Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone stay in Hiawasse, GA

Keeth1123
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

This is my first post to the forum and I wanted to ask about an upcoming trip I am planning. I wanted to make a trip to the Georgia mountains and came across the GA Mountain Faitgrounds. We will be there during the Christmas lights event. Is this trip worth it? Can anyone recommend places to eat or things to do in and around Hiawasse? Should be staying for four nights.

Thank you
11 REPLIES 11

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keeth1123 wrote:
Are there any better suggestions not more than an hour away. We're looking for slight mountain view and colder temperatures.

We usually stay in the Georgia State Parks. Vogel SP near Blairsville is beautiful with both a small lake and waterfall against a mountain back drop. Being in a mountain cove at a higher elevation, Vogel is cooler and will frequently have frost and/or snow at Thanksgiving. Note: ALL RV parks/campgrounds in the north Georgia mountain area are in a fire ban: they have extreme drought and forest fires in various areas.

To do campground search we prefer AllStays.com search which we've found more complete than RVPark Reviews and even Woodalls. AllStays is updated frequently as well.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
We go to the fairgrounds in early May for a BMW rally. The craft booths are closed then, I think they only open them for the fair. You can call them to check.

If you want to find other campgrounds look at the website RV Parks Reviews.

Lot of information on that site and you can find a campground thst best fits your needs.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

Keeth1123
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any better suggestions not more than an hour away. We're looking for slight mountain view and colder temperatures.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Not far from there is Blueridge Ga. Nice little town with the Smoky Mountain railroad available for rides. Also, if you like apples, there is Mercier apple orchard, they make all kinds of things from apples. My favorite are the fried apple pies but there is a wide variety of things to pick from.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ride on over to Blairsville and eat at Rib Country BBQ, just inside the city limits. Brisket is great. If they have them available, try the fried apple and peach pies.
Not a long ride to Brasstown Bald, (highest point in Georgia) but with the fires burning, the view might be limited.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The area is in extreme drought and camp fires are not allowed. Call the park and check to see if outdoor grilling is even off limits. Its that bad. We were just in Helen a few weeks ago and things really did not seem to be that crispy out but it is dry. Lakes and rivers were not all that low it seemed to me. I can't comment on the Christmas event but the area is really beautiful.

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
Check on the fire conditions. It has been very dry in the mountains and there are some wildfires burning. Other than the GA mountains are great.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know much about the Fair, but you will be within a few miles of the John Campbell Folk School which has wonderful craft store. Check it out on Google. All of the mountain towns in this area; Hiwassee, Clayton, Brasstown, Blairsville, Blue Ridge, and Murphy have lots of places to eat and things to see. I don't care much for Helen but they make a big deal out of Christmas there and you may enjoy it. lizzie

Keeth1123
Explorer
Explorer
We are interested in the fairground portion. Will all the craft shops and fair food be available all the time, or only certain times of the year.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
We camped there years ago. Really enjoy the area. We still go up there quite often but best friend built house on lake Chatuge so we no longer camp while there. There is a bbq place, chop house, Portofinos, Mexican restaurant, pizza place, just about anything you want. Also go to Mary's for breakfast. Have fun!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
We have camped there several times. The campground has a good variety of sites and is located on a beautiful lake. It is a decent location to use as a base to tour the North Georgia area.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!