cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on West Virginia

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking of visiting West Virginia next summer. Our kids will be 14, 12, and 8.
We have never been to the state and have no preference of what area we visit. We'd just like to enjoy the great outdoors. We will need electricity, but full hook up is also welcome.
We'd like to go rafting while in the area.
Ideally, we'd like to find either a state park or private campground with hiking trails, swimming (either pool or lake), river, canoeing, etc.
We like to visit town for a day or so, but prefer to camp in a more natural setting.
We also enjoy history/forts or things of that nature.

I have had one recommendation to visit Pipestem.

We're open to any suggestions or recommendations you might have.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog
15 REPLIES 15

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't camp last weekend but visited Seneca Rocks and Blackwater Falls near Davis WVA
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
vermilye:
Love your shot of Babcock SP. When we were there several years ago it was drizzling and nasty, but still got a good shot of the mill, but not as good as yours.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
You will love West Virginia, lots to explore.

Check out the State Parks and National Forest Service CGs in the NE area...Canaan Valley, Blackwater Falls, Seneca Rocks. Near Canaan Valley is the Dolly Sods area, very scenic and great hiking there. All are very close to US 219. Maybe travel that road south towards Pipestem SP.

If the family likes to ride bikes, check out North Bend SP near Parkersburg, as it connects to a nice bike path that is easy to navigate, and is about 75 miles long west to east.

A private CG we stayed at was in Parsons (5 River I think was the name). There was river swimming, and canoeing in that area.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Piepstem is great. We also enjoyed Gerald R Freeman Campground on Sutton Lake and Bulltown Campground on Burnsville Lake.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check out Babcock State Park. Electric only (bathrooms with showers) first come sites. The campground is a couple of miles from one of the most photographed mills in the state - the Glade Creek Grist Mill:

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure of what part of W Va. you will be going to but we recommend The Harpers Ferry area, there is a KOA nearby with Full Hook ups, and a fair amount of things to do and places to see. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a very enjoyable week at Senica Shadows Forest Service CG. It's near a few cave systems that are worth visiting, and was a place the US Army trained mountain troops for the Normandy invasion. Great visitors center. There's also a couple of steam logging engine rides to the tops of local mountains along with a lot of history of the logging industry in the area. Also, the National Radio Astronomy Observatory at Green Bank, WV is just down the road. Between the tour and their visitor center you could easily spend a day there. The CG has only power at sites but a dump center and water available, but not at individual camp sites. That's the good news. Now perhaps the bad news, depending on how connected you are. Because of Green Bank, there is an electronics dead area around it that restricts radio, television, telephone, wifi, and any other electronics transmissions for an area of over 13,000 square miles. This means no wifi, no off air TV, no internet, no FM radio and very limited AM radio and NO PHONE WIRELESS SERVICE, voice, data or text. We had to drive about 30 miles over 3 ridges before we got a usable phone signal. We just loved it!
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Had a great WV trip this past summer, and blogged a trip report here.

Just start at that entry and use the "Next" buttons to follow the whole trip.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

lgarcia
Explorer
Explorer
Some great driving trails such as Rt 219 and the music it chronicles. Another is the Civil War Trail. Good camping all along the area.
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

avan
Explorer
Explorer
Would totally disagree with the advice to stay on the interstates or major US highways. W VA is a great state to explore and interstates and major US highways are designed to travel through, not explore. W VA has some fabulous COE parks with W/E. 2 I would recommend are Bolar Mtn (technically in VA at the W VA border) in the south and Robt C. Craig COE in the north. See stops #14 and #15 in my journal linked in my sig. If you are in the southern part and are looking for another nice COE but in VA, you can also look at Goose Pt COE (#12) near Bassett, VA. JMO
www.putt10.net

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
sounds great visit one of the mine tours the kids will get a real thrill. some thing they will never forget.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
First, be sure to stay on major US Hwys or interstates!
We liked Lake Summersville's Battle Run Corps of Engineers Campground. 30 Amp Electric. You can drive to New River Gorge Bridge. There is rafting in the area but below the dam so you need to find out when they release the water. We also drove to Cass Scenic Railroad from there. Harper's Ferry is very interesting. We stayed at the KOA nearby. Lots for the kids to do at the KOA. Bluestone State Park is supposed to be nice but we didn't stay there. Beautiful state!!
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

dobbler98
Explorer
Explorer
For a great boondocking spot check out Laurel Fork Campground on Middle Mountain Rd.; Cheat Mountain area. White water rafting available on the New, Cheat, and Gauley rivers. Go see and climb the trail to Seneca Rocks, and stay in the recreation area campground. Lots of trails and beauty there. Thurmond is a neat town on the New River. Abandoned, lots of history. Cass has the Cass Railroad, a narrow gauge RR left from the mining days. It runs along the Greenbriar River, which has fantastic canoe opportunities. Tygart Lake offers boating and fishing. Get a Delorme Gazetteer for West Virginia to see all the backroads and wilderness areas available. Well worth the money.
2004 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 30PDD
Usually pulling one of my toys :B

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.stonewallresort.com/west_virginia_resort/camping/