cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summer trip to Orlando - Apopka Florida

Tanya6520
Explorer
Explorer
We are making a trip to Orlando Freightliner to have our "ride" serviced. When we do this, we usually spend a couple of days in a CG and ride the paved bike trails in central Florida. Most recently Dunedin and Winter Garden and St Augustine. I have searched til I am confused as to what to do this trip. I have checked out Orange City, Daytona area. Does anyone have ideas for a fun couple of days. Basically trying to find a cool breezy spot (Ha Ha), some safe areas to bike (maybe a big park where we could ride our bikes), walk to a nice restaurant. Our hobbies are orchids, art and music. Not much interested in the back woods unless it has a paved bike path. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the above, but would also like to mention Blue Springs State Park in Orange city. Nice cool springs for swimming and a very nice bike path directly across from the entrance. The bike path is approx. 6 to 8 miles under shade trees and leads to a nice park.
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to Mt Dora, try having lunch at the Mexican Restaurant just off the main street. It is a great little town to walk around with some very interesting stores - unusual stores with things you don't see everywhere you go.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We usually go to the antiques flea markets like Renningers in Mt. Dora or Three Star Flea Market in Apopka. Not always breezy but they do have shade and food vendors and it's a pleasant place to be instead of sweating on a trail somewhere. We count the walking of these large flea markets as exercise. Often they carry fresh local produce to keep my dutch oven habits happy.

Anything you're interested in, they usually have it. I like to pick up tools, wife likes to find things for her hobbies. They have stacks of old and rare records, musical instruments, furniture and every kind of oddment you can imagine. Just Bing either market by name and place and you'll be able to pull up directions.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
botts12 wrote:
The West Orange Trail in Winter Garden is wonderful.

Also my suggestion. The town of Winter Garden is really nice.
We felt very safe riding from the start near Clermont to Apokaka, which is beyond Winter Garden. Apokaka scared us and we did not continue past there. Call up Orange Bicycle Trail and you should get the information you require. It is a well used trail.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me, I would use Ocala Freightliner and stay at Grand Lake Resort.
I did not like Orlando Freightliner.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
That time of year in Orlando, the air conditioning at the local mall is wonderful!

botts12
Explorer
Explorer
The West Orange Trail in Winter Garden is wonderful.

TPUC
Explorer
Explorer
Ever thought about Oscar Sheere State Park. There is a rails to trails path that runs thru it. It is miles and miles long.
2012 Nissan Titan Pro 4X
2014 Cruiser Aire