cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Western trip planning

billseal
Explorer
Explorer
Planning trip in Sept. to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Utah. What kind of weather should I expect? Suggestions for CG and sightseeing other than National Parks appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

cheteckie
Explorer
Explorer
Jackson, WY, has a huge arts festival the second week in September. There are gallery tours, historic tours, and lots of activities for all ages.
2013 Allegro Bus
2013 Subaru WRX

billseal
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good info.

billseal
Explorer
Explorer
Where are these passes that were mentioned located?

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
billseal wrote:
...Planning trip in Sept. to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Utah...Suggestions for ... sightseeing other than National Parks appreciated...
You could very likely spend the whole month of September in any one of the states you mention. We have spent the most time in Utah, so will start with that state. We have spent a week exploring just the UT-12 Scenic Byway between Bryce and Capitol Reef. Other scenic byways and backways worth exploring are: Hells Backbone Scenic Backway, Burr Trail, Fishlake Scenic Byway, Kane Creek Road, UT-261 (the Moki Dugway), Flaming Gorge Scenic Byway, Potash Lower Colorado Byway, and the Upper Colorado River UT-128 Scenic Byway. Many of these are best explored in other than a large RV or towing.

Here are links to some of the places we have visited and enjoyed:
Goosenecks State Park
Hovenweep National Monument
Natural Bridges National Monument
Bluff Fort
South Fork of Mule Canyon and House on Fire
Cedar Breaks National Monument
Sago Canyon
Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park
Goblin Valley State Park
Escalante Petrified Forest State Park
Kodachrome Basin State Park
Anasazi State Park
Dead Horse Point State Park
The Valley of The Gods
Edge of the Cedars State Park
Dinosaur Museum
Utah Field House State Park
Dinosaur National Monument
Monument Valley
Arches National Park
Canyonlands National Park
Needles District
Newspaper Rock
Capitol Reef National Park
Bryce Canyon National Park
Zion National Park.

In Wyoming, you might easily spend a week or more in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. The facilities in these parks start to close after Labor Day and the closures continue throughout September. On the East side of Yellowstone, Cody has the Buffalo Bill Center Museum Complex, Old Trail Town, and the Nightly Rodeo. Thermopolis has the Hot Springs State Park, Legend Rock Petroglyph Site and the Dinosaur Museum. Devils Tower National Monument is in the Northeastern part of the state not too far North of I-90.

Both sides of Glacier National Park are worth visiting and the Going to the Sun Road is a must whether you drive it yourself, take a tour or use the Park's shuttle buses. The Little Bighorn Battlefield is worth a visit as are Fort Union, the Grant-Kohrs Ranch, Big Hole Battlefield, Nez Perce Historical Park and Bannack State Park.

Hope you have a Great Trip!!!
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
billseal wrote:
Planning trip in Sept. to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Utah. What kind of weather should I expect? Suggestions for CG and sightseeing other than National Parks appreciated.

IMHO, this is the BEST TIME to be in the states you are planning to visit. Get High and North first, so Glacier would be my starting point, moving towards Yellowstone and Idaho and ending up in Utah for October.

Need to be prepared to DRY CAMP, as often, all the CG's are closed or closing.Keep an eye on the weather, pack wisely, (nothing is open) and enjoy the most Beautiful and Quiet time to be in the area.

Added note;
If possible try to be in the high Aspen Filled Passes the last week of September, you will never forget it.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Wx would depend on elevation. Normally days are pleasant and in the 60s or 70s. You can never predict wx temps at higher elevations. (above 5000 ft) Could be just as nice or could he some snow. Around Cody WY we normally dont see constant bad wx until the end of the year. Although we may get a hard snow storm that lasts only a few days then warms again. Last winter we hardly had any snow all winter. Year before last we got -20 late Oct and lasted for a couple of months. My best bet is Sept would be pleasant.

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know your intended route(s), but there is a brand new Minuteman Missle Museum and two tours about 20 miles east if Wall, SD. Fantastic!