cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

route around NYC

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
You all got me around Boston. Now looking for route from Boston to Washington DC. Just need idea about getting past NYC.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
16 REPLIES 16

gailgold
Explorer
Explorer
This is definitely the route we take..... all the way south below DC!

camperfamily wrote:
From Boston I'd take the Mass Pike west to I-84 South. Take that to the NYS Thruway (I-87) south to Route 287 South to the New Jersey Turnpike (I-95 South) exiting NJ at the Delaware Memorial Bridge. You'll get around most of the city.

Now you didn't mention if your going past DC. If so consider taking i-84 to I-81 south and bypassing a huge amount of congestion (and tolls). Its a little longer, but keeps you away from NYC/DC/Baltimore heading south.

BTW - I-287 is the "loop" around NYC. It doesn't go far enough out for some hence the route I suggest and use myself to get in/out of the area.

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
I always felt it was best to go the extra miles and use I287 in Jersey.

Explorer
Explorer
There are many low clearance restrictions on roads in NYS and some in CT. Not to steal the OPs thread but always follow the trucks and watch for signs that may suddenly appear telling trucks to turn off the road. In NY if it says "Parkway" stay off. Often in NYS limited access roads have the max height on a sign at the entrance ramp, but not always.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Where in NJ will determine which is the better route. We're generally headed down south when we take the route I described. Our normal stopover point is Cherry Hill Park in College Park, MD, so that's why we head the way we do. Have done the Garden State as well but it's been a while. There's really no "easy" way to head down the east coast.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going to Earle, I'd suggest 95 to I-287, over the Tappan Zee Bridge and continue to the Garden State Parkway. RV's are okay on the Garden State, not on other 'parkways'. Stay on the Garden State to Exit 117, then follow NJ-36 to the Pier side of Earle. The other gate to the base is on NJ-34.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
stvscharfe wrote:
Let me chip in on this...I took the Bronx Expressway one time on my way to New Jersey from Boston. Somewhere close to the George Washington Bridge my wife says to me "Are we a truck?" "Why?" I asked, beginning to worry..."Because if we're over 9'6" high, we should have gotten off at that last off-ramp!" she replied. I looked up just in time to see a large, low bridge approaching as we were doing 65 MPH. We hit it and totaled the motorhome! DON'T DRIVE A MOTORHOME ANYWHERE NEAR NEW YORK!

Wow sorry to hear that
Hope everyone is OK. I will watch for height restrictions.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry that's Colts Neck, NJ. Actually Earle Naval Weapons Station

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
stvscharfe wrote:
Let me chip in on this...I took the Bronx Expressway one time on my way to New Jersey from Boston. Somewhere close to the George Washington Bridge my wife says to me "Are we a truck?" "Why?" I asked, beginning to worry..."Because if we're over 9'6" high, we should have gotten off at that last off-ramp!" she replied. I looked up just in time to see a large, low bridge approaching as we were doing 65 MPH. We hit it and totaled the motorhome! DON'T DRIVE A MOTORHOME ANYWHERE NEAR NEW YORK!

OMG....were you guys injured? Are you okay now?
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Crook Neck? Couldn't find it on MapQuest. When we avoid NYC we take 90 to 84 to 287/87, over the Tappan Zee Bridge, and hook up w/78 to avoid Newark as well. Knowing where Crook Neck is would help-I hate the NJ Turnpike because of the constant stop and go due to tolls.

We use this route too...but with EZ pass the tolls are a minor slow down on the turnpike. However,right now much of the turnpike is under construction. We will drive it, but not with our RV.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
There is nothing wrong with 95 except the tolls. Sometimes I take the Tapan Zee and sometimes the GW depending on the time of day.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Crook Neck? Couldn't find it on MapQuest. When we avoid NYC we take 90 to 84 to 287/87, over the Tappan Zee Bridge, and hook up w/78 to avoid Newark as well. Knowing where Crook Neck is would help-I hate the NJ Turnpike because of the constant stop and go due to tolls.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips. FYI I'm heading to Crook Neck, NJ.

stvscharfe
Explorer
Explorer

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
From Boston I'd take the Mass Pike west to I-84 South. Take that to the NYS Thruway (I-87) south to Route 287 South to the New Jersey Turnpike (I-95 South) exiting NJ at the Delaware Memorial Bridge. You'll get around most of the city.

Now you didn't mention if your going past DC. If so consider taking i-84 to I-81 south and bypassing a huge amount of congestion (and tolls). Its a little longer, but keeps you away from NYC/DC/Baltimore heading south.

BTW - I-287 is the "loop" around NYC. It doesn't go far enough out for some hence the route I suggest and use myself to get in/out of the area.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch