cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To Leadville, Co

insask
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to Leadville mid-March,and pulling a 33ft fifth. Is either hwy 24 or 91 ok. I will be on I70 going south to Leadville.
8 REPLIES 8

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
insask wrote:
I am going to Leadville mid-March,and pulling a 33ft fifth. Is either hwy 24 or 91 ok. I will be on I70 going south to Leadville.

Just drove through there Today (Beautiful drive on a Sunny Day) - Eagle county does a very poor job on the roads, so if they have had snow in the last week Rt 91 will be a much better option, while not completely clear at least you had a couple of lanes for most of the way to Leadville, then when I turned on Rt 24 to Red Cliff as soon as I saw a sign saying Entering Eagle County the roads were completely cover stayed that way all the way to Red Cliff, drivable but snow covered.

So as has been said you had better have a good reason or be a really good driver as the snow, while Beautiful is still slick, and your first stop will be to the Truck Wash to get all the grime off.

Let us know what you decided and how the drive was, I loved the drive but had a 4X4 with just a snowmobile trailer.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
You had better have a good reason to go to Leadville in March like snow shoeing or skiing. It is one of their heaviest snow months. I think the only place you will have to camp is downtown. All the BLM/Forest Service campgrounds will still me under feet of snow. You might think about staying in Buena Vista. It is almost 2,000 feet lower than Leadville. It is about a 45 minute commute.

Either of your route are ok. I prefer the Freemont Pass route as opposed to Tennessee Pass. Road grade is more gradual and is in better condition.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
As for the route, either one is fine. You don't say where you will be the night before. If you're coming from the west, take US 24. Coming from the east take CO 91. To do 24 if you're coming from the east or 91 if you're coming from the west means you add Vail Pass to the equation.

This is exactly what I was thinking, but DON'T MISS THE EXIT at Copper Mountain as I did one day towing--from the east on my way to Buena Vista. There is no turn around, so I had to go on over Vail Pass and take 24.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
As noted, mid March can be very snowy.

As for the route, either one is fine. You don't say where you will be the night before. If you're coming from the west, take US 24. Coming from the east take CO 91. To do 24 if you're coming from the east or 91 if you're coming from the west means you add Vail Pass to the equation.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Busskipper wrote:
insask wrote:

Rt 91 would be the quicker of the two but both are fine - with the longer more scenic drive being Rt 24.

Mid March might require you to look at CDOT to be sure the roads are clear - Was there yesterday in the Car in a white out - and March and April tend to have a number of good snow storms. Been a great year for the skiers, look at the CDOT this would not be a route I'd take right now!

Best of Luck,

X2^^ I once got caught in a blizzard that dumped several feet of snow just north of there on the second of May! That's the second of May, in case that didn't come through the first time.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
91 would be less stress. It is shorter, and will have a higher average speed. The other is twisty. From I-70 I would tow on 91, and leave 24 for a cruise without the trailer.

When I was working at Climax and staying in Leadville, I would always drive my truck on 91 when traveling to/from Utah,but rode the motorcycle on 24.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Elevation at the airport 9947. Highest general aviation airport in the country.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
insask wrote:

Rt 91 would be the quicker of the two but both are fine - with the longer more scenic drive being Rt 24.

Mid March might require you to look at CDOT to be sure the roads are clear - Was there yesterday in the Car in a white out - and March and April tend to have a number of good snow storms. Been a great year for the skiers, look at the CDOT this would not be a route I'd take right now!

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach