cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rocky Mt NP to Mesa Verde

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for someone that knows the roads in the Rockies in the Denver area.

Doing some early planning for a trip from Ma to Ut late next Sept for a couple months. Early plan is spend a few days east side of RMNP, then drive to Timber Creek on the west side for a few nights, then to Mesa Verde before hitting Ut. Google shows it's doable but it doesn't take into consideration one is towing a trailer.

I do have the option to leave the trailer on the east side and stay at a hotel in Grand Lake for a couple nights, returning to the east side before heading to Mesa Verde.

Questions:
How's 34 from the east to west side of the park, when towing?

Google shows a few option to get from Grand Lake to MV,
285/160
70/50/62/145
and 70/191/491
Are any of these viable towing my FW, or should I use plan B and figure on going the hotel route.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA
9 REPLIES 9

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Padlin wrote:

Doing some early planning for a trip from Ma to Ut late next Sept for a couple months. Early plan is spend a few days east side of RMNP, then drive to Timber Creek on the west side for a few nights, then to Mesa Verde before hitting Ut. Google shows it's doable but it doesn't take into consideration one is towing a trailer.

I do have the option to leave the trailer on the east side and stay at a hotel in Grand Lake for a couple nights, returning to the east side before heading to Mesa Verde.

Questions:

285/160

70/50/62/145
and 70/191/491
Are any of these viable towing my FW, or should I use plan B and figure on going the hotel route.

Regarding your route from RMNP to MV, I've used US 285/US 160 many times and for me, it's the best route. "Best" is subjective, by that I mean, easiest to drive, most scenic (for me), and excellent roadway, with less traffic than I-70.

If you choose that route, take US 36 out of Estes Park down to Lyons, and then take CO 66 across from Lyons through the north part of Longmont and get on I-25 there. If you take US 36 down through Boulder and on to Denver, you'll run into a LOT of construction on the Boulder Turnpike part of US 36 and traffic will be exponentially heavier.

From I-25/CO 66 go south to where I-76 splits off and joins I-70. Take I-70 west to CO 470, which loops around the west side of the Denver Metro area. You can pick up US 285 south near Morrison, and take it through some of the most beautiful parts of Colorado. Once you get off CO 470, you'll have good (but a bit twisty) 4-lane roadway as you climb the canyon up to the Evergreen/Conifer area, and it does come out of the canyon fairly quickly. It's good 4-lane/3-lane to Pine Junction area, where you'll descend into Bailey. From Bailey south, you'll be on 2 lane to Kenosha Pass. STOP at Kenosha Pass! The vistas there are truly breathtaking, you can see all of South Park, and it is simply awe inspiring!

(As a sidebar to this, for a while I was driving from Loveland to Conifer several times a month solo, for 2-3 years and for me, this was the best route to avoid major traffic congestion on that route)

The trip across South Park is not difficult. Even though you're at elevation (9000 feet +), it's reasonably flat, with a few very minor passes until you get to Johnson Village/Buena Vista area. Heading south over Poncha Pass is not difficult, and once over, you'll have the vistas of the San Luis Valley, another sight to behold!

Once you join up with US 160, the only real challenge is Wolf Creek Pass, but it's been improved over the years and it's really not as difficult as it used to be. Yes, it's a climb. Yes, it's a long way down on the west side, but it's good roadway and MH/trailers do it all the time as a major E/W route. Once you get down to Pagosa Springs, it's really a pleasant drive in to Durango and on to Mesa Verde.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
How heavy is your TT and do you have the towing package on the truck. Either the southern or northern route is going to run over some high passes. Wolf Creek Pass in the south or I think Eisenhower tunnel in the north. I believe Eisenhower tunnel has a notoriously long grade and is used by truck reviewers to test trucks. But being on an interstate the grades are limited to 7%.

We never had a problem with either even when we had a F-150 5.4L or a Suburban before that. Most of these passes are around 11,000 ft as are a lot of other Colorado passes.

List of Mountain Passes in Colorado

Face this fact, you will be climbing mountains once you enter Colorado past the front range.

Oh yes something just occurred to me, the pass in RMNP is 14,000 ft to go from the east to the west side and I don't think they allow you to tow trailers over it. You should check before you make plans.

The highest roadway point in RMNP is just a shade over 12000 feet near Fall River Pass, close to the Alpine Visitor's Center. Iceberg Pass is just under 12000 feet, and Milner Pass at the Continental Divide sign on the west side, is at 10800 feet. There are no restrictions for towing trailers over Trail Ridge Rd, and indeed folks do it, as well as the very large tour buses. Commercial vehicles are not allowed on Trail Ridge, with the exception of delivery trucks taking product/merchandise to the Alpine Visitor's Center.

You may be thinking of Mount Evans Road outside Idaho Springs, which I believe has a restriction on trailers/motor homes above Summit Lake, and is at 14000 feet. It, and Pikes Peak Rd are the only roadways in the continental USA that reach 14000 feet. Longs Peak in RMNP is the only 14er in the park, and is the northernmost 14er in the continental USA.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in Estes 8 years and Thom02099 states it very well in regards to Hwy 34 but I should add there are blind hairpin turns on the west side. You have no control over how much of the road the other guy feels is his and, trust me on this, in the mountains there are people who feel their half is out of the middle.

As stated, it is your comfort level with all this that is to be the deciding factor.

Be safe.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks, appreciate the answers. I'm still a rookie on your mountains, burned up my brakes last month in Wy. I've been informed on correct braking so if I'm not too old to learn next year will be uneventful in that regard. As far as how hairy the drop offs are, I'll admit to being a white knuckle driver.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Padlin wrote:

Questions: How's 34 from the east to west side of the park, when towing?

285/160
70/50/62/145
and 70/191/491

To answer your specific question about US 34/Trail Ridge Rd, in RMNP from east to west -- it is doable. Much depends on your experience and comfort level. A goodly portion of this drive is above timberline, so there is a lot of exposure to winds. Also, there is a LOT of shelf road, very narrow road with no shoulder and drop-offs in the hundreds of feet and no guard rails. Even though the crowds are less in September, you'll still have to contend with traffic, particularly on the weekends.

You mentioned late September of next year. I was just up there last weekend, it was very cold while I was up there, and alternately in clouds/fog and bright sunshine. There was also some snow, particularly on the west side by the Alpine Visitor's Center. This is the usual weather for late September/early October, and it can be very changeable, and very quickly.

Additionally, this past weekend saw Saturday as a free day in RMNP and it was a total madhouse as far as traffic. Bumper-to-bumper traffic, Estes Park was an absolute zoo, even on the Sunday when we went up there (I never go up on a Saturday). RMNP usually does the free day this time of year.

Timber Creek campground is not what it used to be. Formerly, it was in a forest of pine, but due to beetle kill, all of the trees were cut down, and frankly, it's ugly. Granted, it's not busy there, but getting there from the east can be...daunting. I would recommend driving solo over to Grand Lake and not tow across.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Padlin wrote:

Great time to be in Colorado -Elk Rut and Aspen changing is as good as it gets. Rt 34, Trail Ridge is not that bad (I love it) really no problem on the drive as the speed limit is usually 25 in most of the Park. Winds a bit and not a lot of pull outs so best advice is to drive it before 10 in the AM and then just take the TV over and back to see the sights. If you have the interest there are many hikes to get you into the beauty of the park and I would suggest you make an effort to spend a day off the roads.

No need to leave the trailer just take your time and enjoy the drive and the Park.

Questions:

No Problem, IMHO

285/160
70/50/62/145
and 70/191/491

Out of Grand Lake head over to Kremmling then down to Silverthorne on 9, then take 91 into Leadville if you have time unhook spend the night and take the TV on 82 Independence pass for a day trip to aspen and back.

Then I would head to Ouray and Gunison Canyon NP along with the San Juan's

Probably take 145 Lizard Head Pass to Mesa Verde, but you could take 550 if you are good with the mountain driving by now.

More info from and older Post;

Not to over use an earlier post -- but this will provide you with just a few of many things to see an do in Colorado;

Will pose this as another option to the easy straight forward drive to Moab, or Mesa Verde NP

Colorado, and the many options for a trip.

Let me start off by saying that IMHO Colorado offers as much Adventure and Beauty as any part of the country โ€“ add to that that is very close to the center of the US and itโ€™s exceptional weather make it a great destination vacation.

In my first dozen plus trips to Colorado I usually traveled to RMNP and Colorado Springs. Having spent most of my life either on the left coast or the right coast I actually only did the touristy drive through when going from one coast to the other. I never really was able to spend much time just being immersed in the culture or the people and land of the state. Having seen the Coors commercials I was under the impression that Golden was a town located deep in the Rockies โ€“ not just 15 minutes from downtown Denver. You can imagine my surprise when I discovered this and so much more about the state when my son moved there in 2002.

With my truth in a very limited -knowledge, on the state of Colorado I will move forward with my personal suggestions for a week or two in Colorado โ€“ a sort of 7-17 days to see the state.

As I write this the price of fuel is at an all time high so the thought is to try to park the RV or create a Base Camp and travel out from there in the Toad/TV.

Most people will start in Rocky Mountain NP โ€“ I am sure most are aware of the Pine Beetle Kill โ€“ it has decimated the beautiful green forest of RMNP โ€“ making it a very different trip from what it was just 5-6 years ago. Still it is RMNP and it does have some very impressive natural features and hikes to offer. IMHO Estes is (the east side of the park โ€“ where most visit) just not that attractive in the tourist season. The Camp Grounds leave much to be desired and the town is much to crowded for my personal taste. With that said I love to visit and spend time on the other side of the park โ€“ WEST- at Grand Lake a smaller town with still a sort of quaint feel about it, much more family oriented and not nearly as crowded. The drive from one side of the park to the other over Trail Ridge is not to be missed โ€“ the many hiking areas away from the crowds are many and varied โ€“ from Longs Peaks- 14,000โ€™+ to many of the hikes to lesser known peaks and lakes, more than enough to spend the entire trip on and only scratch the surface.

Peak to Peak drive is the next thing I would insist that you experience โ€“ for me I would base camp in Golden and make this drive a couple of times, or make the loop across Trail Ridge and Berthoud Pass โ€“ not a drive for the faint of heart as both offer switch backs and areas free from guard rails on some very impressive grades to get over and down from these Passes.

With Golden Clear Creek CG as my base you could option to go into the town of Denver or Boulder both are full of adventures on there own. Leaving Golden I would head out Rt 6 to I-70 getting off at Rt 91 and heading to Leadville, Highest incorporated Town in the US 10,000โ€™and home of Quincyโ€™s Steak House for a Leadville dinner. Turquoise Lake, 4X4 trails, historic town, and base for a day trip over Independence Pass and a dash to Maroon Bells in Aspen. This trip is good anytime the pass is open but is truly spectacular in the last week of September when the Aspen turn GOLD.

From Leadville down to Buena Vista โ€“ home of the Arkansas River Rafting adventures โ€“ great in the early summer with the snow melt. If you have missed the rafting at itโ€™s peak not to worry as the trails and drives in the Collegiate Peaks are again very special, you can get all the way over to Crested Butte โ€“ a very neat little ski town โ€“ by 4X4 or gravel road.

Just a note here โ€“ the beetle kill is starting to leave its mark in this part of the state โ€“ so my advice is to see it NOW, before it changes forever.

Now for some difficult decisions โ€“ Gunnison area โ€“ Lake City โ€“ Ouray โ€“ Silverton โ€“ if you have the time all of the afore mentioned areas are special.

Gunnison โ€“ Crested Butte โ€“ Gunnison lake โ€“ Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP โ€“ Fly fishing โ€“ hikes -- 4X4ing.

Lake City โ€“ Just a special little town that still has a western charm that is hard to match โ€“ 4X4 trails to die for โ€“ hikes โ€“ lakes โ€“ 14ers โ€“ fish โ€“ Creede and on and on โ€“ its is just located in something close to an unspoiled paradise. JMHO.

Ouray โ€“ would be the logical base camp choice โ€“ central location โ€“ hot springs โ€“ CG โ€“ Near Silverton โ€“ more trails โ€“ Telluride just over the mountain โ€“ Hikes -- 4X4 trails just a great location and neat little town.

Silverton โ€“ in the middle of it all โ€“ if you are really into the back country this might just be for you โ€“ they have CGโ€™s in town but you can easily Boondock in the NF โ€“ train โ€“ 4X4 trails โ€“ quaint โ€“ beautiful โ€“ but isolated.

Now if the weather is really cool you can always bounce over to Utah and warm up if its great and you need more Colorado head up to Delta and Rt 133, catch Marble and Redstone before getting back on I-70 two interesting areas with neat little historyโ€™s. If you did not get over to Maroon Bells catch it now โ€“ this is a great treat that I will never visit too often.

Now if you are headed west just follow the route into Moab โ€“ if you are headed back to Denver just take I-70 back โ€“ the over and under highway along the Colorado River just East of Glenwood Springs is considered one of the most beautiful parts on the Interstate Highway system and it will head through Vail and right back into Denver โ€“ If you can remember to get off at the exit just east of Idaho Springs you can take Rt 6 back to Rt 58 into the City.

Map did not print.

Keys to the map;
1- Golden Clear Creek CG 2 โ€“ Rt 6 3 โ€“ Nederland 4 โ€“ Estes Park 5 - Central City/Blackhawk 6 โ€“ Exit 244 to I-70 7 โ€“ Exit 195 to Rt91 to Leadville 8 โ€“ Leadville 9 โ€“ Twin Lakes to Rt 82 Independence Pass to Aspen/Maroon Bells 10 โ€“ Maroon Bells 11 - Buena Vista/Arkansas River Rafting and Collegiate Peaks 12 โ€“ Gunnison 13 โ€“ Lake City 14 โ€“ Near Cimarron access to Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP 15 โ€“ Ouray 16 โ€“ Silverton 17 โ€“ Delta access to Rt133 18 โ€“ Marble 19 โ€“ Redstone 20 โ€“ Exit 116 I-70 21 โ€“ Exit 133 Over Under Highway on I-70 22 โ€“ Exit 214 to Rt 128 and the Colorado River in Utah 23 - Moab

Hope this is of some help of some of the many options in Colorado. If you want to see even more -- you will need a lot more TIME.

BOL,

Just an added note -- Colorado has some great State Parks -- Problem is you need to make reservation 6 or more months in advance -- good thing is that it Appears to me that there are usually spots that are left open -- not sure what the policy is but might be worth a look.

If you are interested in an area do an advanced search using 4runnerguy as the poster -- he usually has the most concise and currant info on all of Colorado. When ever we travel, with a planned route I will always check his post for great info.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe those restrictions were in place a few years ago when the road was being repaired. It was a one way road then.

Heck a 5K trailer shouldn't be a problem. You know how to downshift when you are going down? That's when you have to worry about your brakes.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I see nothing about restrictions, but the more I think about driving down the west side the less I like it.

The trailer is 5k lbs, and yes the truck has the trailering pkg.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
14 Escape 5.0 TA

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
How heavy is your TT and do you have the towing package on the truck. Either the southern or northern route is going to run over some high passes. Wolf Creek Pass in the south or I think Eisenhower tunnel in the north. I believe Eisenhower tunnel has a notoriously long grade and is used by truck reviewers to test trucks. But being on an interstate the grades are limited to 7%.

We never had a problem with either even when we had a F-150 5.4L or a Suburban before that. Most of these passes are around 11,000 ft as are a lot of other Colorado passes.

List of Mountain Passes in Colorado

Face this fact, you will be climbing mountains once you enter Colorado past the front range.

Oh yes something just occurred to me, the pass in RMNP is 14,000 ft to go from the east to the west side and I don't think they allow you to tow trailers over it. You should check before you make plans.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper