cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REDWOOD CITY,CA TO LEE VINING,CA

TWO_4_THE_ROAD
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to redwood city,ca and then wanting to go to Toulleme Meadows/lee vining. I see in the map that Hwy 120 is a pretty direct route. My question is how is the road/grade. Pulling a 30ft 5eer. Chev/ 2500hd duramax Allison. Is pulling a rig like this recommended on the route?
07 Forestriver Flagstaff 8528GTSS, 07 Chev,2500hd, D/A, , 2000 Mitsubisi Eclipse. ,DW Kathy,DD Maggie
9 REPLIES 9

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
That route is fine as well as you could take 88 to 395 and go that way.

Or 50 t0 395.
2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison, 2024 Cougar 27SGS

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
What route did you take? I can't believe people are afraid of 120. I've taken my motorhome over it many times. 45 foot tour busses go over it all the time. I used to have land up at the top of Priest Grade and I bought a couple of doubles loads of gravel and the truck driver took his semi-truck up it with all that gravel! I sure hope you didn't go all the way around to I-80.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
120 is no problem with a trailer, as long as you know how to downshift and you use the pullouts to let the traffic go by. We have gone from Groveland to Lee Vining and back many times, and my truck is not nearly as powerful as yours is!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

TWO_4_THE_ROAD
Explorer
Explorer
thank you all for your advice,, I appreciate it..
07 Forestriver Flagstaff 8528GTSS, 07 Chev,2500hd, D/A, , 2000 Mitsubisi Eclipse. ,DW Kathy,DD Maggie

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
That route is fine as well as you could take 88 to 395 and go that way.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
drmopar wrote:
Will your trip involve climbing the "New Priest Grade" ? on 120? You do NOT want to. Very, Very steep, no guardrails in most spots, and for sure to overheat if it is hot out.

According to Cal Trans, New Priest Grade is 4 percent. Old Priest Grade is 17percent, also according to Cal Trans.

I would think even with the many curves, it is doable and probably a little slow, but faster than going around and up 50 or I-80 and then to Lee Vining. Tioga is steeper than NPG so just gear down.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Travelon
Explorer
Explorer
Discount the 2 previous scaremongers...I have driven 120 both ways with our 37' 5er, no problem going or coming. The DuraMax/Allison combo can take it without a worry. Enjoy the scenery and drive.

Travelon
2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Coming down Tioga pass will be interesting with a trailer. I would go around on I-80.

drmopar
Explorer
Explorer
Will your trip involve climbing the "New Priest Grade" ? on 120? You do NOT want to. Very, Very steep, no guardrails in most spots, and for sure to overheat if it is hot out.