'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06
8 REPLIES 8

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
"now... as far as getting there from Salem, OR ... I'd take I-5 north to I-205 north across the Columbia River to the Longview, WA exit 36 and head west on hwy 432 to Oregon Way... then cross the Lewis & Clark Bridge and head west to Astoria"

x 2 easiest route, less hassles, not as scenic as 101 but also faster

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
The Astoria Column is worth seeing BUT ... it's covered with tarps from top to bottom right now due to a much needed repair of the structure. Still worth driving up there just to take in the view but you won't be able to get inside or climb the 162 steps to the top... or was it 164??

Maybe by the time you get there it might be open... supposed to be open this summer if they don't have more delays.

BEST place to eat in Astoria is the SILVER SALMON Grille... you can get 10% off coupons from the gift store across the street. Address: 1105 Commercial St, Astoria, OR 97103 Phone (503) 338-6640

now... as far as getting there from Salem, OR ... I'd take I-5 north to I-205 north across the Columbia River to the Longview, WA exit 36 and head west on hwy 432 to Oregon Way... then cross the Lewis & Clark Bridge and head west to Astoria.

You can also take hwy 213 out of Silverton... to I-205 then north to I-5... taking exit 36 at Longview, WA....head west on hwy 432 to Oregon Way... then cross the Lewis & Clark Bridge and head west to Astoria.
Kathy

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
22 to 18 to lincoln city. Turn north on 101. Nice drive. If your in a hurry, I5 north 217 26 west. Lots more traffic.
Astoria area, you have a decent KOA right across the road from Ft Stevens state park. Lots of history there and Ft Clataup Lewis and Clarks winter home.
If you take 22, honk as you go by.

X2!

Enjoy the Drive!!!!
Both Ft. Stevens and the KOA are great places to stay. You might consider making the trip in two days and spend the night somewhere on the drive!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rollexx
Explorer
Explorer
You have already been given the two best routes so won't repeat...as for Astoria, lots to do and see.
There is a nice River walk that runs several miles along the waterfront. You can also take a trolly if you don't feel like walking.
The Maritime Museum is very interesting. While there, walk across the street to the Bowpicker for the best fish and chips bar none.
If you were a fan of the movie " The Goonies" you can check out the Goonie House and City Jail.
Fort Stevens and Ft Clatsop are a few miles away. Worth the time.
The Astoria Column is a must see for sure.
You can drive on the beach from Fort Stevens south to Gearhart if you wish. The beach access at Fort Stevens is a little dicey depending on the tide but if you drive south on 101 to the Sunset beach access point it is easier.
Cannon Beach, south on 101 is a neat little town to visit. About 20 miles. And if you go there drive a few more miles south to Hug Point. Very scenic and at low tide you can walk along the old wagon trail cut into the point.

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
The Astoria Column is great. On a clear day you see forever!!!

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
22 to 18 to lincoln city. Turn north on 101. Nice drive. If your in a hurry, I5 north 217 26 west. Lots more traffic.
Astoria area, you have a decent KOA right across the road from Ft Stevens state park. Lots of history there and Ft Clataup Lewis and Clarks winter home.

1st choice Ft. Stevens State Park
2nd. choice any park but KOA! they are outrageous in price:(:(:(:(
Look at Long Beach across the bridge in Washigton.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I'll let others tell you how to get to Astoria. But while there, be sure to eat at the Bowpicker.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog