cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US82 throuhg Texas

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you weren't in a huge hurry, would crossing TX on US82 late May be a decent choice?

I do enjoy back roads, small towns, fields of flower, and have about three to five days to cross the state.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)
12 REPLIES 12

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am not sure but I don't think 82 goes into Louisiana.

You're right. I took it to Greenville, MS and then just inside Arkansas. Sorry, I was looking at campgrounds in LA when I typed the response.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
US 82 goes across southern Arkansas: Texarkana to cross the Mississippi at Greenville, MS across from Lake Village, Arkansas.

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
US 82 is a good road and you will see a sample of north Texas. You'll cross the piney woods, oakwoods & prairies, blackland prairies, rolling plains, and high plains. But, you will miss the trans Pecos, llano uplift, edwards plateau (hill country), south Texas brush country, gulf coast prairies & marshes, and coastal sand prairies. As the tourism office says "Texas, it's a whole 'nother country".

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Something you don't want to be downwind of - ever.

We experienced those a few years ago. To those who don't know, there is usually a manure pile so big you can see them sometimes from a couple miles away. The piles we saw on our trip often dwarfed the cow barns.

We learned real quick to put the A/C on recirculate it and try to speed up to 100mph so we could get by them before the smell started peeling the paint off the truck and your watering eyes blinded the driver. (j/k) The smell is so strong you would not notice if a skunk sprayed you if you are near one.

I've done 82 from Birmingham to just into Louisiana and enjoyed that section. That is what got me thinking about crossing Texas using it.
I am not sure but I don't think 82 goes into Louisiana. US80 does.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

neilnbe
Explorer
Explorer
Being from New England we don't have those here. Been to Texas a couple times but apparently didn't run across any...thanx I'll try and keep clear.
Neil, Deb
2 Kids 1 Dog
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire
'11 Ford Edge
Mountain Master Towbrake
Blue Ox Adventa II

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Feed lots are where your steaks come from. But all you ever see are all the open ranges with a bunch of cattle photoshopped in for the ads. X2 on not being downwind. Ask any Texan (except those in the cities, they don't know where beef comes from either). The closes thing to feed lots are pig farms.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III

We experienced those a few years ago. To those who don't know, there is usually a manure pile so big you can see them sometimes from a couple miles away. The piles we saw on our trip often dwarfed the cow barns.

We learned real quick to put the A/C on recirculate it and try to speed up to 100mph so we could get by them before the smell started peeling the paint off the truck and your watering eyes blinded the driver. (j/k) The smell is so strong you would not notice if a skunk sprayed you if you are near one.

I've done 82 from Birmingham to just into Louisiana and enjoyed that section. That is what got me thinking about crossing Texas using it.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We use 82 from Paris, Texas to Wichita Falls on our regular trip to Colorado from our East Texas home. It is a good road and the best way we have found to avoid the Dallas traffic.

Have no experience with the rest of 82 to the west. We have taken it trough Arkansas to the east.

Hiker_01
Explorer
Explorer
neilnbe wrote:
OK I'll bite....“feed lots“ what's a feed lot?

It's where they send the cattle to fatten them up just before going to market - a lot of cows and manure in one spot

neilnbe
Explorer
Explorer
OK I'll bite....“feed lots“ what's a feed lot?
Neil, Deb
2 Kids 1 Dog
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire
'11 Ford Edge
Mountain Master Towbrake
Blue Ox Adventa II

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Would do it before the interstates any day. except for a few feed lots, it was a good trip. OOps, we did 380 instead of 82 part of the way. Sorry, but it was still a good trip.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did US 82 in May a few years back, from GA to Waco, Tx. Enjoyed the highway. Left Waco one morning and shortly after we left a tornado touched down. Also, bad weather after we arrived at our destination. Just beware, listen to weather reports.

I would do that trip again. I hope to take 82 from Waco westward someday.