cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip to Phoenix AZ

IND_navyvet
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to Phoenix, AZ but we are staying at The Lost Dutchman SP.
Will be traveling I - 40, would like to know if there is a good route from Holbrook to Lost Dutchman SP.
Would like to avoid Phoenix if possible and safe.
Chevy dually pulling 30 ft. fifth wheel.
Thanks for your help.
11 REPLIES 11

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I think Prescott would be just fine for you working around your necessary stay in Phoenix. Due to family we once needed to be close to Phoenix one recent summer. We alternated between Prescott and Flagstaff. Hope it works out for you.

Also, if you plan on returning to the Phoenix area a little later in the fall season or winter/spring, the regional parks are excellent places to stay. They are in various places circling the greater Phoenix area, have nice large campsites, great hiking and in scenic areas. We use them, along with Lost Dutchman when we visit the area.
Our favorites are McDowell Mountain, Usery, Cave Creek and Lake Pleasant.

Maricopa County Parks of the Phoenix Area
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Good plan - 2 days in Phoenix and then head to higher ground where it is cooler. Ave high for 9/1 is 104 and for 9/30 is 94. Not to mention traffic and pollution.

Lots of choices for cool - Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Fool Hollow (great place I hear but not been there) but not much going on in Show Low itself (have been there). Even down here by Tucson is cooler. You will have to check for reservations though.

Enjoy.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

IND_navyvet
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies thanks for the reply. No we don't want to cancel our trip we just need to be within about 50 mi. of Phoenix and there is no way dates can change. We are keeping our fingers crossed for good weather but stuff happens, or we may go and try to tough it out. We really only need 2 days in Phoenix and could move north for cooler weather after that.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
IND_navyvet wrote:
September. We are keeping an eye on the heat, if it is still that hot when we are a little closer to time we will probably not go.

Gosh...I wouldn't cancel your trip. 😞 There are other places the first part of Sept. in AZ where you would be much cooler such as Fool Hollow Lake State Park near Show Low (a beauty), Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Prescott. Then toward the end of Sept. Lost Dutchman will have cooled off a lot. You could also spend some time in New Mexico around Santa Fe (Cochiti Lake Corp of Engineers park) while you're waiting for Arizona to cool down. (Not south of Albuquerque though - still hot). Or...how about Pagosa Springs, Colorado, Durango, Mesa Verde Nat'l Park? Lots of neat places to tour before the Phoenix area. All of the above are good through October.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

IND_navyvet
Explorer
Explorer
September. We are keeping an eye on the heat, if it is still that hot when we are a little closer to time we will probably not go.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, either of the given routes would be good traveling. We've volunteered at Lost Dutchman and it's always a favorite park to visit. However, are you planning a trip for this summer? The general Phoenix area is a fall/winter/spring destination due to the 110 deg temps! Have fun!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

IND_navyvet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, interesting routes can not wait for our trip to start.

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:
Just south of Holbrook pick up 377. Follow it to 260, then to 87. Follow 87 until you are close to Phoenix then pick up N Bush Highway. Follow it to Usery Pass Rd. Follow that to Brown Rd, then east to Rt. 88. Go north to park entrance. Note Brown road name will change to Lost Dutchman Blvd.

I've traveled this route several times and found it to be better than through Globe. IMO...Your GPS will no doubt suggest the Globe way. I live near Bush & Brown. ..Whatever route you chose,have a safe trip...
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Just south of Holbrook pick up 377. Follow it to 260, then to 87. Follow 87 until you are close to Phoenix then pick up N Bush Highway. Follow it to Usery Pass Rd. Follow that to Brown Rd, then east to Rt. 88. Go north to park entrance. Note Brown road name will change to Lost Dutchman Blvd.

If you don't mind two lane roads and like the shortest route turn off I-40 east of Grants and go south on 117 to 36, then left on that road to 60. Follow 60 to route 88 in Apache Junction, then north to park entrance. This would be my preferred route.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take 77 south from Holbrook to Show Low and then 60/77 south to Globe. From Globe southwest on 60 will take you to the Apache Junction turnoff and on into Lost Dutchman. You will love Lost Dutchman SP, one of our favorites. Lots to see and do in the area and still close enough to hop on into Phoenix should the need arise.

Another somewhat more scenic/rural route is go south on 191 off of I-40 at Sanders down to Eagar. Pickup 260 west at Eagar over to Show Low. You will do some climbing, up over 9,000' but the road is good and the scenery is awesome. Neither route will pose any problems for your rig.

Here is a shot taken at LDSP, bring your hiking boots!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
From Holbrook Hwy 77 to Show Low then Hwy 60 to Apache Junction....roughly 195 miles
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31