cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route 59 south from Gillette Wyoming

FC
Explorer
Explorer
We will be at a rally in Gillette and will travel west on I 90, but would like to.come back on I 80. Was wondering how route 59 south headed for Cheyenne would be for us in a motorhome???
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Vice President Operations Family Campers & RVers
www.fcrv.org
4 REPLIES 4

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider visiting the Black Hills on your way back from Gillette, and heading south from there through western Nebraska to US 26. That will connect you to I-80 at Ogallala, and in the meantime there are some nice state parks and the sand hills scenery to enjoy on the drive.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

newk
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Very easy drive. Two lane blacktop but very little traffic. Set the cruise at 55 and enjoy the trip....Dennis

Uhhhh.... I agree that it's not a bad drive, but it's got a LOT of traffic -- highest traffic count of any 2-lane road in the state, if I'm not mistaken. That includes a lot of truck traffic all the way to I-25 (Douglas). I think I just read that it's had 5 traffic deaths already this year and is considered the most dangerous highway in Wyoming. I drive it regularly (65 mph limit, but I drive it at about 67 or 68 to blend with the traffic). I don't advise driving at 55 for safety reasons. It's fine except for the heavy traffic. Long range plans are to make it a 4-lane, but that's a long ways off. The governor was pushing for several more passing lane sections next year, but the legislature nixed most of that too.

Somewhere around 30 miles south of Gillette is a big bison ranch that you might find interesting. The last I knew they were running in excess of 2000 head. It's on both sides of the highway, but you'll usually see the bison on one side or the other.

May I add, welcome to Gillette. I hope you have a good time while here. ๐Ÿ™‚

greg121
Explorer
Explorer
We took it northbound a couple of years ago. Good road.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Very easy drive. Two lane blacktop but very little traffic. Set the cruise at 55 and enjoy the trip....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG