cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

San Diego- Barstow- Vegas

2stepn
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for the best tow route from San Diego To Vegas. It looks like either 15 all the way or 15 to 215 back to the 15 are the mapquest suggestions. Any thoughts as to which is a better towing route.
Thanks
Bill
2008 F250sc 4x4 V10 4:10 TorqShift
2014 Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
8 REPLIES 8

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
kalynzoo wrote:
The Cajon pass is a steep long grade that will by trying on your patients, and fuel gauge. It's not that it is too steep, it is just very long, and you can get some really mean crosswinds. Just drive it with care. Other than that pass it is an unspectacular drive. The first time you see the vastness of the desert it is fascinating, but after many many trips, it just does not change much. The rest stops are frequently closed for "repair" so don't plan on rest stops, better to take your breaks in Barstow and Baker. If you are heading to Las Vegas on Friday, as mentioned by others, add at least 1 hour to your travel time. If the weather is good, maybe more, as the traffic is doubled with people heading to the Colorado River.
If this is your first trip, consider stopping at Peggy Sue's Dinner outside of Barstow. It is filled with collectable memorabilia, and makes a fun way to stretch.
Happy Trails.

It's only 15 miles from I-15/215 junction to top of pass.

Friday night.......add lot more than 1 hour.
Traffic is backed up before Sierra Ave to the north end of Victorville.
Worked in Etiwanda and lived in Victorville area.
Hated Friday dayshifts and Sunday nightshifts.....traffic was horrendous
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
The Cajon pass is a steep long grade that will by trying on your patients, and fuel gauge. It's not that it is too steep, it is just very long, and you can get some really mean crosswinds. Just drive it with care. Other than that pass it is an unspectacular drive. The first time you see the vastness of the desert it is fascinating, but after many many trips, it just does not change much. The rest stops are frequently closed for "repair" so don't plan on rest stops, better to take your breaks in Barstow and Baker. If you are heading to Las Vegas on Friday, as mentioned by others, add at least 1 hour to your travel time. If the weather is good, maybe more, as the traffic is doubled with people heading to the Colorado River.
If this is your first trip, consider stopping at Peggy Sue's Dinner outside of Barstow. It is filled with collectable memorabilia, and makes a fun way to stretch.
Happy Trails.

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
The 215 bypasses some areas where there is a greater chance of traffic and slowdowns. The further west you travel the slower your progress is likely to be.

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from RV Parks, National Parks, State Campgrounds & More forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

BIKERK9
Explorer
Explorer
All the roads are doable. Why not plan a route to see and visit interesting sights alongs the way.
DoggyDaddy
2008 Damon Outlaw 37', WH-24, 8.1 GMC
Class A Toy Hauler
DoggyDaddy CommunityProfile

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely I-15 all the way. 215 has you changing from 215 to 60W to 91E, all are constantly under construction.

Plus, there's a Bass Pro Shop off of 15 in Rancho Cucamonga!

Second the idea of not travelling on a Friday.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would just stay with I-15 all the way. 215 may be a little shorter, but the traffic can be more difficult. You didn't say "when" you were going, but please let me offer you a little advice. DO NOT take the 15 to Vegas on Friday...period! The traffic will be horrendous.

Good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Half dozen of one......6 of the other (about the same mileage)

I-15......traffic slows thru Corona/Norco (91/60/10), thru Devore (Sierra), Cajon Pass---Victorville
I-15/215/15.....traffic slows thru Riverside/San Bernadino (60/10), thru Devore (where 15 ties in), thru Cajon Pass----Victorville
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31