cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Road between Grand Canyon and Arches

ferrelldebbie
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering about some nice places to stop and picnic or sightsee between. Grand Canyon and Arches. Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
...The simplest route it US160 to US191. Using US163 for part of that gives access to Monument Valley, Mexican Hat, Goosenecks State Park...
Also along this route are: Bluff Fort, Sand Island Petroglyphs, South Fork of Mule Canyon and House on Fire, The Valley of The Gods, Edge of the Cedars State Park, the Dinosaur Museum, Needles District of Canyonlands National Park, and Newspaper Rock.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The simplest route it US160 to US191. Using US163 for part of that gives access to Monument Valley, Mexican Hat, Goosenecks State Park.

UT261 climbs the switchbacks of Mokee Dugway, and also pass the start of the dirt Valley of the Gods drive.

Natural Bridges NM is accessible from 261 or 95 from 191.

East of 191 is Hovenweep NM

US89 to Page (with possible side trip on 89A to Marble Canyon crosisng) gives access to sights in south central Utah - north rim Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef. But those are all destinations in their own right, not just waysides on the long way around to Arches.

276 crosses Lake Powell on a ferry at Halls Crossing.

ferrelldebbie
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, guys! Admitted newbie with a rented C class here. Hubby is used to trucks of all sizes so he can do the tough stretches. I will take over on the highway stretches. Thank you so much for all of your help.
Debbie

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sometimes you need to be proactive and reed the profile on newbies.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I confess it never occurred to me, and actually seems a bit much to expect people to investigate the OP before replying. And I just looked at her profile which says nothing informative. I guess you went back and read all nine of her posts to come across that info. Sorry I have other things to do.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
Do you mean Hwy 12? I guess I'm immunized to concern over roads like that. I started driving on them back in California in the 70's when I was in the Navy there. I found the most hair-raising switchback I've ever been on, on some dirt road north of Napa. I couldn't find it now If I wanted to. But maybe you have a point, other than the extreme grades for maybe 5 miles on 12 I don't think the road is that challenging. But again I'm a poor judge of other peoples mountain driving abilities.

If you mean Hell's backbone, I wouldn't drive an RV on Hell's Backbone, tho actually I don't recall any extreme grades or switchbacks. But we stopped and turned around after the bridge so I don't know what the last part of the trip is like. As I recall it was about 90 percent a drive in some very nice forest areas and the other 10 percent that bridge area, which I guess is where it got it's name. I just looked at a description of the rest of the road and it must get more 'interesting' so we stopped too soon.

But on the other hand did I miss something? The only thing I saw from the OP contained no info on what he was driving or what type of RV either. And his address line just says 'west'. Someone who lives out 'west' stands a better chance of some experience with mountain roads than someone from FL (like me) does after all. My wife for example refuses to touch the steering wheel once the first real mountain shows up on the horizon.

Sometimes you need to be proactive and reed the profile on newbies.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you mean Hwy 12? I guess I'm immunized to concern over roads like that. I started driving on them back in California in the 70's when I was in the Navy there. I found the most hair-raising switchback I've ever been on, on some dirt road north of Napa. I couldn't find it now If I wanted to. But maybe you have a point, other than the extreme grades for maybe 5 miles on 12 I don't think the road is that challenging. But again I'm a poor judge of other peoples mountain driving abilities.

If you mean Hell's backbone, I wouldn't drive an RV on Hell's Backbone, tho actually I don't recall any extreme grades or switchbacks. But we stopped and turned around after the bridge so I don't know what the last part of the trip is like. As I recall it was about 90 percent a drive in some very nice forest areas and the other 10 percent that bridge area, which I guess is where it got it's name. I just looked at a description of the rest of the road and it must get more 'interesting' so we stopped too soon.

But on the other hand did I miss something? The only thing I saw from the OP contained no info on what he was driving or what type of RV either. And his address line just says 'west'. Someone who lives out 'west' stands a better chance of some experience with mountain roads than someone from FL (like me) does after all. My wife for example refuses to touch the steering wheel once the first real mountain shows up on the horizon.
Superbumper

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus,retired in utah, I don't think I would be sending the OP on roads like that. Think Rookie, first time driving a rented rig.
Bill
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

retired_in_utah
Explorer
Explorer
Highway 12 is a very scenic and interesting route. I have done it several times with my 5er and, although a narrow and steep road in some places is very doable if you take it slowly and use a little caution.
2016 Ford F350 Dually
2011 Mobile Suites 36TKSB3
Reese 25K Hitch
Michelin 17.5 XTA Radials

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
We were camping in Escalante and drove the Backbone in our 2012 4WD F350. But my wife's Corolla could just as easily have done it. I would not tow an Rv around the route tho.
Superbumper

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
Whoops yes, Hell's Backbone not Devil's. I found it failed to live up to the name but it was an excellent drive none the less.

Excellent drive in what?
Bill
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
-Mark Twain

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Whoops yes, Hell's Backbone not Devil's. I found it failed to live up to the name but it was an excellent drive none the less.
Superbumper

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Then if you are taking the scenic route, turn off further along onto Ut 12 east. It has steep and winding road spots so be warned but it is -very scenic-. If you go that way you'll pass Bryce Canyon NP. Then pass Escalante State Park just before Escalante (good slot canyons in the area along with the Devils Backbone Drive), Then ahead is Anastazi State Park Museum at the town of Boulder. 12 ends at Hwy 12, to the left is Capital Reef NP turn right to go to I-70. Take I-70 east for about 30 miles and exit at US 191 south to Moab.
Here are some links to places along the Ut-12 Scenic Byway: Burr Trail, Escalante Petrified Forest State Park, Kodachrome Basin State Park, Anasazi State Park, Calf Creek Falls, Hells Backbone and Bryce Canyon National Park.

UT-12 runs from US-89 South of Panquitch to UT-24 at Torrey. UT-24 connects to I-70 at Vermillion to the West and near Green River to the East. Capitol Reef National Park is East of the UT-12/24 junction. Just North of Hanksville, UT-24 will take you past Goblin Valley State Park.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stopped in Las Vegas for about a week going between Grand Canyon and Arches. Sorry I couldn't help myself. But it is true.
Bill
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
-Mark Twain

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're talking about a one-day drive between the two, it's about 350+ miles depending which route you take. That's a long day of two-lane roads to include siteseeing. Plan to stop midway for a couple days and explore before continuing onward. Bryce Nat'l Park would be my recommendation and then take Hwy 12 toward Arches.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel