cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommended Route in the Smokies

The_LeRoys
Explorer
Explorer
We are staying a few days at Bryson City this summer, and then a few in Cades Cove. We are looking for the easiest / best route to travel when moving from Bryson City area over to Cades Cove.

Driving over New Found Gap or Deal's Gap sounds pretty challenging pulling a 35' camper. But then again driving all the way north to I40 to cross seems like a long way out of the way.

We pulled the camper on about 100 miles of the blue ridge parkway last year and we'd lie to avoid that white knuckle driving experience.

Any recommendations?
Brian & Evie LeRoy and our 4 kids.
2013 KZ Spree 329IK
2006 Ford F250 6.0L
2008 Ford E350 v10
9 REPLIES 9

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
In all honesty if the BRP gave you white knuckles, take I-40. I-40 to US-411 at Newport TN. Then thru Sevierville and Pigeon Forge and US-321 to Townsend and TN-73 into the park.

My thoughts exactly. If you didn't enjoy BRP, they you wouldn't even enjoy the stretch from Sugarlands Visitor Center to the junction with 73 near Townsend. Good news is though that you shouldn't have a problem going into Cades Cove.

Best fuel prices on the route is the Walmart at Newport. Over in Townsend, there is fuel at descent price at IGA a couple miles to the right from where 321 turns in Townsend.

You have already been advised against Rt 129. I enjoy it and the shocked looks from the photographers stationed along the road, but I don't have a trailer.

Furthermore, don't take Foothills Parkway off of I-40 if you do decide to go through Gatlinburg. Instead go up one more exit to Hwy 321. Foothills Parkway goes up and over a mountain, definitely not enjoyable for you.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
My appoligies for the bad advice. I was not aware that streach of road, 129, is the infamous "tail of the dragon". Thanks for the education. I agree too, that if the BRP gave you white knuckles then go the long way to I40. The post above is the best route for you. x2 do not go thru downtown Gatlinburg. when you get to Winfield dunn parkway just stay in the right hand lane to 321(wears valley rd.) Enter the park at Townsend.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
In all honesty if the BRP gave you white knuckles, take I-40. I-40 to US-411 at Newport TN. Then thru Sevierville and Pigeon Forge and US-321 to Townsend and TN-73 into the park. I would not want to take my trailer thru downtown Gatlinburg. And the Little River Road from Surgarlands south to Cades Cove is another that you will cross center on. Mountain on one side of the road, river on the other side.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
X3 ... Do NOT take 'Tail of the Dragon'!!! Oh, it can be done. Delivery trucks do it...BUT...Car & motorcycle RACERS think its their personal race track. They will kick your butt if U get in their way or cause them a problem!
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
Heed moonlightrunners advice......... DO NOT go on 129 !! It is impossible to travel that road with a 35' trailer without going left of center about 200 times. I've ridden motorcycles there a few dozen times, and seen many of them go left of center too.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

moonlightrunner
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT TAKE DEAL'S GAP!!!! The road is called "Tail of the Dragon". 318 curves in 11 miles. Very popular sports car/motorcycle drive. check out the pics... http://killboy.com/ and the truck pics http://tailofthedragon.com/dragon_trucks.html If you have problems with hwy 28 or BRP then you will be horrified at US 129.

BTW, My friends father and a group of his friends came backover that same road, back in the early '70's in 10 vehicles doing 90mph around midnight. All of the drivers, except for two, had the same "history" as my friend's father who learned to race cars back when he ran his father's moonshine.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Well, Cades Cove is at the west end of the park. Looking at the map there is NC 28, over to rt. 129 to Fooot hills parkway to 321 to Townsend, TN. I have not been on 28 or 129 so I don't know how twisty turny or hilly they are. 441 I have been on many times and see alot of RVs of all sizes go thru the gap. You are in the mountains so you can't get away from the steep grades any way you go. The road thru the park from 441 to Cades cove is a typical park road, not extreamly wide and with its share of grades and sharp turns. Myself, I would take the chance and go the western route. It couldn't be any worse, right?? Just take your time and be careful, the people behind you will get over it. lol.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know the answer but I have a rule to stay off any highway marked `scenic' on the map.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest driving is I-40, but it's like going from the thumb over the shoulder to get to the pinkie. Best compromise is probably US 441 over Newfound Gap. 441 has wider lanes and mostly more gentle curves than the BRP. It's mostly just steep.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')