cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Philadelphia to Cape Cod

gokart2
Explorer
Explorer
In mid June we need to travel, in our 37' MH and toad, from the Philly area to Cape Cod and have no idea concerning the best route in a MH. Generally mapquest says take I-95. Is that the best route through this very busy part of the NE. For those familiar with the areas - would you follow mapquest to Cape Cod from Philly in a MH? If not, what would be your recommendation"s/alternative's?
7 REPLIES 7

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver wrote:
There are low bridges on the Parkways mentioned above, so trucks and RVs aren't allowed. RVs can take the Garden State Parkway and that was the way we always went when going up to the Cape, along with the Tappan Zee and I95 to I195 at Providence.
Yeah, I remember those little stone overpasses that seem to be about 8 feet high... 🙂 The GSP is a decent enough way to get to N Jersey as well, depends on where in the "Philly area" the OP's are - getting to the GSP from, say, King of Prussia or Bensalem is not exactly straight forwards. I've lived on both edges of New Jersey, and done the route from either side dozens of times. It never really gets hectic until the GSP and NJTP merge up there near Newark.
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every time we've made the trip we've planned to hit the Tappan Zee around lunch time and have very seldom been delayed by traffic and then not for very long. Another area to avoid at rush hour is through Providence.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
gokart2 wrote:
In mid June we need to travel, in our 37' MH and toad, from the Philly area to Cape Cod and have no idea concerning the best route in a MH. Generally mapquest says take I-95. Is that the best route through this very busy part of the NE. For those familiar with the areas - would you follow mapquest to Cape Cod from Philly in a MH? If not, what would be your recommendation"s/alternative's?

I would go from Philly up to 81 then 81 to 78 to 287 north to 87 north to 84 @ Newburgh,NY...then stay on 84 thru Ct to Mass and take 90 to 495 out to the Cape.....Now, some will say that this is longer than 95, and it probably is...but I would go this way and get to the Cape at least an hour before the others on the Tap and 95...safe trip...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
JimFromJersey wrote:
I have not done it in a while, but the old 95N to GWB to Henry Hudson Parkway to Sawmill Parkway to Cross-County to Hutchinson River Parkway to Cross Westchester Expressway to 95N pathway to CT and beyond can be a nightmare 🙂 I would definitely take the Tappan Zee bridge, and then follow 287 back to I-95. I don't think I'd recommend the Merritt, as I believe that your MH would be a no-no there too.

There are low bridges on the Parkways mentioned above, so trucks and RVs aren't allowed. RVs can take the Garden State Parkway and that was the way we always went when going up to the Cape, along with the Tappan Zee and I95 to I195 at Providence.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
I have not done it in a while, but the old 95N to GWB to Henry Hudson Parkway to Sawmill Parkway to Cross-County to Hutchinson River Parkway to Cross Westchester Expressway to 95N pathway to CT and beyond can be a nightmare 🙂 I would definitely take the Tappan Zee bridge, and then follow 287 back to I-95. I don't think I'd recommend the Merritt, as I believe that your MH would be a no-no there too.
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
demoon wrote:
At the very least, I would skip the George Washington Bridge, by going north on the Garden State and taking the Tappan Zee Bridge. I suspect that some folks will make some suggestions about taking I84 further north, and making your way toward the Cape further east. Not a bad idea either. I95 can be pretty congested in CT.

95 but agree on the Tappan Zee. Anything else is way out of the way...just avoid southern CT during rush hour.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

demoon
Explorer
Explorer
At the very least, I would skip the George Washington Bridge, by going north on the Garden State and taking the Tappan Zee Bridge. I suspect that some folks will make some suggestions about taking I84 further north, and making your way toward the Cape further east. Not a bad idea either. I95 can be pretty congested in CT.