cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions for out of the way spots near Anchorage?

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Hey all, just moved up here. Finally got unpacked and wanna make a weekend tripthis weekend.
Thinking about down near Homer, try hitting a beach to camp.
Maybe take one of those chartes out for Halibut. Any specifics there that would help are appreciated.
Seems rivers are still running pretty high and muddy, but any nice areas (they're all nice here haha) out of the way with some ponds, lakes to do a little trout fishing with the kids?
Would like to stay within 2hrs of Anchorage tops and dont know the way around much yet. Been up to Hatchers Pass a couple times snowmobiling. Looks awesome what about some ponds up there?
Dont need any hookups or even a campground per se.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
12 REPLIES 12

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Well thanks all for the advice.
We've spent a couple weekends now down on the Kenai peninsula. Absolutely amazing.
Got a freezer full o salmon too.
Ready for more, the rest of the summer.

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I second anywhere on the Kenai Peninsula, Girdwood, Portage Glacier, Whittier (as I never been there), Flattop Mountain, Arctic Valley, Knik Glacier Road, Willow Creek area, Nancy Lake, Deshka Landing, Hatcher Pass, the cove at the end of KGB Road (Knik Goose Bay) but watch out for a few of the summer homesteaders and partiers there depending the time of day or night, and everywhere else PA12DRVR mentioned as the Anchorage Area has so much to offer nearby.

The government campground in Hope can fill up pretty quick as the area of Hope itself is not generally crowded at all.

Areas mentioned on this post is within a relative two hour reach.

Pretty ironic as I still never taken my camper rig on the Kenai Peninsula to this day.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Planning on hitting WIllow creek later in the summer when we can enjoy the whole Hatcher pass. Got a buddy with acerage on Willow Cr right near the end of the plowed road. Snow machined up there a couple times in April..........unreal! And I've been riding in the mtns for 15yrs. This place is awesome!

What about Nancy Lakes State Park? Looks nice.
Also Chugach Natl Forest nearer to Wittier area, not way out on the peninsula (this time anyway). See lots of campgrounds but without having a full size map, kinda hard to place everything?

Stanbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Eklutna Lake is a great campground, but there isn't much fishing. the lake is glacier fed (and water supply for Anchorage)It's nice hiking there and there is a road/trail that goes along the lake. Make sure you bring the kids to Rochelles for ice cream.

Willow creek is great fishing, but mostly c&r above the parks highway.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Hope might also be good spot that is considerably closer than Homer or Seward. The Porcupine Campground is a Forest Service dry camping area, but you should get a reservation at recreation.gov if you can't get there until late on Friday. If you really want to fish salt water, there are halibut or salmon fishing charters at Whittier, which is also a lot closer than Homer.

Just getting away from the Anchorage area is easy, but a two-hour radius is more restrictive. Just remember, you and everyone else in town will be traveling the same route back, especially from the Kenai, on Sunday evening. But, whatever you do, have a great weekend!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Thanks for all the suggestions. Will look into the Homer spit.
2hrs give or take is for this weekend, just cause it will be a load up Fri night and head out kind of thing.
We live in ER, about 10min form the nature center. Been up tht way hiking already. Beautiful.
Good info in Hatchers. Didn't look like fishin territiory save for Willow Creek, but I was up there in 6' of snow. Look forward to going up there a little later in the summer.
How's Eklutna Lake? Campsites? Is it a catch all for day trippers out of Anchorage?

Gotta ck out Seward and the aquarium. Kids will love it.
That Whittier pic is breathtaking! Cant wait to get out this summer!

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP....are you looking for strictly places you can fish or also weekend getaway spots that may or may not have fishing?

If just get-away spots there's quite a few near to Anchorage...probably most of them are at risk of being wet and/or muddy still.

- Hatcher Pass is hard to beat for "near Anchorage"
- For hiking and backcountry camping (i.e. carry a tent in a backpack), there are any number of access points to Chugach state park from the Anchorage hillside...going to be pretty wet still, though.
- Eagle River access to Chugach State Park...great for hiking, bit more work to haul a tent in......still likely to be wet
- Any number of spots going south: Portage Visitor Center, Bird Ridge Hiking, Spots 2 -4 (I can't recall the name, but between the Potter Station and Girdwood)
- Any number of spots going North/Northeast: Talkeetna, King Mountain, Sheep Mountain, Matanuska Glacier, etc. Sheep Mountain will be at the limit of your 2-hour window depending on traffic and where you are in Los Anchorage
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Eagle River SP is a nice CG, some nice hiking at the nature center, too. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Stanbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Homer is way outside your 2 hour limit. Hatchers Pass is nice, but not really any fishing there. Kepler Bradley is probably your best bet. Bring some raw shrimp if you are bait fishing (lakes only!)

Sounds like you are new here, so make sure you really study the fishing regs. Almost every river has special rules.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

What type of camper do you have?

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Creek Just south of Los Anchorage...good bet for pinks: ain't much for eating but the kids will like it. There are spots for tent camping (can be driven to, but not in an RV)

Jewel and Mirror Lakes (not sure when the bite will be best with this weird spring) in Anchorage and Eagle River: Good for (again) trout and landlocked salmon fishing.

For something different "Chugach Backcountry Fishing": guide service, offers 1/2 day trips either walk-in or river floats. Might be pushing the "2-hours" from Anchorage as he operates from Hope IIRC.

Palmer Area; (oh oh, brain fart)...oh, yeah Keppler-Bradley lakes. There's a "commercial" operation on one of them that rents canoes, paddleboats, etc. and sells worms and grubs for bait. The stocked trout will go crazy for those. There are also both commercial and public camping areas nearby.

Little Su (again, pushing the 2-hour envelope): This is a salmon stream that will be tough with high and muddy water, but its a place you can take your own boat or use a guide service (highly recommend Alaska Susitna Charters for a 1/2 day trip).
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
There is a campground on Homer Spit. Camp right on the water. Sites 98-121 are on the beach. Beach sites are dry camp $30. http://www.alaskacampgrounds.net/members/HomerSpitCampground/HomerSpitCampground.htm
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw this a while ago: Homer Road Construction.

In 2010, we got to do about a week camping mostly in the Kenai Peninsula. The Russian River area at a Forest Service Campground was really a nice. This was early July. We also stayed at Centennial park, the City Campground/Fishing Park at Soldotna.

We did a day trip to Homer from Soldotna. My son has taken a halibut trip out from Homer. They camped on the Spit when they were there. http://www.cityofhomer-ak.gov/recreation/campgrounds

Whittier was a neat little town. We did a day cruise out from their. Just before the Tunnel to get to Whittier at Portage there should be some boondocking sites, such as ๐Ÿ™‚ These. Nice area around Portage. :C Clicky

There was only one Campground in Whittier, up at the base of the mountain. Take Whittier St. off the main Rd coming into Town, Take Glacier Ave. of this Street. This should take one by the tallest building (used for housing) around. Campground below:

Whittier from the Sound:

There is beach access (but no camping) by the Sound, access Rd is near the 'staging' area before entering the tunnel by Whittier. Turn to the Right if coming from Whittier. One might find something up above Whittier after leaving town up into forest area. ?

They have enjoyed trips down to Seward. Camping by the Bay & fishing from shore. They enjoyed the Aquarium there as well. AK Sea Life Center Found these online: http://freecampsites.net/exit-glacier-road/ and City of Seward.

Our 3 weeks in Alaska - 2011 with a few pics.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp