cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I stock up on?

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alaska-bound later this month and wonder what household/grocery items to stock up on before I cross the Canadian border from NE WA. I will be driving up the AlCan and down the Cassiar. In other words, what, if any, items might be difficult to find on my journey. Obviously, I am space-challenged in my small rig so there's a limit to stocking up.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8
75 REPLIES 75

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
joe b. wrote:
When you get to Alaska, you will find the roads referred to by name, not a number. Names such as, the Glenn Hwy, the Parks, the Richardson, the Seward, the Denali, should be called the Denali dirt road, the Tok Cut Off, still part of the Glenn, etc.

That's a fact! I have lived up here over 20 years and couldn't tell you a single road number. Intersections are also labled by road name or an arrow pointing which way to a town. We also have major roads that change names at curves within Anchorage (Muldoon Rd/Tudor Rd, L Street/Minnesota Dr/O'Malley Dr, Dimond Ave/Abott Loop Rd, etc).

If you use a compass for hiking, make sure you take the magnetic declination into account (magnetic north vs true north). Anchorage is around +17 degrees. It is shifting some, so many runways around the state have been remarked with a 1 degree change.

....and the higher prices up here are due to the Alaskan currency exchange. The exchange from your wallet to the stores register 🙂
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
AKSuperDually wrote:
Bring spares of anything that might break, and any special tool required to fix it. Bring cash. Cash talks big time in canada and Alaska both.

Other than that....you can buy anything you need, pretty much most of the way. Maybe bring some ammunition, it's hard to find in Alaska. bringing up your limit of 22LR could probably make you enough profit to pay for a tank of gas.

Gotta love it,we know you know better looking at your profile.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I lived in Alaska for many years and didn't recognize any of the Hwy #'s. I guess I knew in the back of my mind that they existed, but you'll never here them up there.

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm aware that the Denali Highway is a dirt road but, unless conditions are particularly bad, I believe my Tiger can handle it. And I do know it will take longer and plan to stop a couple of nights along the way.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
joe b. wrote:
When you get to Alaska, you will find the roads referred to by name, not a number. Names such as, the Glenn Hwy, the Parks, the Richardson, the Seward, the Denali, should be called the Denali dirt road, the Tok Cut Off, still part of the Glenn, etc.

....and the Denali Dirt Road is one of the most spectacular drives (IMNSHO) in the state, but it is not a good road for a big trailer or MH. Inverse relationship between the size of the RV and the speed at which it can be traversed
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
AK 8 maybe shorter but is going to take longer. I do not remember what the road was like (AK 8). Didn't think it was very good.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not planning to visit Fairbanks but plan to take A1 to A4, north from Gulkana then west on the Denali Highway, SR8. It's a little shorter than going through Delta Jct. On my way back from the Kenai, I will likely take A1 from Palmer to Tok.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Sourdough_Biscu
Explorer
Explorer
Mockturtle - If you do the "big loop" around the state, you'll almost have to pass through. It's between Tok & Fairbanks.

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gee, I wasn't planning on going through Delta Junction but may have to reconsider. 😉
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
There can be some fresh meat at that IGA too, although this wasn't for sale. :B

The "owner" was proudly showing her recent catch from the Taylor Highway...

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Sourdough_Biscu
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on Delta Junction IGA & fresh produce. Even most Alaskans don't know that little "secret".

(The story I heard was that the owner owns a truck and brings his own produce up. Maybe even sells it along to the way in Tok and/or Glennallen?)

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are a fruit toad like I am, I would stock up on FRESH fruit available in Prince George or Prince Rupert, as I am pretty sure Ksmloops, Terrace, or the rest of southern BC or southern Canada has real fresh stuff, but just enough estimated supply before crossing into Alaska or it will potentially be confiscated even if declared or you will be fined if not declared when asked.

As others noted, beyond Prince George or so the fruit is not so fresh as I do not recall buying fresh fruit in Grande Prairie or Dawson Creek.

In Fairbanks I only buy fruit at Fred Meyer where you have the best selection of fruit, mainly "fresh enough" but not overly great sometimes... as in comparison to the other chain supply stores that supply partially rotted or short shelf life stuff - the exact same condition as you will see throughout Whitehorse, Watson Lake, Fort Nelson, etc.

However the one exception of fresh real good produce and fruit remote wise within Alaska is available at the IGA store in Delta Junction, don't know where they get their supply but it's fresher than any store stocked in Fairbanks.

If one does not carry a cell phone like me, while in any Canada Walmart stores, stock up on the Datawave phone cards that are a great bargain to call anywhere within Canada or the US, the only catch is once activated they must be used within 6 months, so it's use it or lose it for remaining minutes....they still have payphones in Canada, more so than in the US or Alaska for that matter.

Other than that, many have posted consumer goods are pretty much widely available almost anywhere along the major small and large towns, just stock up on essential goods that you feel will not be available abroad.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
I am just saying, the same size bottle of laundry soap at the Safeway in Homer was $9 more than the Commisary in Fairbanks so I left it on the shelf. There are some things that are always more/the same at the Commisary but some good deals can be found. We were not overly concerned about prices but did note that they were considerably higher. If there is something you routinely eat that you may not be able to find, I would stock up on that. We thought our trip last summer would be a once in a lifetime trip but we are already planning our return trip. By the way, there is a very nice antique car/clothing museum (Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum) in Fairbanks that is perfect for a rainy day.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK