cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

An Omen of Early Autumn - Colorado? - UPDATE 09/03/18

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
This weekend we went up CO 14 west of Fort Collins and stayed at Chambers Lake (USFS CG). Nearby is Larimer CR 103 AKA the Laramie River Road. Since it was a cool/rainy weekend, we decided to explore a bit, as it's been probably 20+ years since I've been on that road. If you have any knowledge of the area, it's quite remote, with access to the Rawah Wilderness Area, and some really huge ranches. Beautiful scenery.

What struck me though was, that on the weekend of August 17-19, there were Aspen already changing. And more than just a few here and there. Enough that they caught my attention as we were driving the valley. Elevation for that area ranges from ~9200 feet to 8,000 feet along the road, with mountains in the 10,000-12,000 feet range. Most of the gold we saw was along the roadway, though there were also some visible at higher elevations.

Heading back up to RMNP in 2 weeks, will be interesting to see if there's any colour change up there yet.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.
58 REPLIES 58

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking about hunting between Gore Pass and Rabbit Ears this year ... at least a grouse hunt if nothing else, but the Silver Creek Fire made the news again last night with another flare-up.

I guess that puts the kabosh to that idea. Sadly, this reenforces what I've said for years about the lack of action taken or allowed regarding all the beetle kill timber.

Map of Silver Creek Trail fire https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5985/
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Folks who come out here in early October for the fall colours, particularly in RMNP are going to be somewhat disappointed. They are not as vibrant as in past recent seasons, and they will be on the down side in October. At least for Rocky there's still rutting season!

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We spent the last week in Pagosa then down to west of Antonito and colors are changing. I'd say it won't be long it will be there.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
High season this weekend for the northern mountains. Next weekend will be great further south. In the four days, we've driven past the Sangre de Christos and up through Salida and Leadville, and then another trip on I-70 to Denver and back. (and no, Busskipper, I didn't take any photos so nothing to post!)

I can always Dream - :W

Some day you'll carry a Camera Maybe.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
High season this weekend for the northern mountains. Next weekend will be great further south. In the four days, we've driven past the Sangre de Christos and up through Salida and Leadville, and then another trip on I-70 to Denver and back. (and no, Busskipper, I didn't take any photos so nothing to post!)
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
timandsusan wrote:
Update from 8/31, drove US550 from Durango to Silverton on 9/13. Lots of great color everywhere you could see aspens. Every color from yellow to orange to almost red. Not that many travelers along the road, but several had stopped since the sky was clear and the sun bright. Up and down the mountain canyons the trees were all in great shape. How long will it last??? I don't know.

I will try and post a few photos.

Please post a FEW.......TIA looks as if we are in high season this weekend.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Update from 8/31, drove US550 from Durango to Silverton on 9/13. Lots of great color everywhere you could see aspens. Every color from yellow to orange to almost red. Not that many travelers along the road, but several had stopped since the sky was clear and the sun bright. Up and down the mountain canyons the trees were all in great shape. How long will it last??? I don't know.

I will try and post a few photos.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
UPDATE 09/03/18

Just got back from a weekend trip up to RMNP. At Glacier Basin CG, looking south at Longs Peak, there were more than a few groves of Aspen among the fir trees that were turning gold. And driving along Trail Ridge Road up to timberline, again saw more than a few groves where the leaves were turning.

It appears to me that the leaf colour change is about 2+ weeks ahead of the usual time, mid to late September.

Sidebar: There was a fire below Trail Ridge Road between the Forest Canyon Overlook and the Rock Cut. While we were there, they were using Chinook helicopter to go to a nearby alpine lake, upload water into the chopper and then fly over the site to douse it. Very steep terrain, it was too dangerous for ground firefighters. Fire was about 3 acres at that time. A news report I read later said that in that particular area, there had not been a fire in over 800 years. Yes. 800 years, according to Park personnel.

Overnight temps all 3 nights at Glacier Basin were in the low 40s, highs in the 60s. This is the last weekend of operations for Glacier Basin.

Thom,

If you guys would just post a Picture or two we could all tell what it really Looks Like.

September 11, 2018 and we still are not there, thinking we might just be right on Schedule - 15-30th depending on elevation.

Just click the like to see the Aspen In Aspen ๐Ÿ™‚
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Can you PLEASE send fall this way? The heat has finally broken and we've got some cool weather ahead but it looks like there will be more heat at the end of next week or so. Hopefully it won't be like it's been. I'm really curious as to what our foliage will look like this year. We've had a lot of rain and a lot of heat. If it cools off soon I think the foliage will be excellent. If the heat continues I think we may be looking at drab colors.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We've had an inch and a half of rain in the past three day and a low temperature of 46 degrees last night in the SW Denver metro area. Fall is not just coming, it's here!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Dusting of snow above 12,500' on the Sangre de Christo's this a.m. A few scattered aspen are just starting to change in the highest groves along the Sawatch Range.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
UPDATE 09/03/18

Just got back from a weekend trip up to RMNP. At Glacier Basin CG, looking south at Longs Peak, there were more than a few groves of Aspen among the fir trees that were turning gold. And driving along Trail Ridge Road up to timberline, again saw more than a few groves where the leaves were turning.

It appears to me that the leaf colour change is about 2+ weeks ahead of the usual time, mid to late September.

Sidebar: There was a fire below Trail Ridge Road between the Forest Canyon Overlook and the Rock Cut. While we were there, they were using Chinook helicopter to go to a nearby alpine lake, upload water into the chopper and then fly over the site to douse it. Very steep terrain, it was too dangerous for ground firefighters. Fire was about 3 acres at that time. A news report I read later said that in that particular area, there had not been a fire in over 800 years. Yes. 800 years, according to Park personnel.

Overnight temps all 3 nights at Glacier Basin were in the low 40s, highs in the 60s. This is the last weekend of operations for Glacier Basin.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
We drove US 550 from Durango to Ouray on 8/30/18. Great weather, some clouds made the photos great. Along the way we saw a few aspens turning golden. We plan on returning in a few weeks to check on the progress.

Litch
Explorer
Explorer
Already have had 30 degree temps here in Truckee which is at around 6000' in the Sierra. Going to work in the mornings feels like late September. Weird Summer, above normal temps and no measurable precipitation which is usually the norm here.
Fall can't come soon enough, tourists will be gone and time to head out of state to hunt!
2006 Chevy HD LBZ Duramax/Allison
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 30sks