cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Passport book vs Passport card

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
For going through Canada on the way to AK is there any advantage of getting a passport Book vs the cheaper passport card?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
9 REPLIES 9

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
The cards are nice for kids, and also cost a lot less (books are only good for 5 years anyway for kids). For adults, IMO, the book makes a lot more sense.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Community Alumni
Not applicable
wilber1 wrote:
When we are just going a short distance across the border we just use Nexus. If we are going any distance, we always take passports as well.

Same for us.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
When we are just going a short distance across the border we just use Nexus. If we are going any distance, we always take passports as well.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I see the card as value to the frequent border crosser. We have both never know when an international travel may enter our plans.

x2. Plus in both hubby and my lines of work we never know when we might have to go to a site that requires proof of US citizenship and the card is perfect for that. MA just got on board with the RealID licenses.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I see the card as value to the frequent border crosser. We have both never know when an international travel may enter our plans.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
You made me get my Passport Card out to check the expiration date. Good for 10 years.
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
For land border crossing there is no advantage or disadvantage. If for some reason you had to fly back from Canada, having the book would make things a whole lot easier. If you think you may travel overseas to some other country than Canada or Mexico in the next several years it would be a little cheaper overall to get the book now rather than having to "upgrade."

If you live in one of the few states that issue them, getting an enhanced driver's license is probably the least expensive way to get travel documentation for going to Canada.

The above is so true, more valuable of the two is the book, if not just for the situation mentioned above.

DW and I have both, we also enjoy going on Cruises and the card is great as it is the same size as the ships Sea Pass.

It also is a great form of identification, even here in the US.

Both the card and book are good for 10 years for an adult, a child's is a shorter term. Book is $110 and Card is $30, the other cost is getting the necessary Passport picture.

Here is a link to helpful information.

Passport Info
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
For land border crossing there is no advantage or disadvantage. If for some reason you had to fly back from Canada, having the book would make things a whole lot easier. If you think you may travel overseas to some other country than Canada or Mexico in the next several years it would be a little cheaper overall to get the book now rather than having to "upgrade."

If you live in one of the few states that issue them, getting an enhanced driver's license is probably the least expensive way to get travel documentation for going to Canada.

Above is absolutely correct. If you were in Canada and had an emergency that forced you to fly back to USA, the book would make the process easier.

The cost of the card is around $50 and it is valid for 10 years. The book is around $110 and it is valid for 10 years (these prices quoted from 2006 and may be off a little).

Lakeside

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II