cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washington SW Coast to Yakima

paparry
Explorer
Explorer
We want to go from Washington coast to Yakima, WA. Driving a 40 ft MH with tow. Need suggestions on what Hwy's to take.
Larry / Sheri
& a cat named: Wilson
10 REPLIES 10

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
We like Hwy 12 and take it all the time. South of there we prefer WA 14 on the north side of the river over I-84 but we are very seldom in a rush. Then up through the Horse Heaven Hills. Stay at the Bridge RV Park for a night and then at Wine Country RV in Prosser.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use 6 with my smaller MH but there are several very narrow bridges. Doable, but I think you'd rather avoid it. It would be better to take 101 all the way to 12.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy. 12 is very advisable. We've done it often. Never been on Hwy 6 from Astoria so hopefully someone else will chime in. From Astoria we have been on WA Hwy 4 and OR Hwy 30 which are good. We just came through the Portland area and will do our best to avoid it in the future - awful traffic. Good travels!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

paparry
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for info. I have seen some of Columbia river area was hoping to go north from Astoria and then east. Hwy 6 then to hwy 12????

Need to update map, several areas not listed.
Larry / Sheri
& a cat named: Wilson

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Taking I-84 sends you through Portland-Vancouver metro area. Taking pretty much any route to get to US-12 over the Cascades is pretty much preferable to that, in my opinion. Both routes are very beautiful,with I-84 you experience the Columbia Gorge and with US-12 (White Pass) Mts. Rainier and St. Helen's close-up. Having done both, I prefer the White Pass route to Yakima better.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
From Astoria take US30 cross the bridge to Longview and I5 south. Get on I84 east avoiding most of the Portland chaos. Biggs junction where you pick up US97 north. Couple of steep climbs, one out of the Columbia river basin another after Goldendale. But both doable. If you like wine, stop at Snoqualmie winery in Patterson,Wa. Best Riesling you will find on the west coast!
This is probably the best route. But if you are further north on the WA coast, you could take US 12, which is a beautiful route straight to Yakima. Rigs of all sizes take it every day.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
From Astoria take US30 cross the bridge to Longview and I5 south. Get on I84 east avoiding most of the Portland chaos. Biggs junction where you pick up US97 north. Couple of steep climbs, one out of the Columbia river basin another after Goldendale. But both doable. If you like wine, stop at Snoqualmie winery in Patterson,Wa. Best Riesling you will find on the west coast!

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where exactly on the SW WA coast?
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

ghsebldr
Explorer
Explorer
Now you can fill in Wa and Or on your US map too. Congratulations only 38 to go.

ghsebldr
Explorer
Explorer
Go across the bridge to Astoria then east on hwy 26 make your way through Portland and head east on hwy 84 then head North on hwy 97 over Satus pass to Yakima. Best trip for the view. (Honk as you go past the chain up area 9 miles north of Goldendale)
Fastest trip, again cross bridge to Astoria the east to I-5, North for about 75 miles then east on Hwy12 toward Morton and Yakima. This way is a nice ride from Morton to Yakima with very little traffic.
Honk as you drive by Castle Rock Wa on I-5. Happy trails.