cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2016

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I have been planning this trip for 4+ years. It is now time to update my estimates and make my reservations.

Estimate Wash/BC border about 5 May 2016, north on route 97/1/2 to Tok, south to Valdez, make the hump to Anchorage, then to Homer and Seward, north to Denali, Fairbanks, back to TOK and off to Dawson, then south to Watson Lake, Smithers, then to CAN 16 east to Jasper,/Banff, on to Glacier in Montana, arriving early Sept so I can get thru the park then west to Kalispell. South thru the US to Houston area for the thanksgiving holiday and Florida for the Christmas holiday. Since I am sure it will be cold in Ohio I wont return home till April 2017.

Alaska here we come!!!!

G George

On edit, yup it's time to plan 2016. I edited your post to modify the title to be consistent with previous years; it will facilitate future searches for members.

... Eric (Moderator)
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
782 REPLIES 782

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving in July 2016. Going to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons for a warm up in June.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

hr0082
Explorer
Explorer
A suggestion for those riding the Hurricane Turn train out of Talketna---spend some time back in the baggage car. That is where you get to interact with the locals and the view is up close and personal. Keep in mind that you will probably need to stand back there.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
daily double wrote:
The only train I'm aware of out of Talketna is the "Hurricane turn" trip. It is in the tour saver book. It's a fun trip.

X2 Click for pictures of our ride. Interesting to see the locals and their equipment. Dogs, guns, etc stay in the baggage car. This is the last red flat or whistle stop train in the US.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
The only train I'm aware of out of Talketna is the "Hurricane turn" trip. It is in the tour saver book. It's a fun trip.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Buy the TourSaver book online. One glacier cruise will pay for the book. The book includes many nice things to do. Doing the sternwheeler trip in Fairbanks was good.

Be sure to check the 'Sticky' at the very top of this forum page for many helpful hints and things to do and things to take.

I don't understand the Flag train from Talkeetna question but do stop in Talkeetna for a look see. It's very small but fun. It's close to Denali Nat'l Park.

When you go to Denali try to stay in the farthest campground you can stay - Teklanika. We only made its reservations 3 weeks prior as we were traveling so we could better judge when we'd be in the area. We spent 5 nights at that campground and an additional 5 nights in Denali's Riley Creek campground. There is lots to do in both areas of the park. When staying at Teklanika you should buy the TEK bus pass. The tour bus stops at the campground entrance many times during the day. You can then ride as often as you want and as far as you want - one price. We took one long day trip to the end of the road but the other days we went out in the morning and late afternoon for short trips. We saw 'THE' mountain 7 out of our 10 days and saw every large animal in the park - many more than once. We were there mid-August and the weather was perfect with lots of blooming flowers.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
OK, more questions:

1) Where can I get the Tour coupon book?
2) Flag train from Talkeentna - What is it. Do you happen to a have a link?
3) LU-LU-BELL is on the list along with a halibut trip and salmon fishing trip.
4) I am not planning to "storm" thru BC, YT, and AB. 15 days from US/CAN to Alaska border via CAN 97 and ALCAN, 15 days return Alaska to CAN/MT border via Taylor, Klondike, CAN 16 from Whitehorse to Jasper, then south on Icefield Pkwy to MT, that is 30 days total and only a portion will be "repeat" road.
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
GGeorge, 2014 was our first trip there and felt like we had to keep moving to see everything. We spent about 90 days on the trip from Okla. and still didn't feel like we covered everything. Also we pulled a 35' fifth wheel and even though it was comfortable we felt like there were places we couldn't or didn't want to go in. We now have a truck camper and will just have to hope we don't have to spend a week or 10 days straight in it waiting for the rain to quit! We couldn't get the 5er on the ferry because it was too tall. The tour saver book was good but we didn't use a majority of it. FYI propane is expensive in Fairbanks! And GO SLOW on the ALCAN. PM me if you need anything else.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Suggestions:

- If you drive, don't storm through BC and YT....spectacular scenery that is almost as good as Alaska.
- No matter how you do the trip, if there is any way possible to undertake activities OFF the road system (i.e. flightseeing, boat-based fishing, ATV excursions, etc), that will add a real kick to the trip and give you a taste of what the North Country is all about.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
GGeorge wrote:
I am planning on 60-75 days is BC, AK, and AB.

Don't forget Yukon (YT). Unless you take the ferry or fly, you can't get to Alaska without driving our roads and seeing our sights 🙂
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
GGeorge wrote:
Everything looks good on paper but I have no time for rain
Best to plan on rain or just ignore it. Your post sounds like your are on a tight schedule. My advice is to be flexible.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

hr0082
Explorer
Explorer
We've been 3 of the past 5 years and I would encourage you to take the flag train out of Talkeetna. You can get one of the coupon saver books and the two for one will pay for the book. I would also suggest that you take one of the glacier boat tours. We have done the two out of Valdez---Stan Stephens and LU-LU Belle. Once again, there is a coupon for the Stan Stephens, but I don't think for the other one.

We really liked Valdez and will spend more time there. We also really liked the Hyder area and will stay longer in that area. We really liked Camp Run-a-Muck in Hyder. The female manager, who has been there forever, is a very interesting lady and gave us so much information. While there, be sure and drive back to the glacier. The road is in very good shape.

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Daily Double other than the ALCAN what are/will you be doing different from your recent trip?

Same sightseeing trips? Longer stays? Missed a lot?

I figure I will only get one chance at this trip, I am planning on 60-75 days is BC, AK, and AB. Everything looks good on paper but I have no time for rain, or breakdowns. Your hints will be beneficial.

Thanks in advance
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
We went last year, and are going again in 2016. The only time I wished I had reservations was July 4. We will take the ferry up and the Cassier back. I've done the Alaska highway.It was nice but not enough to do again.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Bump to keep topic visible.

... Eric (Moderator)

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
We did Alaska from Wisconsin in 2014. It was amazing, every day was a new adventure. Planning on a return in 2016. This time we will add at least an additional month, probably leaving mid May returning end of August.

See ya down the road.
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed