cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roll Call Alaska 2015

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
I know its early but we have been planning for the past 3 months. I know its another 15 months at least till we leave but we are just going crazy...
So here is our very rough plan overview. Leave mid June from western NY; travel west up through Ill., Wis., Min., ND, into Canada.
Diagonally across Saskatch. and Alberta, BC, and YT...
Our first destination is Fairbanks, via Top of the World Highway... thinking of doing the Dempster to the Arctic Circle. I know there will many stops... some short, some long but all will be great.
Fairbanks to Homer with the obligatory Denali stop for a few days.
Homer to Portland Or; Oregon to San Fran; San Fran to home via the Northern US.

We have so much planning yet to do but reading all the Roll Call posts in 2013, and 2014 just keeps us going. Started to plan finances which brings us to the first major question.
I have heard all the diesel advantages and draw backs of the gas engines. We invested in a 32' fifth wheel and 2013 GMC 2500 HD with 6.0L Crew 4x4. The fiver weighs about 8K empty, I would guess 10,500 loaded. ( I will get that checked for sure)Brand new to Rving

The truck is my every dayer.... need the 4 wheel drive here in winter. The decision with gas was pure economics. A Cummins diesel and matching tranny was $9500 more. Doing the math it was going to take a bunch of miles to save enough in mileage to pay for the increase in price. About 100000 mile by my calculation. We not going to be full timers; one long trip a year to Florida.
Traveling around NY and Pa and maybe Florida, that all makes sense but going on a trip like this, I am not so sure gas was the way to go. So I am asking for those who used a truck like mine to haul a fifth wheel through Canada...Alaska...et al... What kind of mileage can I expect? Sorry for the novelette...I will get better at this.

Edited to add 'Alaska' within the title.
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger
715 REPLIES 715

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
trcgolf wrote:
I know its early but we have been planning for the past 3 months. I know its another 15 months at least till we leave but we are just going crazy...
So here is our very rough plan overview. Leave mid June from western NY; travel west up through Ill., Wis., Min., ND, into Canada.
Diagonally across Saskatch. and Alberta, BC, and YT...
Our first destination is Fairbanks, via Top of the World Highway... thinking of doing the Dempster to the Arctic Circle. I know there will many stops... some short, some long but all will be great.
Fairbanks to Homer with the obligatory Denali stop for a few days.
Homer to Portland Or; Oregon to San Fran; San Fran to home via the Northern US.

We have so much planning yet to do but reading all the Roll Call posts in 2013, and 2014 just keeps us going. Started to plan finances which brings us to the first major question.
I have heard all the diesel advantages and draw backs of the gas engines. We invested in a 32' fifth wheel and 2013 GMC 2500 HD with 6.0L Crew 4x4. The fiver weighs about 8K empty, I would guess 10,500 loaded. ( I will get that checked for sure)Brand new to Rving

The truck is my every dayer.... need the 4 wheel drive here in winter. The decision with gas was pure economics. A Cummins diesel and matching tranny was $9500 more. Doing the math it was going to take a bunch of miles to save enough in mileage to pay for the increase in price. About 100000 mile by my calculation. We not going to be full timers; one long trip a year to Florida.
Traveling around NY and Pa and maybe Florida, that all makes sense but going on a trip like this, I am not so sure gas was the way to go. So I am asking for those who used a truck like mine to haul a fifth wheel through Canada...Alaska...et al... What kind of mileage can I expect? Sorry for the novelette...I will get better at this.

I hope you keep us posted with your planning and the actual trip, when the time comes.

This is something I've been dreaming of, once we retire in a couple more years. And, since you're from my neck of the woods, I'd really be interested in how it all comes together. Happy travels!!
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
"Roll Call 2015", huh? Looks like Janet Rupp really started a trend on this forum when she began the Roll Call 2013 thread. We had a great time planning our trip with all the other "2013er's" and an even better time actually taking the trip. We even saw Janet's motorhome at a campground in Valdez, but missed meeting her because they were out on an all-day boat trip that day.

There is now a huge database of information for your trip on this forum, including route planning, fuel prices and stations, "not-to-miss" attractions, a "don't leave home without . . " list, and tons of advice on favorite campgrounds, fishing spots, traffic jams, etc. With that information and your Milepost and Church book, you should be way ahead of anyone planning their trip who is not on this forum.

Driving to Alaska is an adventure of a lifetime, no matter how many times you have done it. So, enjoy your trip--the planning, the doing, and the other travelers you will meet along the way!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Nodaker
Explorer
Explorer
Count us in! Retire in April, Family Reunion in June, Head for Alaska early July. Taking as long as we feel like. Probably returning down the west and visit in WA & OR before returning home to ND in the fall!
Nodaker
2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Not quite an RV trip, but I'm planning 3 weeks of vacation in AK in 2015 to drive from Homer to Deadhorse with a big tent, canoe, and spinning gear in August of 2015.

Been about 10 years (which is 9.5 years too long) since I did this trip. Hope to slay the fishies all along the road; hope the gnats and sox don't slay me.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Chiefelectusn
Explorer
Explorer
We are also going to Alaska in 2015. Planning to leave Sarasota early May going up through the Midwest crossing into Canada at Shelby, arrive in Alaska via Banff, Jasper, Dawson Creek and then depending on weather Skagway/ Haines or Dawson City/Chicken.
We are planning to spending about 90 days in Canada and Alaska returning to the US over the Cassiar highway.
Lots of plans, safe travels, see you in 15 months.

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
Hooray!!! I was wondering when someone else would start this thread! I have wanted to for a couple months, but I thought, surely it is too soon. Glad to hear it is not. My wife, of course, thinks I'm crazy and I have even started a blog site (www.debidtoalaska.com) I have found out it is way too early to keep up a daily entry interest for 18 months before we even leave home! We plan to leave Central Indiana about May 1st and take our time, roughly the same path as the OP. I used to live in the Pacific NW, so eager to see some old friend out there on the way back. Lets have fun with the prep and keep in touch, Maybe we will meet up somewhere on the way or up there. Just send in passport applications last Fri, so waiting for them, now. Best to every one and Happy Trails!
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to hit the road to Alaska in the spring of 2015 also. We flew up and rented from Great Alaska Holidays in 07, 09, and 11 and stayed for 14 days each trip. DW & I determined a two week trip to the "last frontier" was not nearly long enough. We will be headed across the border at Great Falls, MT. sometime in early May of 15 and plan to be on the east side of the Rockies prior to Sept. 15th. We will be towing a 5er with Maine plates. If you see us, the coffee pot is always on and you are all welcome. Happy trails.

Lakeside

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning for 2015. I can't afford to take the MH. We are looking for a good used camper for the truck. It will be cramped compared to our MH but it's about the only way we can justify the expense. Alaska is DW's home state but no relatives still there.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

_en_Plain_Air_
Explorer
Explorer
We are too ! We will buy the motorhome this year, learn the ins and outs, then hit the trail spring 2015. Can't come soon enough.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to be Class of 2015 also!!!!
Weeeeeeeeee!
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Never too early to start planning. We were in the "Class of 2013" but my husband doesn't want to drive that far again this year. Looking at 2015. lizzie