cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Route 50 America's loneliest route

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
I came across this and it got me dreaming and thinking... gotta do it some day.
http://unusualplaces.org/u-s-route-50-americas-loneliest-road/
28 REPLIES 28

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine, we thought Nevada was going to be dull, but we were wrong -- the northeastern corner of the state is mountainous and beautiful. Here is a link to our recent trip to Great Basin -- lots of photos:

GBNP

And even the parts of Nevada that were cactus and rocks were terrific in their own way -- distant horizons, sweeping valleys, lonely ranches, wild horses on ridge lines. It was like driving through a huge Western movie set.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nevada is nothing but cactus and rocks.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking forward to seeing the "other end" of US-50.

The other end of US 50 is Sacramento. But before you get there heading west you will travel very near Virginia City, through Carson City and access the south end of Lake Tahoe. The great American author Mark Twain called Lake Tahoe in his book Rouging It 'the fairest picture the whole earth affords'. It is worth a visit.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

KansasRV
Explorer
Explorer
On the bucket list as well...I've heard great things

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of very desolate highways in the west but Nevada has more than its fair share of them. Outside of the Reno/CC and Las Vegas metro areas, the biggest town in Nevada is Elko at 16,000 - and it's the only one with more than 10,000 people. Apply that to a state the size of Nevada and you start to get a handle on how desolate it really is outside of the two aforementioned metro areas.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
US-50 is on our bucket list. We enjoyed a few days Ely--great train ride, touring the steam locomotive repair shop, the charcoal ovens at the state park, drives into the area mountains and a nice small town! A little further east is Great Basin NP--cave tour, hiking bristle cone pine trees, and great views in the afternoon with the mountain shadow advancing across the desert. Looking forward to seeing the "other end" of US-50.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Don't miss Great Basin National Park right near the Utah/ Nevada border.

BTW - once your get to Utah, it's about 100 miles before you get to anything at Delta. Great view of the dry lakes though.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have driven most of US-50 through the plains states and many sections in the East and West. Here are a couple of other links that I think might help you plan a trip: Coast to Coast on US-50, US-50 Driving Route.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Middlegate Station in a fun place to hit on a weekend when impromptu jam sessions usually break out. They have a very limited number of RV hookups, many taken by people living there but you can dry camp for free if they have no vacancies. They have a Facebook page that will give you the flavor of this cool dive!

https://roadtrippers.com/us/fallon-nv/food-drink/historic-middlegate-station

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've driven it a few times and it's not void of people but yes, it's an easy pleasant drive. Any road you pick in Nevada will be similar. Drive on the top 1/2 of your tank. It's no time to try to shop for good prices.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you like lonely desert roads (and who doesn't??), Highway 6 from Bishop to Ely is really great. Make sure your iPod is full of good music -- there is almost nothing on the radio and almost no cell service.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I came across this and it got me dreaming and thinking... gotta do it some day.
http://unusualplaces.org/u-s-route-50-americas-loneliest-road/

The 'loneliest road' slogan was and is advertising. And if it was ever really that lonely today it certainly is not. But, it still is a great drive across Nevada and accesses one of the newest National Parks, the Great Basin Nat'l Park. Well worth the visit.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a good stretch of highway and a good way to get to, or come from Yosemite. The way the people in California are bailing out tho it may not always be too lonely.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Great highway to see a lot of nothing! Many animals a great views. I am ready to do it again.
Watch your fuel!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker