cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Dispersed areas in the West

danojeno
Explorer
Explorer
We were going to fly somewhere in a few weeks but cancelled that plan. Instead, we would like to pull the trailer around the west. It is probably too late book reservations anywhere so I wanted to get a feel for some of the best NFS, BLM or other boondock spots. I was thinking mountains, streams, and the like, not the desert dispersed camping that I'm used to. I recall Taylor Park Colorado had nice dispersed camping that I saw when I was camped nearby on the Taylor river, so I know there must be great stuff out there. Tell me your 2nd most favorite spot and I'll keep it a secret.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 4x4 CCSB (sold)
2012 Eclipse Stellar 28SBG, Spring Over Axle (Sold)
48 REPLIES 48

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
2gypsies wrote:
You can't boondock in any national park but look for areas just outside.

For the North Rim there's DeMotte Nat'l Forest Campground just outside the park gate. Just south of the campground is a well maintained forest road - F.R.11, I believe. You just have to drive in 1/2 mile and you'll start seeing many nice boondocking spots. The weather is perfect for a cool summer spot. No AC needed! Mid to late Sept. is very pretty with the aspen in color.

LenSatic: Absolutely gorgeous photos!!!! Thanks.

1. I have boondocked for free in Death Valley NP and most recently in Canyonlands NP.

2. You can boondock at Point Sublime on the north rim GC if you have rugged 4WD.

3. If you have an iphone (or ipad) buy the app Ultimate Campgrounds. It will show you NP, NF, BLM, SP and more boondocking sites. Some are dispersed and free.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
The MVUMs only show where dispersed camping is allowed, they do not show where there are places suitable for boondocking. Only discussion with the district office and scouting reveals where you actually might be able to camp. Don't forget the BLM lands. There are millions of acres of these lands to camp on, most of which you could be really alone. But again, it takes a little work looking at BLM property maps, talking to BLM Area personnel, and scouting to find the gems. Road condition can be a limiting factor.

I was in the Big Horn Mtns recently and wasn't surprised to find that the Forest Service had to number and regulate the dispersed sites along Forest Service roads that had been used for decades. These newly numbered sites are the only dispersed sites where campfires are allowed and many of the sites that have been overused are now closed. Just an indication of what can happen when places are loved to death.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amazingly, even though the national forest websites are not perfect, they are much better than the national park websites, which seems odd. Much more info on the NF sites, much easier navigation. Better graphics on the NPS sites, but so what?

Having said that, I agree that the NF sites could do a much better job of describing the rules governing boondocking. The MVUM maps are good but not perfect.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
LowRyter wrote:
so you can camp your RV in any safe spot in any national forest? I can't find that info from the NFS sites, just write ups for their campgrounds.

Generally, yes. With some exceptions.

Southern California, for example, is really restricted. The further away from populated areas the less restrictions you find. In general, everywhere is open unless specifically closed. Some forests restrict dispersed camping within 1/4 mile of a developed campground. This is to prevent people from free camping then walking to the campground to use the facilities without paying. Very popular areas may be restricted to established campgrounds. One near me is Lake Almanor in Lassen National Forest -- a restricted zone is between Highway 89 and the west shore, however across the highway is open to dispersed camping. Sometimes maps or descriptions of these restricted areas are hard to find on the NF websites, as well as the general dispersed camping rules. I have complained about the poor websites many times. I urge others to complain frequently and loudly. Accurate, timely, and detailed information on NF websites does not seem to be a priority with most NF webmasters. Many times "New Hot Newsflashes" on the banner head are 2 year old notices that are now obsolete. (Any NF Public Information types reading this -- take note. Most NF websites are not updated timely and are thin on dispersed camping information.)
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
The Motor Vehicle Use Maps for most National Forests show areas within specified distances of the road where dispersed camping is allowed. Here is an example:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3825417.pdf
MVUMs can be downloaded for most forests and are available at district ranger offices.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
LowRyter, you can't boondock in every forest, and most forests have some restrictions on where you can camp. It varies a lot. It is best to ask the rangers about dispersed camping -- they are often very helpful! (Hint -- go into the ranger station and buy some maps, and then ask questions. They like folks who support the national forests, not surprisingly.)
About our trailer

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

Thank our son. It was his first visit to the GC, ever, and he only had 2 and a half days because he had to get back to Denver for his National Guard Drill weekend. He'll be back. ๐Ÿ˜‰

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link for dispersed camping information in national forests:

Dispersed Camping
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
so you can camp your RV in any safe spot in any national forest? I can't find that info from the NFS sites, just write ups for their campgrounds.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You can't boondock in any national park but look for areas just outside.

For the North Rim there's DeMotte Nat'l Forest Campground just outside the park gate. Just south of the campground is a well maintained forest road - F.R.11, I believe. You just have to drive in 1/2 mile and you'll start seeing many nice boondocking spots. The weather is perfect for a cool summer spot. No AC needed! Mid to late Sept. is very pretty with the aspen in color.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
WOW!! Great, great photos. Judging by the angle of the sun, I am guessing that the shots of Steamboat Mtn. were taken from somewhere near North Timp Point?

Next point north, Locust. Our son took the pix. BTW, he got his only F ever in school in photography. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Or, as I oFten remind him, FotograFy. ๐Ÿ˜„

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the photos above were taken on the North Rim in the national forest. I don't know if there is any boondocking on the south rim with views of the canyon. There is a lot of good boondocking near Tusayan on the south, but watch out for the helicopter traffic near the airport.
About our trailer

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
LowRyter wrote:
what are the boondock rules for the Grand Canyon? All I ever see are campgrounds when I go to the NFS and NP websites. When I was at the South Rim, I didn't see boondocks, only dry camping in full campsites.

Thanks

The boondocking people are talking about isn't in the NP but rather in the NF. You won't see anybody boondocking at the south rim as it is all NPS lands.

Get a NFS map of the Kaibab NF. There are a number of roads heading off of AZ 67.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Don't worry, Len -- it is a huge area -- lots of room, lots of great boondocking spots -- most of them have views like this one, taken at 5 am from the door of my trailer:

what are the boondock rules for the Grand Canyon? All I ever see are campgrounds when I go to the NFS and NP websites. When I was at the South Rim, I didn't see boondocks, only dry camping in full campsites.

Thanks
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit