cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Yellowstone question

lushy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having a difficult time and was hoping for some help from all of you. I've searched this forum, looked at reviews on various other sites also, but I am getting a lot of conflicting info on reviews.
We are planning the go to Yellowstone for the first time in 2015 and we are looking for a homebase CG between Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP's. We are wanting a FHU site since we plan to stay about 7 days. The CG's I'm seeing in this area have a lot of bad reviews such as small sites, bad facilities, rude owners, etc. Any suggestions for a CG in this area. Thanks.
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel, Air Lift
30 REPLIES 30

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Actually Colter Bay is about 45 miles, of beautiful scenery, from the south entrance to Yellowstone, about a one hour drive. If a person gets up pretty early they can have a full day in Yellowstone, one doing the upper loop and one doing the lower loop. Then, you can come back to see what you missed on the other two days. Generally, we do this once each time we go to Colter Bay for a week. We bring our boat, camp in the campground and fish. When we feel like it, we cruise up to Yellowstone to look at the features, saw three this August that we hadn't bothered to stop at before. Did it all in one day and got back to the trailer in time for a wonderful dinner as the sun was starting to go down. We usually get up to Grand Teton three times each summer, for about a week at a time. Best place in the world.
John A. Lichty

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Colter Bay Campground and visited both national parks from there.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
The Virginian, in Jackson, Wyoming, is about 35 miles from the south entrance to Grand Teton at Moran. It's about 20 miles from the entrance at Moose, but you still have to travel from Moose to the Jackson Lake junction, about 25 more miles. Colter Bay has a pretty nice FHU park that has had a full sign every time we have driven by it in the last 20 years or so, so you need to get reservations if you want to go there. Flagg Ranch has a campground, don't know if it's FHU or not, but it's between Grand Teton and Yellowstone about three or so miles from the south entrance to Yellowstone. You might try them as well, as this would give you fairly nice access to both Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Remember, those miles you are traveling are full of places to see wildlife and some of the most gorgeous scenery in the country. Fishing Bridge is clear on the outside of the park by Yellowstone Lake and is quite a ways from a lot of the scenery and features, but would also be a great place to park while you are in Yellowstone. If you don't necessarily need FHU, Colter Bay and Gros Ventre have wonderful campgrounds as do Grant Village and Bridge Bay. And, don't worry about being too close to your neighbors, you shouldn't be in the campgrounds very much during your trip to the two parks as you should be sightseeing most of the time. Pack lunches for your trips and you won't have to worry about paying exorbitant prices at the eateries in the parks.
John A. Lichty

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Fishing Bridge a few years ago, yes small sites, but only needed a place to sleep. We broke the park up into separate areas and explored for the day. We took our supper fixings and kids had fun finding the perfect picnic spot rack night.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF 🙂 campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
mleekamp wrote:
Two Hands said it: Fishing bridge and Coulter Bay RV Park. We literally just booked both for July 2015. 4 full days in FB and 2 full days in Coulter.

We are also going to stay in Cody and in Devils Tower in north eastern WY.

We did roughly the same stops in 2013 - 5 nights in FB, 2 or 3 in Teton at CB-RV, 3 nights in Cody, 1 night at Devils Tower - and loved our trip, did not feel rushed and saw/did quite a lot.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone is two blocks from YNP's west gate. And the Virginian in Jackson is less than 5 miles from the south entrance to the Tetons. Both Grizzly and the Virginian are FHU parks. And they're in towns with grocery stores at competitive prices.
No matter where you camp, you'll do a lot of driving. One lap of the grand loop in YNP is about 140 miles. And the drive from the Virginian in Jackson, WY. to the south entrance to YNP is 57 miles. And they are slow miles. But its worth it.
And if you miss something, don't worry - you'll be back. My first visit was with my parents in 1952. Again with college buddies in 1967 and three more times since then. And I'm itching to go again.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
lfloom wrote:
Plan to stay at at least 3 different places - a couple of days near Jackson, to see the Tetons, a couple of days in the middle (Grizzly RV would be an excellent choice) and somewhere up near the top (my favorite part of the park). This day you will drive less and see more.

I agree with this. Add an extra day if you can, moving around takes time, but otherwise you will spend it driving. Yellowstone is huge.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
When we visited The Tetons we stayed in Riverton WY at Wind River RV Park. Not fancy but adequate. Then we moved to Yellowstone Valley Inn between Cody and Yellowstone for Yellowstone visit. Again not fancy but adequate considering you aren't there all day. Both RV parks full hookups pull thrus and easy driving distance to the parks. If you had to pick one park, Yellowstone Valley Inn might be the one closest to both park entrances.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands said it: Fishing bridge and Coulter Bay RV Park. We literally just booked both for July 2015. 4 full days in FB and 2 full days in Coulter.

We are also going to stay in Cody and in Devils Tower in north eastern WY.

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
I think a lot of the problems come from the disconnect between expectations and realities of RV parks in the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area. The expectations are with millions of wide open acres the parks should reflect that abundance of acreage. The fact is there is very little in the way of private land available and what is available is priced astronomically. On top of that, many conveniences people have come to expect are only marginally available in the area. Things like Cellular service and wifi providers are very limited and not comparable to the service you get around cities.
Combine the high land costs with a short season and you get high site rental rates. A site that might be $30 most places run in the $50s around the parks. I would imagine the surly attitudes people feel they encounter is partially a response to the park's management hearing repeatedly that people have stayed in better parks for less money elsewhere. A factual response to those complaints may truly be: "Rates are what they are, the wifi is as good as it can be, and we really can't improve your cellular service." To many people those park employees responding truthfully is interpreted as those employees being rude and uncaring. Sometimes the truth really does hurt. The fact is there really isn't a park anywhere near Yellowstone or Grand Teton that would qualify as a great stand alone destination. Even the best parks are nothing more than good places to park your rig while visiting the national parks. The best approach is to realize you are going to Yellowstone and Grand Teton to enjoy the national parks, not the RV parks.

bee_46
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the recommendation of Fishing Bridge RV Campground in Yellowstone. It is pretty much centrally located for the upper and lower loops. Close access to Hayden Valley for wildlife although a bit of a drive to Lamar Valley another animal hotspot. We found the sights large enough and if you are towing they have an area to hook up and a parking spot for your tow vehicle along side. The only downside is you have to either walk or drive to the showers. You get two free showers per campsite per day. Any more than that you have to pay. We spent 4 nights there this summer. You are closer to the camper behind you than along side. Store and gas station are nearby for needed supplies. No need to leave the park for the duration of your stay.
Bobbie 🙂

2003 Pleasure Way Excel TD

Alaska 2008

Arches, Geysers, and Canyons

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
Plan to stay at at least 3 different places - a couple of days near Jackson, to see the Tetons, a couple of days in the middle (Grizzly RV would be an excellent choice) and somewhere up near the top (my favorite part of the park). This day you will drive less and see more.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone is big, big, big. Seven days would be good for Yellowstone. But if you only have seven days for both and want full hookups I suggest Fishing Bridge RV Campground in Yellowstone for four days and then three days in Colter Bay RV Campground in Grand Tetons National Park. One goes to Yellowstone for the scenery and wildlife viewing. Not necessarily for a great camping experience. Have a great trip.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
So long as people keep paying to stay at these places, there is no incentive for any changes to be made.

While it's no where near Grand Teton, we've stayed at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone, MT twice. That really is a 5 star RV park. Excellent reviews too.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
You'd think with it being such a long standing destination for RV'ers there would be some big rig friendly 5 star RV resorts.