cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WI to Asheville, NC

Winston93
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for the best way to get from Wisconsin to Asheville, NC with my 1993 Minnie Winnie Class C motorhome with a 6 cylinder engine. It runs great but my daughter thinks going thru the mountains will be too much for my little motorhome. Any thoughts on taking it thru the mountains or a better route?
7 REPLIES 7

Winston93
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your help. I was feeling good about the trip but my daughter's suggestion had me worried since I love my Minnie Winnie.

I figure if someone is behind us on the road, they probably don't expect much from a Minnie Winnie so we'll take our time and enjoy the ride.

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
We have driven through Asheville to the north woods of Wisconsin many times and have used several routes. Most GPS devices would route you through Chicago to I-65, to I-64 in Louisville, to I-75 in Lexington, to I-40 in Knoxville.

We don't like driving through Chicago or Louisville. Here is the route we would take.

I-39 to I-74 in Bloomington, to I-275 around Cincinnati, to I-75, to I-640 around Knoxville, to I-40.

That route is about 50 miles further than the one I described in my first paragraph.

The climb from Tennessee into North Carolina (Pigeon River Gorge) is long, but gradual. There are steeper grades on I-75 form Kentucky into Tennessee.

To avoid the majority of the climbs (but not Pigeon River Gorge), you would need to go through Nashville.

I-39, US 51, I-74, I-57, I-24, I-40.

That would add another 60 miles.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
There are several Interstate routes to Asheville and they all have a few steep hills thru the Blue Ridge but you are in and then out of them fairly quickly. Every size and type of vehicle and rvs go thru this area daily with out a problem. Just don't ride your breaks going downhill and stay in the slow lane going uphill. Out in the Rockies there are Interstate passes that are over 9000' but in the south east nothing much over 3000'. Mt Mitchell in North Carolina is the highest peak East of the Mississippi at 6684'. But the Interstates don't go over the peaks, they mostly cross thru the lowest points or gaps. There are local roads thru the Blue Ridge area that are much worse to drive so use the Interstates. However, you didn't mention the time of year. All the routes thru the mountains can have freezing rain and snow when its only raining down below, so if you are headed that way in a cold time of year watch the weather very closely.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only way to avoid the mountains is to go way out of your way. I40 from Knoxville to Asheville isn't that bad. Only about a 2000 foot climb but that is over eight miles of roads so not steep. As mentioned make sure your rig is in good shape and it should not have a problem.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I would take it into a trusted shop in your area prior to your trip. Have them check everything over good, including radiator hoses and such. Make sure all your maintenance is up to date, like transmission fluid/filter changes for example. If your brakes are even close to the end of their life have them replaced and serviced now.

Don't overload your RV and you should be good to go.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

DCS7
Explorer
Explorer
We came back from Asheville on 40, 75, 64 and 57 in our Class C Navion with toad. I don't think it was very difficult, just managing this hills, curves and descents with traffic. We only drove a couple of hours the day we went from Asheville to Southen TN which was the most difficult part in my opinion.

L2R
Explorer
Explorer
When you get to the Smokey mountains, my guess is your better off staying on the interstate as back roads would be more challenging.

I wouldn't worry about it just go and enjoy, if you are going slow, stay in the right lane with the other slow moving motorhomes and trucks.
Just checked our bank account, we can retire today if I stop spending money now.