cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roll call Alaska 2017

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will try to get to Alaska next year, dreamed about it for years.

Anyone else planing a trip for next year?
191 REPLIES 191

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Chief, We'd love to, but, just retired and "way too many" home projects to tackle this year! But, thanks for the invite! memtb

We retired last April (2016). Saved for a 2 year vacation to travel the country. Did most of the lower 48 we wanted to last summer. This summer is Alaska. Next year are all the projects we have been ignoring. Wife's Father died owning property in Hawaii and Canada that he was always planning to go to as soon as he had time. You guessed it, died before he had time. Not me!! We will have fun first then worry about that stuff!!
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

RDJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in! Michigan to Anchorage. I've lived my entire life in Alaska, and never been over the Highway. Now I'm retired and going to give it a shot!

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Chief, We'd love to, but, just retired and "way too many" home projects to tackle this year! But, thanks for the invite! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Is it too soon to start fantasizing about 2018? We've wanted to do this for years, but just retired recently. Buying the books,watching the videos, following the Forum topics. New tires on camper last spring, tire/rim upgrade on truck, and soon to replace mor-ryde rubber and new wet bolt/bronze bushings on the suspension. Trying to do all the prep work, hoping to minimize the mechanical issues. Soon, will start on the passports! "NO", we're not excited! :B

If anyone happened to notice this post on the 2016 roll call, it's only because I was deliriously excited about our future Alaskan trip that I got on the wrong thread.:o

Why wait? Join the 2017 crowd.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Is it too soon to start fantasizing about 2018? We've wanted to do this for years, but just retired recently. Buying the books,watching the videos, following the Forum topics. New tires on camper last spring, tire/rim upgrade on truck, and soon to replace mor-ryde rubber and new wet bolt/bronze bushings on the suspension. Trying to do all the prep work, hoping to minimize the mechanical issues. Soon, will start on the passports! "NO", we're not excited! :B

If anyone happened to notice this post on the 2016 roll call, it's only because I was deliriously excited about our future Alaskan trip that I got on the wrong thread.:o
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

thedavidzoo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mountain Trippers, you can get the map here: http://visitedstatesmap.com . Customize it, then save it, then add to your signature on this forum.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

Davenberta
Explorer
Explorer
We're taking the ferry out of Bellingham Washington to Whittier (near Anchorage) in June this year. We'll then spend some quality time enjoying Kenai Peninsula, Denali, Fairbanks, then head south at a somewhat leisurely pace. I'm having fun doing the research and hope to have a great time. To all of those with experience who share on this forum; thank you! Your insight is valuable and appreciated.

SBradley
Explorer
Explorer
rctaw wrote:
I was very happy when my two 17 year old boys (who will graduate high school this year) said they wanted to take their senior trip with their Mom and Dad and go to the Yukon and Alaska. I immediately asked for vacation from work and only got 23 days approved, but we are still going for it. We have resolved to get as far as we can go, sightseeing along the way, and will pick up where we left off on the next trip. We will be leaving out in the middle of June.

If you're short on time have boss drive up one way, join her in Whitehorse or Fairbanks travel around Alaska/Yukon drive back together. Or maybe she will want to fly home after spending several weeks with you and the boys. My boss usually only travels one way, but then we do it every year.
S Bradley
Navion IQ 24V

Mountain_Trippe
Explorer
Explorer
llberge wrote:
With all the planning that we are doing, I forgot to add our names to Roll Call Alaska 2017. I hope to bump into some of you folks along the way.

How do you get the US map like you have in your signature.
George&Karen
2014 Forrest River Solera
Toad 2015 Subaru Forrester

rctaw
Explorer
Explorer
I was very happy when my two 17 year old boys (who will graduate high school this year) said they wanted to take their senior trip with their Mom and Dad and go to the Yukon and Alaska. I immediately asked for vacation from work and only got 23 days approved, but we are still going for it. We have resolved to get as far as we can go, sightseeing along the way, and will pick up where we left off on the next trip. We will be leaving out in the middle of June.

llberge
Explorer
Explorer
With all the planning that we are doing, I forgot to add our names to Roll Call Alaska 2017. I hope to bump into some of you folks along the way.
2017 Sunseeker MBS 2400R

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Can't dooo much more than 2 months if ya ain't retireded.
Those folks have plenty of time. Week x country week thru Canadia, month in AK, 2 weeks back.
That's 5 more weeks than I've ever gotten for vacation in my 44 years on this planet and 6 more weeks than I've ever had except one time.
We put off the trip until we retired. Didn't know if we would ever get there again. Something to look forward to.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

A1D2_VT
Explorer
Explorer
Adding our names to the list of Alaska bound travelers. Headed out late June from Vermont through Canada expect to be back home early September.

Ol_coot
Explorer
Explorer
For the ones interested in purchasing the Alaska Two For One tour book. If you order before 31 January and use code "Save15" total cost is $93.90 including shipping. Otherwise cost will be $99.95 plus $8.95 shipping.
You can order at: https://www.toursaver.com/order/
We used 2 for 1 in 2015 and on first tour it paid for cost of book. We ordered on Friday and already received.
We are heading back again this year. Leaving Texas around 1 May or there about. Then up through Oregon to meet up with friends. Headed for the Klutina Salmon Charters on the "Copper River" for salmon fishing. It's an RV camp ground with electric and access to water and dump station next to the river with awesome salmon fishing.
For the first timers going to Alaska. Please take your time and enjoy the views. Take your time, watch for the little cones warning of frost heaves. It is amazing. And the advise you receive from Gary and Sue T. is excellent and should be listen too. They won't lead you down a bad road.
We'll be watching for Roll Call 2017 signs.

thedavidzoo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now we can say "THIS year we are going to Alaska"!
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries