cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing through New York City

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed my trailer up and down the mountains of Colorado and California. I've gone up Interstate 5 up California (horrible road surface). I've been stuck in Seattle traffic tie-ups. I've towed in rain and high winds without getting blown out of my lane. A few anxious moments but nothing truly frightening.
My next trip involves towing my travel trailer from Jersey City to Boston over I-95. This involves driving across the George Washington Bridge and over the Cross-Bronx Expressway. Frankly, that scares the **** out of me. What a maze! I'm afraid I'll miss a key exit and wind up on some sketchy surface street without a clue of what to do next.
Am I being being overly terrified or should I just be mildly concerned?
Any tips of what to watch for to make sure I'm in the optimum lane(s) to get through New York City without experiencing any white knuckle experiences?
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel
38 REPLIES 38

WAIT.....

When you get off the exit for the Tap.... ( know know as mayor Cuomo bridge ) You can take 684 N to 84 East...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
tenspeedret360 wrote:
That's correct, I was putting you on the garden state further south, but 95 to 80 works as well.
Have a safe trip!

**edit** the tappan zee bridge signs probably say mario cuomo bridge. tax and spend Andrew named the bridge, at taxpayers expense, after his old man.

I typed in Tappan Zee Bridge into Google Maps and it was indeed labeled Cuomo Bridge. But thanks for the warning.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“Am I being being overly terrified...”

Yes. RVing is supposed to be fun. Lighten up. Make the drive.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
tenspeedret360 wrote:
That's correct, I was putting you on the garden state further south, but 95 to 80 works as well.
Have a safe trip!

Thanks a bunch. Just the advice I was looking for. Now to sign up for EZ-Pass. Sure are a lot of tollroads in your neck of the woods.
Dave
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
NYC?????
Go North till you smell it,,,,,
And East till you step in it,,,,,
And then spend half a lifetime trying to get the memories out of your mind.

tenspeedret360
Explorer
Explorer
Have a safe trip!

**edit** the tappan zee bridge signs probably say mario cuomo bridge. tax and spend Andrew named the bridge, at taxpayers expense, after his old man.
Kevin
FMCA #F383349
2006 Monaco LaPalma
2015 Hyundai Elantra

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
tenspeedret360 wrote:
The cross Bronx is an absolute horror show. Tractor trailers everywhere, cars, trucks, and taxis that absolutely don't give a hoot about you and your trailer wanting to get over. You putting your directional on to change lanes is the signal to other drivers to speed up and not let you in. I don't know when you plan this trip, but I would avoid nyc, unless that's your destination, like the corona virus.

What I would suggest,is, and this is assuming youre taking I78 to I95, would be to stay on I78 past 95, and take that to the Garden State Parkway, (toll road). Take that to the end, which is the NYS thruway (I87/287) and take that east to the Tappan Zee Bridge. When you cross the bridge, you want to work your way to the left lanes, because 87 and 287 split, and you want to be on 287. tTake 287 to the end, and pick up 95 north.

Your truck and trailer will thank you.

Kevin

Yes, I see that route now. My blood pressure is coming down now. It looks like I'll need to take I-80 westward to connect from I-95 to the Garden State Parkway. Otherwise your instructions look good to me. It will probably add some miles but my underwear will likely stay clean.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seek professional psychiatric help!
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

tenspeedret360
Explorer
Explorer
The cross Bronx is an absolute horror show. Tractor trailers everywhere, cars, trucks, and taxis that absolutely don't give a hoot about you and your trailer wanting to get over. You putting your directional on to change lanes is the signal to other drivers to speed up and not let you in. I don't know when you plan this trip, but I would avoid nyc, unless that's your destination, like the corona virus.

What I would suggest,is, and this is assuming youre taking I78 to I95, would be to stay on I78 past 95, and take that to the Garden State Parkway, (toll road). Take that to the end, which is the NYS thruway (I87/287) and take that east to the Tappan Zee Bridge. When you cross the bridge, you want to work your way to the left lanes, because 87 and 287 split, and you want to be on 287. tTake 287 to the end, and pick up 95 north.

Your truck and trailer will thank you.

Kevin
Kevin
FMCA #F383349
2006 Monaco LaPalma
2015 Hyundai Elantra