cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

road to RaceTrack Death Valley and Titus Canyon - Dually?

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Has anyone driven with a dually and a TC out to the RaceTrack in Death Valley?

How about Titus Canyon?
12 REPLIES 12

tandk
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much! Looking forward to seeing the park ๐Ÿ™‚
Tim and Kathy, Topa the Wonder Dog
2003 Nash 21 5R
2002 Chevy 2500HD, SB, Duramax diesel, Allison tranny
Twin Honda EU2000i

Rug
Explorer II
Explorer II
tandk,

Farabee's Jeep rental.

we rented the 2 door 195.00 a day.

Worth every penny. We did not have to take our truck down those roads.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

tandk
Explorer
Explorer
Rug, we are headed that way in a week. Were the jeeps expensive to rent? We have a Chevy 2500HD, but not 4x. Several roads are closed right now, but I thought it might be nice to take the jeep if it isn't too much.
Tim and Kathy, Topa the Wonder Dog
2003 Nash 21 5R
2002 Chevy 2500HD, SB, Duramax diesel, Allison tranny
Twin Honda EU2000i

TJMarc
Explorer
Explorer
If you do make it out to Death Valley...Eureka Dunes is doable. The fenders took a beating and I invested in flaps shortly after. I also told myself I'd tow the jeep next time.
2017 Ram 3500 DRW/6.7 CTD/AISIN/3.73
2013 AF 811
2004 Jeep TJ (slightly modded)
18' PJ Buggy Hauler

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you go to the Race Track with your dually, I'd at least "air down" from the high pressure your tires are set to for highway use. In our Jeep, we go down to 12 lbs on that road... VERY washboardy.

According to the NPS website, Titus is currently closed due to snow.
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

Rug
Explorer II
Explorer II
We drove titus canyon in our two wheel drive dually. Just take it nice and slow no problem. Its a one way only canyon drive.

I would not drive our dually to the race track.
We rented a jeep for all the back roads.

We need our dually to pull the trailer. You are along way from help if you need it. You do not want any problems out there with the truck.
There is no cell service.

With a rented Jeep they give you a way to contact them if you need help.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Titus is indeed one way. No problem for a dually with 4 wheel drive. It can get slick in the rain. Take your time and make some stops along the way -- Leadville is interesting, as are the mosaic rock formations toward the bottom of the canyon.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Been to racetrack once. Road is generally plenty wide to pass. Each can lean to one side and get by fine. Watch for the dust of an oncoming vehicle to avoid a narrow spot when you meet. Good chance you will not pass a single vehicle. Allow 2 to 3 hours each way. Can't comment on the dually but did see a few full size vehicles. If you have a vintage tea pot there is probably room for a donation at teakettle junction.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
2gypsies wrote:
Here's a YouTube on the Race Track drive. What would you do for an oncoming vehicle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XKthpe3zo8

Same goes for the Titus Canyon drive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTYB3s4ABG0

We did it in our Jeep with no problem.

Thank you, I've done Titus Canyon in a jeep Wrangler twice. I remember it being one way so I didn't think space for 2 vehicles would be an issue.

My real question is taking a DRW out on a road like those, since I'm new to duallys. I know they're not really for offroading, but for me the whole point of getting a TC rather than a TT or 5th wheel is so I can go a little off road. For regular forest service roads I can tow a trailer with a full ton SRW and have way more space and a more capable off road and snow vehicle.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a YouTube on the Race Track drive. What would you do for an oncoming vehicle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XKthpe3zo8

Same goes for the Titus Canyon drive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTYB3s4ABG0

We did it in our Jeep with no problem.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
There are two routes to Racetrack. As of about a month ago, the improved road had significant washboarding, but would be passable with probably any street vehicle. No problem with the width, as long as you respect the oncoming traffic.

The back country route was tight for a Jeep (technically an FJ Cruiser), though we did see some full-size trucks that apparently took that route. I think a dually would be too wide. Not a chance I would try it.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
The road to race track should be OK. It's a popular route. The last time I was on it it was nice and wide and fairly smooth.
I haven't been on it since the floods a few years back.