cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US Hwy 50 from Scopio to Salina in Utah

sigbowman
Explorer
Explorer
Tomorrow, we will start driving from Carson City, NV, to Denver in our 30-ft motorhome with tow car. Our planned route is I-80 to Salt Lake City, then I-15 to I-70. Looking at the map, we see a shortcut using US Hwy 50 from I-15 to I-70. The map says it's 30 miles (vs more than 100 on the interstates). But is that stretch of Hwy 50 from Scopio to Salina OK for motorhomes? We would appreciate any comments. It will be our first time on I-70 west of Denver. From Denver we will continue to our home in Oklahoma.
11 REPLIES 11

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
Yes - we did that exact route in 2012 in our 34' Bounder. No problem at all. Once you hit I-70 and head east, it's pretty sparse across the San Rafael Swell, but very scenic. Make sure you're gassed up and ready to roll. Spotted Wolf Canyon, just west of Green River, is cool. Than just follow it east. On the other side of Moab, it gets a bit flat and boring until you're on the other side of Grand Junction. But from then on, WHOA Baby! You'll love it.

Mona to Scipio to Salina to Moab:
http://lens-flair.net/blog/day-10-mona-to-moab-spectacular-scenery/
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
The piece you are asking about from I-15 to I-70 is a good road and I drove it with a 30ft 5er. Get your fuel in Salida before getting on I-70 it is a long ways to the next station.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
TexasShadow wrote:
the shortcut from I 15 over to I 70 is fine.
and 50 across Nevada is good, too. and lonely, as they say, but it's a good lonely. ๐Ÿ™‚
Hwy 50 is one of my favorite roads and I would have to agree (it's a good lonely).

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
I take 50 East all the time, live 3 blocks from 50 in Fallon. Just gas up in Fallon and top off in Ely. Good station for gas at east end of Fallon called Fox Peak. I find I-80 boring. Safe Travels, Dick

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP is asking about cutting a small corner on the I15/70 interchange - in Utah. Not about taking US50 all the way across Nevada. I haven't driven it but previous discussions indicate no problems. It doesn't climb up over any mountains.

Another shortcut is US6/191 through Price. Also no problem.

Of course, coming from Reno, US50 all the way to I70 is a good option, with all the attendant warnings about gas and remoteness.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
the shortcut from I 15 over to I 70 is fine.
and 50 across Nevada is good, too. and lonely, as they say, but it's a good lonely. ๐Ÿ™‚
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
sigbowman wrote:
Tomorrow, we will start driving from Carson City, NV, to Denver in our 30-ft motorhome with tow car. Our planned route is I-80 to Salt Lake City, then I-15 to I-70. Looking at the map, we see a shortcut using US Hwy 50 from I-15 to I-70. The map says it's 30 miles (vs more than 100 on the interstates). But is that stretch of Hwy 50 from Scopio to Salina OK for motorhomes? We would appreciate any comments. It will be our first time on I-70 west of Denver. From Denver we will continue to our home in Oklahoma.

Why go so far south before you turn east? We use US-6 off of I-15 south of SLC at Spanish Fork and it takes you to Green River on I-70. It is a very good road and saves way more time and miles than going down to Scipio before heading east to I-70.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
Just ran 50 last Easter from Placerville, Ca. to Salina in our 35' toyhauler going to Moab, piece of cake. Fair amount of downhill on 70. 191 from Provo to Price long uphill, pretty good pull.
2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison, 2024 Cougar 27SGS

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. I have vivid memories from 1967. I was 21. 4 of us guys did an around the USA tour from Cincinnati during summer break from college. In a Plymouth Barracuda (rolling greenhouse) with no A/C. Not as many interstates back then. I've never been that hot since.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
sigbowman wrote:

Either Highway works but the last time I was on Rt50 across Nevada we had a couple of water bags on the front to keep the engine cool, anyone else remember those days? So as Executive says "lonely"

I would stay on I-80 just for peace of mind and save time by coming out of SLC on Rt 40 Through Craig and Steamboat, giving you the option of RMNP or Rt 9 or 40 down to I-70.

Another option out of SLC is 191/6 toward Moab, lots of options just need to know what your interest is getting from "A" to "B" or would you like to see some of Colorado, or Utah?

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like almost all of US 50, it's a two lane blacktop road with very little to see or do. US 50 is known as the "loneliest road in America" for good reason. It will save you miles and I've enjoyed the drive, but I hate interstates and avoid them when I can. You can take that section without any issues..just make sure you have a full fuel tank...there are no service stations there.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG