cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This ever happen to you?

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
We stay primarily in the right lane when traveling. There have been times when tractor trailers cut in front of me so close I have to slow down. I have also been pushed over into another lane at no real gain to the trucks. They get lane crazy to gain just a few feet of open road. I do my best to stay out of their way. I don't park in truck stops or rest areas so as to avoid them.
My neighbor told me about a car pulling a trailer behind it that got caught between two tractor trailers. They went around on both sides and closed the gap as they passed, causing a vacuum that sent the car into a fishtail, knocking them over onto it's side.
35 REPLIES 35

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Two of the worst times I have been cut off were by semis. Once was on the rural interstate, there was a rest stop that a truck was leaving. Two lanes, I was in the right lane, another truck in the left preventing me from getting over. Truck entering the highway merged in well before the end of the accleration lane, right in front of me, going probably 25 MPH slower than I was going. Braked hard, avoided collision.

Another time a semi was trying to pass. His closing speed was fine until we got not an incline. The back of his trailer was barely past my cab, and he was slowing down rapidly due to the incline, he still decided to come into the lane I was in, and then immediately over to exit the highway.

I know we rely on truckers, but I am of the opinion that many of them drive like jackwads. Like when they decide to pass each other on a two lane interstate, the passing truck going maybe one MPH faster than the one in the right lane, and still 10 MPH below the speed limit. Causing them to hang in the left lane for a couple miles while all the traffic piles up behind them.

That is where I REALLY wish there would be a left lane minimum speed.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
In Washington state the only problems are with Canadian truckers. They speed with impunity and drive dangerously.
One time I saw one coming up from quite a distance behind me. I was in the middle lane because the right lane was ending. This guy came roaring up in the right lane, pulled his trailer up beside me and just moved over on me. Had the left lane not been empty (where he should have passed me) we would have all ended up in a bad collision.
Called state patrol, they couldn't care less.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Truly I have rarely seen an issue with big rigs anywhere in this country.

Of all my traveling full time around it, they seem to be the victims of dopes in cars that don't realize it's hard to stop a truck or RV short or quickly change course.

Only once have I seen a trucker really out of line.

There was an exit ahead and cars were going down a bit of the breakdown lane to get off the exit. That may not be ideal, but it does bleed off quite a few cars that would otherwise be making even more traffic. It's a good thing. This guy tried ramming each car that came down the breakdown lane. I reported it.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Truth is. The trucks passing me don't affect me hardly at all. I have way more trouble out of the full size vans.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
Can't say it has ... but I avoid the interstates as much as possible when towing. I'm a slow driver and there's no advantage for me on a high speed interstate.

But for a car it isn't fun to be caught behind a big slow driver on a two lane highway. On a freeway I can always pass without worrying about on coming traffic.

It also depends on the road - passing on a flat midwestern road is different from passing on a curvy mountainous road. There we often have to wait for the passing lane on climbs.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Can't say it has ... but I avoid the interstates as much as possible when towing. I'm a slow driver and there's no advantage for me on a high speed interstate.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed