cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Salt Lake to Zion

tred0956
Explorer
Explorer
I want to do Utah from South to North, but I need to get from Ogden (just north of Salt Lake) to Zion first. Suggested best routes to get there?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go in from St. George.

(Unless you are VERY comfortable driving your rig and dealing with Rangers and frustrations.)
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember if you come in from the East and Mt. Carmel, you will go through the tunnels and be required to pay $15 so they can stop opposing traffic and you can drive the middle of the road through the tunnel. Of course this only applies if you are too tall or too wide! It's not a problem but you should just be aware of it. You didn't say what rig you have but the road out of the tunnels down into Zion Canyon also has some very sharp switchbacks and if you are too long they could present a problem - you just have to be very careful.

It would be nice of you to put your rig in your signature so we know what you have and can make appropriate recommendations - both for this question and any others you may have in the future. If you have a pop-up, all of this typing is for naught!! :B
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You could also take I-15 south to either 17 (a short cut) or Hwy 9 (both around St. George), and head east into the park on Hwy 9 toward Hurricane and Springdale.

You'll avoid going through the tunnels as you would coming from Mt. Carmel Junction.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I'd take I-15 to UT-20 to 89 South. From there, I'd turn west at Mt. Carmel Junction and follow the signs into the park.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)