cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silverton, OR to Kelso, WA

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving Silverton Monday am and heading to Kelso. Google gives me choices and I have not a clue.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Lauren
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

17 REPLIES 17

Art_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to stop for a while in Longview, an old timber company town. Lots of nice bronze statues scattered about downtown. Good public art does exist!
Do the best you can with what you have to work with.

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone....would have gotten on sooner but RV park WiFi was down completely. But, of course, not their fault; had to be my computer. Won't go into that but, whalla, all of a sudden it works fine this morning and I did not change a thing.

I did the 214 - 205 - 5 and it went just find.

As always, thanks for input.

Be safe.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
In all due respect, paulj, I have not a clue why or how I would get from Silverton to Carson to drive the 14 back over to the road I need to be on in the first place.

Marv - will be in Cannon Beach 15 nights, Newport 5 and Bandon 7. Been all these places but have not stayed at Bandon before; particularly like Cannon Beach for photo work.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
Hi, Marv - always good to hear from you. Thanks for the input - will want Safeway for both food and fuel.

We will be in that area for 4 days and had hoped to hike up (part way) to St. Helens from the south. Have done that before. But A/C went out right off the bat and will have to see if temp ok to leave the dog ---- windows open and fan going!

Then on to OR Coast for just short of a month!

I had the two teenage grandkids with me, so our trip was much shorter than normal for us. After St Helens we headed for the coast. Landed in Cannon Beach, Lincoln City and Florence. Taking about a week total for the coast. This was my first time touring before September and I was amazed at the traffic and crowds. Had a good time. A great mini golf course across the street from Tillamook cheese facility. The kids made glass orbs in Lincoln City and Dune buggy ride in Florence. Made our usual stop at 7 Feathers on the way home. That park just gets prettier.

Have a great trip!
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
An alternate way to St Helens is from the Columbia Gorge (from Hwy 14 at Carson)

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5160314.pdf

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Marv - always good to hear from you. Thanks for the input - will want Safeway for both food and fuel.

We will be in that area for 4 days and had hoped to hike up (part way) to St. Helens from the south. Have done that before. But A/C went out right off the bat and will have to see if temp ok to leave the dog ---- windows open and fan going!

Then on to OR Coast for just short of a month!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren - was just in that area last week. Definitely want to take the 205. I-5 thru Portland is a real zoo. Stayed in Kelso a few days. There is a Safeway station real close to I-5, a good place to fuel up a RV. Easy in and out.
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best/safest/easiest route: 214 to I5 at Woodburn then I5 to I205 then back to I5. You will hit a little congestion in Woodburn as they are building a new overpass at the 214/I5 junction but only slow for a mile or so.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
yes 90 miles is correct. Give or take a couple.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
When Google (or any other mapping program) gives you a 'best' route it means 'fastest' (usually) or 'shortest'. It isn't saying 'this is a better route' - unless it has a way for you to set multiple criteria.

Shortest is easy to calculate. Fastest requires estimate speed on various types of road. Those speed estimates can vary in quality. In some cases it has enough information to base the speed estimate on traffic conditions (but for when, right now, or next Sunday at midnight?).

With Google Maps you can check the quality of a road by zooming in. With Streetview you get a 360deg view at road level, giving the clearest picture of whether the piece of road is divided highway, 4 lane, suburban, rural, narrow, mountainous, etc.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you - that is the kinda info I wanted and needed.

Why I love this Forum!

Is the 90 miles about right?

And I might even figure out what Francesca said -- eh, kinda doubt it! 🙂
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
213 is all stop and go. Big old pain in the butt. 214 much better.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It has been a long time since I used OR 213. Memory serves it is not the best in Oregon City. It got relocated a while back so it doesn't go into downtown Oregon City.
Time wise OR 214 would be better.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Yeh - 10-2 is best for any city --- practice that for sure with Phoenix (a real zoo) and Salt Lake City (a semi zoo now that the construction is done with.

Google says preferred is the 213 to the I-205 to the I-5.

Is that better than the 214?

Keeping in mind we have this 5th wheel VERY close behind us! 🙂

Someone had said it was 200 miles but Google says about 90; think I will go with Google on that one!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax