped at the tourist info center at the east end of Blind River because of a torrential downpour. They have free wifi, clean restrooms and a museum next door if you feel like poking around some.

I asked about overnighting and the gal inside said with a big grin, "it's not 'officially allowed' but after we close there's nobody to say no".

When I got up in the morning we were 1 of 3 rigs parked there.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit wrote:
Google maps says 307 km, 3hours 35 min.

๐Ÿ™‚

Unfortunately Google doesn't take into consideration Canada's two seasons (the construction season with the other season being winter :))

About the only time I haven't seen construction on the Trans Canada in the north was the couple of years that Bob Rae spent the fuel taxes on other (less worthwhile) projects.

I recall that there was some construction activity on the east side of SSM that will probably be ongoing in 2013. If the OP is heading north around the top of Superior there is major twinning of the Trans Canada east of Thunder Bay (generally east of the Terry Fox monument), be ready for some flag persons and slow downs.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Google maps says 307 km, 3hours 35 min.

When I had a travel job and did that trip home from The Soo to Sudbury at least 4 x a year, I remember the time being not much over 3 hours.

๐Ÿ™‚
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I don't think you will find a free place to boondock between those cities.

I agree.

We travel that route each year and I can't recall any boondocking stops except perhaps for the Husky Travel plaza on the east side of SSM, it was rebuilt a couple of years ago and has lots of space for trucks in the rear, you may want to call and ask if they allow overnighters. We stop there for diesel fuel on the way to a campsite at Rabbit Blanket Lake in Lake Superior PP. There is space in the back at Husky to throw out your slides.

If you stay in Sudbury it's probably 4 hr. to SSM.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I don't think you will find a free place to boondock between those cities.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RangerJay
Explorer
Explorer
There are a number of campgrounds between Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie that would be pleased to have your business for a night or more.

Jay
2002 Bambi 19' - the "Toaster"
2009 Nissan Pathfinder - the "Buggy"