cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2022 campgrounds

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Do you think that the campgrounds are less full than the other summers?
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023
27 REPLIES 27

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
WE usually camp in spring and fall. In March we went from Pa to Texas. That was before the big jump in fuel prices. I am pulling a 26ft TT with a Nissan Titan diesel. Our fuel costs for the trip was over $1,700. Now it would be almost twice as much. We won't do that trip next year if fuel prices don't come down. I think many people will forgo the long trips and look for something closer. We booked a forest service campground in Pa for August. We had no trouble getting a site with water and electric.But that was coming in on a Sunday and leaving on a Thursday. We can make the trip with one tank of fuel each way.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
afidel wrote:
Just checked and for this weekend 3/4 of the state parks within an hour drive have an electrical site available. For 4th of July weekend almost half within 2 hours have an available electric site. I don't think I've ever seen that 2 weeks out from one of the big 3 summer weekends.

Soooo....?

Where ya gonna camp?

This weekend, Mill Creek CoE campground, booked Jan 1st. July 4th weekend, Mt. Gilead state park, also booked 1/1 ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

For the big weekends I book well in advance, but other weekends through late fall I'll just see what's open in a 2 hour radius with electric if the weather is nice and we don't have scouts/baseball/choir/etc going on.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

dedmiston
afidel wrote:
Just checked and for this weekend 3/4 of the state parks within an hour drive have an electrical site available. For 4th of July weekend almost half within 2 hours have an available electric site. I don't think I've ever seen that 2 weeks out from one of the big 3 summer weekends.

Soooo....?

Where ya gonna camp?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
I would keep an eye out for more cancellations this year. I think a lot of the reservations were booked 6-9 months ago before higher prices became such an issue.

Double ditto.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are about 60 days & 3500 miles into a MD to Newfoundland trip. So far really easy as far as campground availability goes.

The only big surprise has been space availability on ferries. Tough. Did not make reservations for the ferry from PEI back to mainland figuring midday, midweek, no problem. They just squeezed us on.

A couple of days ago tried to make reservations for the 7 hour ferry from Sydney to Newfoundland for tomorrow. Based on experience 6 years ago figured no problem with a midweek trip. No way. Booked solid. This is a BIG ship. Got lucky with space Wednesday so we sit doing nothing for a couple of days.

No idea how busy CGs will be in NL. No reservations. No set in stone itinerary estimating more than a month being on the island. We watched a caravan of 20 plus class As depart here last evening to catch the overnight ferry. Don't suppose they stay at places we do.

So far it has been more or less situation normal for our style of very few reservations wherever we go though we have called ahead a few times on the day needed.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It appears there are fewer people camping this year. We have been able to make reservations closer to the time of arrival. I am not sure whether it is due to covid easing, fuel cost, campground cost, or combination of the above. We generally don't plan very far in advance as we are both retired we like to just pick up and go.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just completed a 3,650 mile trip through NM, AZ, UT, CO, WY, SD, IA, IL, IN, OH WV, PA and MD from 1 April through 11 June. The parks were all busy. It did appear, though, that the number of people living in the parks permanently has increased since the last time we were in these areas a few years ago. (Of course, the last part doesn't apply to state and national parks.)

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

dedmiston
I would keep an eye out for more cancellations this year. I think a lot of the reservations were booked 6-9 months ago before higher prices became such an issue.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have been going to Knoeble's Grove in PA the second week of June for the last 12 years. The only way you could get in was if somebody didn't renew for the next year before they left. This past weekend I could see five open sites on Saturday just from my site.
They closed the amusement park one year for COVID. The campground was still open. It was pretty empty that year. And it seems the folks that found somewhere else to go that year, have not returned. That said, there are no seasonal sites and you still see the same campers in some of the spots every year. I've had the same neighbors for at least 8 years.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mfan wrote:
It's hard to tell in my area. It's not summer here yet.

Glad to hear that, we are headed up to the upper pen after Escapade in TN. Hopefully after black fly season
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
It's hard to tell in my area. It's not summer here yet.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't had any problems so far, but I didn't last year either. But we don't try to get spots we know are bound to fill like those next to popular national parks. Tho we did get three days in the Gros Venture cg in Grand Tetons at the last minute.
Last year we did spend several weeks in Yellowstone.
Once again I believe most of the parks being filled happen in NE and Cali camps. And on weekends nationally.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper