cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter trip from NH to Florida

mrebele
Explorer
Explorer
We are just in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Florida next winter. Right now we are trying to decide on what would be our best route. Our other concern is finding places to stay while still in the cold weather. I'm not sure if we will be able to find any open campgrounds along the northern part of our route. We'll be heading south near the end of January and back north in early March. We will be towing a 30 ft travel trailer that will still be winterized and looking to go 250 to 300 miles a day. I would love to hear suggestions for the best route and well as suggestions for how to find places to stay in cold weather. BTW, we unfortunately will not have a generator with us. Thanks in advance for any tips you might have.
10 REPLIES 10

PatnRich
Explorer
Explorer
Pm sent
2010 Montana 3400RL, 2011 Ford F350,CC,SB,16K Pullrite SuperGlide

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
After 4 yrs of paying full campground prices for unlevel sites and hooking up in the cold (twice in the rain), we decided to pay an extra $50 to stay in a hotel. We make it from Cape Cod to Fredericksburg VA in 11 hours (leaving on a Sunday or News Years Day at 4 am. The Holiday Inn Express (at VA exit 126) has RV parking, and in-door pool, and a Longhorn Streak House nearby. We take I-95, 287 around NYC, Garden State Prkway, NJ Turnpike, back on 95 to 695 (W) around Baltimore, back on 95 to 495 around DC to 95 to Fredericksburg. Feel free to PM if I can answer any specific questions. Camp on!

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
Can't tell where you are in NH, but we always plan a short first day, stopping at Aces High CG in East Lyme, CT. There is also a year round spot in Florida NY called Black Bear campground. Both open year round. De-winterize (mid March...don't know your plans) and depending on the weather forecast and our destination we pick one of three routes;

Straight down 95, over to 81 or down the coastal route using the Delmarva peninsula.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions...we do the trip frequently.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
mrebele wrote:
We are just in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Florida next winter. Right now we are trying to decide on what would be our best route. Our other concern is finding places to stay while still in the cold weather. I'm not sure if we will be able to find any open campgrounds along the northern part of our route. We'll be heading south near the end of January and back north in early March. We will be towing a 30 ft travel trailer that will still be winterized and looking to go 250 to 300 miles a day. I would love to hear suggestions for the best route and well as suggestions for how to find places to stay in cold weather. BTW, we unfortunately will not have a generator with us. Thanks in advance for any tips you might have.

Come down to 84...at exit 1 in Pa.....right after you cross the bridge from NY on 84....there is a year round campground...Tri-State C/G..it is in Matamorious,Pa...then from there I'd stay right on rt 209 to 80 for 3 exits to rt 33 south to 22 and go thru Allentown to 78 then to 81....great winter route as you are going south away from the hills...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We stay at a motel that has truck parking and leave the furnace set at 50 degrees.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
you can search on www.woodalls.com for campgrounds open year round. Once you determine your route and location of first stop.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
If you go Here the website has several campsites in CT and NY open all year

mrebele
Explorer
Explorer
Patnrich, do you know about how long it takes you to drive to Jonestown from NH? I'm about 1 1/2 hours north of you so it will take me a little longer. Thank you PatnRich and K Charles. Both options look good if we decide that we can drive that far the first day.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Twin grove rv in pine grove pa is open all year and is not a koa any longer.

PatnRich
Explorer
Explorer
We are just south of Nashua and make the Florida run every year. Our route is as follows,495 to Mass Pike, 84 to 81, 77 to 26, 95 to 4. You will need to drive about 400-425 miles the first day to find an open campground. Lickdale-Jonestown KOA, or Carlisle,PA are the only ones that we have found open at that time of the year.

The trip for us is just under 1500 miles and we do it in 4 travel days, longer than your 250-300 miles per day. Since we travel about 350-400 miles per day, our overnight stops wouldn't work for you.
2010 Montana 3400RL, 2011 Ford F350,CC,SB,16K Pullrite SuperGlide