cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

St George, UT to Cannonville, UT (Bryce Canyon Trip)

ReallyBigMax
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, back in October last year we started planning this trip, and I asked about getting from the Grand Canyon, South Rim to Sedona.(Here was my original question back in 10/2019) I got great feedback on that thread, and I thank profusely all that contributed. Now, time has passed, and we've been planning and preparing, and we leave in about 10 days! Wohoo!

Plans, however, have changed, due to weather, poor timing on our part, and whatever, so here I am coming back to the well again. We've dropped the whole Grand Canyon stop until next trip. This trip we are heading to St George, UT to spend time at Zion NP and that area. From there we are heading for two long stopovers up at Bryce Canyon. The first stop is at Bryce Valley KOA at Cannonville, just East of the park. The second is at Ruby's, up in Bryce Canyon City at the North end of the park.

We are leaving St George on April 8th. Which route is best for the signature rig, or for any rig for that matter? I see a couple of obvious options, but don't know anything about them.

Route A) North on I-15 to Hiway 20, then East to Hiway 89 at Bear Valley Junction. Going South from there on Hiway 89 to Hiway 12 East would take us right past Bryce (turnoff for Bryce Canyon City), and down to Cannonville. This looks like the most "major road" route of the two, but is a bit farther around.

Route B) North on I-15 to Cedar City, and then head East on Hiway 14, picking up Hiway 89 North at Long Valley Junction. Heading North from there on Hiway 89 intersects Route A above when we hit Hiway 12 to go East, still taking us right past Bryce (turnoff for Bryce Canyon City) and then to Cannonville. This route seems a bit more direct, but over less major roads. In fact, I suspect I might be a bit nuts to consider this one, but hey, I already admitted I don't know the area at all, so what the heck. I'm game to hear that and be advised if it be the case.

Did I miss a more obvious and direct option? What do you think of these options in mid-to-late April?

Thanks in advance!
ReallyBigMax
Alpenlite 29RK,
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DuraMax 'n Allison :B:B,
Taylor Wings Tank 'n Toolbox, Line-X Liner,
Valley 16K Dual Pivot Underbed Hitch,
Prodigy, Roll'n Lock Bed Cover
10 REPLIES 10

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
TenOC wrote:
Dry camping on BLM land East of Zion

N37° 15.039' W112° 45.558'

and

N37° 15.584' W112° 46.113'

If this is the same place I know, you really need to pick your path carefully to get in rock strewn boulder field.

It is a decent place with plenty of fire rings but getting in will give you pause.

ReallyBigMax
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone, for all the great feedback and info. I appreciate it. Being pretty conservative, I’ll probably go up to Hiway 20 and then in from there.

Because it is very early in the season I expected some comments about that an$ the weather. Guess we’re not quite as early as I thought. It will be cold, I know,but as long as I can get propane at th3 parks, and the heater holds up, we won’t freeze. I hope.:)

Thanks again.
ReallyBigMax
Alpenlite 29RK,
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DuraMax 'n Allison :B:B,
Taylor Wings Tank 'n Toolbox, Line-X Liner,
Valley 16K Dual Pivot Underbed Hitch,
Prodigy, Roll'n Lock Bed Cover

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Dry camping on BLM land East of Zion

N37° 15.039' W112° 45.558'

and

N37° 15.584' W112° 46.113'
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
accsys wrote:
I would, and have, taken the road (UT-9) from Zion and straight through the tunnel to Carmel, then north on 89 to 12. That saves a lot of time and only costs $15 for the rangers at Zion to stop the traffic through the tunnels so only traffic going your direction is in the tunnel and you have the whole road to ride the centerline.

May 2018 when we drove the tunnel there was no longer the $15.00 fee. The traffic was alternating one way for everyone.

A note: Zion parking lots are FULL by 10:00 AM. You will need to park in the town and take the bus into the park.

^^^^^^^^^^ Good advice. ^^^^^^^^^^
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
accsys wrote:
I would, and have, taken the road (UT-9) from Zion and straight through the tunnel to Carmel, then north on 89 to 12. That saves a lot of time and only costs $15 for the rangers at Zion to stop the traffic through the tunnels so only traffic going your direction is in the tunnel and you have the whole road to ride the centerline.

May 2018 when we drove the tunnel there was no longer the $15.00 fee. The traffic was alternating one way for everyone.

A note: Zion parking lots are FULL by 10:00 AM. You will need to park in the town and take the bus into the park.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Route A) North on I-15 to Hiway 20, then East to Hiway 89 at Bear Valley Junction

We made this exact route several years ago from near Los Angeles to St. George and then on to Bryce. I had good reason then to think that 20 was a better route than 14. We were towing a 34' fifth-wheel with a Chev. diesel 2500 and had no trouble at all with the route.

I'm not sure how it fits into your route but our favorite part of the trip was towing over Utah 12 from Bryce to Capitol Reef. It is a beautiful drive.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with accsys, to try UT-9 from Zion to Mt. Carmel.I haven't driven UT-9 for a long while and don't remember how bad it was, but the alternatives I drove 2 years ago.
I think you'll find 14 and 20 challenging at 9% and 7.5% uphill grades and about the same on the downhill sides. Don't even think about trying 143 east from Parowan.
Try using Google Earth Pro to do a "Directions" mapping between the places you want to go, then right click the map and display the elevation profile. I use it all the time to see how much up/down a route presents.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
ReallyBigMax wrote:
Okay, back in October last year we started planning this trip, and I asked about getting from the Grand Canyon, South Rim to Sedona.(Here was my original question back in 10/2019) I got great feedback on that thread, and I thank profusely all that contributed. Now, time has passed, and we've been planning and preparing, and we leave in about 10 days! Wohoo!

Plans, however, have changed, due to weather, poor timing on our part, and whatever, so here I am coming back to the well again. We've dropped the whole Grand Canyon stop until next trip. This trip we are heading to St George, UT to spend time at Zion NP and that area. From there we are heading for two long stopovers up at Bryce Canyon. The first stop is at Bryce Valley KOA at Cannonville, just East of the park. The second is at Ruby's, up in Bryce Canyon City at the North end of the park.

We are leaving St George on April 8th. Which route is best for the signature rig, or for any rig for that matter? I see a couple of obvious options, but don't know anything about them.

Route A) North on I-15 to Hiway 20, then East to Hiway 89 at Bear Valley Junction. Going South from there on Hiway 89 to Hiway 12 East would take us right past Bryce (turnoff for Bryce Canyon City), and down to Cannonville. This looks like the most "major road" route of the two, but is a bit farther around.

Route B) North on I-15 to Cedar City, and then head East on Hiway 14, picking up Hiway 89 North at Long Valley Junction. Heading North from there on Hiway 89 intersects Route A above when we hit Hiway 12 to go East, still taking us right past Bryce (turnoff for Bryce Canyon City) and then to Cannonville. This route seems a bit more direct, but over less major roads. In fact, I suspect I might be a bit nuts to consider this one, but hey, I already admitted I don't know the area at all, so what the heck. I'm game to hear that and be advised if it be the case.

Did I miss a more obvious and direct option? What do you think of these options in mid-to-late April?

Thanks in advance!
ReallyBigMax

Some Reading for you on the Area.

More on the area with Two Gypsies giving good insight:)

Don't forget Kolob part of Zion National Park - often Missed but Beautiful!

IMHO Twogypsies will be your best advisor - Best of Luck with the Routes,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

accsys
Explorer
Explorer

You can read the requirements for using the tunnel at https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/the-zion-mount-carmel-tunnel.htm.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Can not answer your question at all, I am planning canyon trip for next year and came across this site. https://grandcircle.org/ I thought the map would help you out.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly