cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US-550 North of Durango - Pack extra underwear for your trip

OldBlackWater
Explorer
Explorer
I just drove this route, the "Million Dollar Highway" (which seems like a bargain) yesterday morning. There are a few short sections where you want to take it extra slow so that you don't add to your passengers' laundry (or your own), but it was so worth the drive to see such beautiful scenery.

Heading north out of Durango, the first two mountain passes before Silverton are definitely worth stopping for, and the parking areas were fine for my motorhome with toad. Then the drive through the canyon north of Ouray was incredible. So worth routing your trip through this area if you don't mind the steep drops without guard rails. Just take it slow and follow the speed limits and the suggested speeds on the curves and you'll be fine.
Steve -- Murphy, TX

2011 Fleetwood Storm 32BH (2011 Ford F-53 V10)
2013 Ford C-Max Energi with ReadyBrake
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, cute decorative lights in the shapes of peppers and RVs, one lovely wife, and three kids
14 REPLIES 14

debraindi
Explorer
Explorer
We made reservations at Ridgeway st park for 5 day in 2 weeks with our new toy hauler im taking the alternate rout to Ouary its centrally located for the Harley rides.
2013 LML Duramax
2015 311 Keystone Impact
200q 24 partycraft 150 mercury
Time out motor cycle trailer
2009 Harley RG 575 cams thunder-max tuned
1970 350 JD crawler loader

Gsturner
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago when wolf Creek Pass was closed due to forest fires, I was forced to do US 550 southbound into Durango. This was in a 45' Motor Coach (charter bus), Durango being destination for the group. Loved the scenery despite the glare off my white knuckles. This coach fortunately had reasonable Jake Brake which was very helpful. What I didn't anticipate however was the excessive wear on the tag tires from all the switchbacks. When I did my post trip upon arrival, discovered wire sticking out at least a third of the way around the left tag tire. Yikes!
SKP 115048
2016 Winnebago View 24M
2015 Harley Heritage Softail as toad
Retired:
2007 Titan LE with the Big Tow Package
2010 Rockwood 8315BSS
2008 Suzuki GZ 250-Response to 3/4 Life Crisis :C

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
We drive it several times every year. Gorgeous drive! Looks totally different in the winter than it does in the summer.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We did it 4 years ago this month, from Durango to Ouray. Be sure your brakes are in good shape. Mine got a little warm, especially on that last stretch between Silverton and Ouray. Glad we did it though.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It's one of our favorite routes - both directions - with some nights at Silverton - especially if you have a 4x4 to do the trails. Awesome!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
OBXcamper wrote:
I think I'll ride the train when I go this fall.

Train only goes to Silverton, which is beautiful. But most magnificent part of the drive is between Silverton and Ouray.

Thanks, I may reconsider my route leaving Durango to Moab. Trying to pack a lot of stops in between......
'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
OBXcamper wrote:

Train only goes to Silverton, which is beautiful. But most magnificent part of the drive is between Silverton and Ouray.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I drove the Million Dollar Highway some 30 years ago in a 36ft gas coach with a towed. My knuckles are still stiff!!!

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Beautiful drive not to be missed. We did it many years ago. But a friend drove it the year after and reported there was a section where the highway had broken off at the center line and slide off the side of the mountain. :E

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Been there, done that. Quite a thrilling route. :E It's definitely not a ride for the squeamish. What's fun is when you meet semis coming down as you are on the outside going up. :B

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
I drove that route south bound many years ago (1980) driving a Peterbilt with no Jake brake hauling a 235 Cat Excavator. Other drivers had been telling me to have your head screwed on straight for that trip !!! About 5 mph all the way down. Made it but did put a Jake brake on that motor few weeks after that. The next time over was a lot easier.

OldBlackWater
Explorer
Explorer
Jay Pat wrote:
Now, you need to drive the same route going south......
Pat

There were plenty of steep drops on my side heading north, but I was so happy to be on the uphill side heading north of Ouray!
Steve -- Murphy, TX

2011 Fleetwood Storm 32BH (2011 Ford F-53 V10)
2013 Ford C-Max Energi with ReadyBrake
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, cute decorative lights in the shapes of peppers and RVs, one lovely wife, and three kids

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Now, you need to drive the same route going south......
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315