cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best lobster in Maine

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to Maine next month staying in Bar Harbor, Boothbay and Old Orchard Beach. Looking for best places to eat! Thanks,
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
58 REPLIES 58

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent advice from Michelle. You do run the risk of a mess and some leftover odors in your unit but it's a lot less expensive.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
In Boothbay, on the east side, we like the Boothbay Lobster Wharf. It was first recommended to us by a sailing friend who visits the area often. Years ago (at least 10) there was a place near Shore Hills (and the now-closed Little Ponderosa) campground called "The Lobster Mainiac" - also a video store but they ran a boat and would steam and deliver lobster and steamers to your campsite at the parks.

In the Bar Harbor area, I would recommend Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound.

Can't recommend anything in OOB since we've never stayed there, but I will suggest to anyone visiting Maine that almost any supermarket has a lobster tank and will steam your lobsters for you at no additional charge. Just order them at the fish counter then go shop for your butter and lemon (and cracking/picking tools, if you don't have them). It takes about 15 minutes and they'll put the hot lobsters in an insulated deli bag so you can take them home/back to the RV. Current prices are running in the $5.99-8.99/lb depending on hard/soft shell and how large they are.

Michelle
2017 LTV Unity

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
Never had nor heard of a lobster roll so may need to try that. We will venture out from the three stops so didn't intend to limit it to just in the close vicinity of the the stops. Thanks, keeping a list of what you people have said. Hey, seafood in Tennessee usually means fried catfish!
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
You're right...I didn't read the thread title but just what the OP wrote (Sorry)

No apology necessary! My comment was a bit "tongue-in-cheek" (especially the math part!) but without inflection it was a bit hard to interpret.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
He never mentioned anything about lobster rolls !!!!!

Beg to differ. Title is "Best Lobster in Maine". Then OP talks about best restaurants. Add them up and it's "where's the best restaurant to get lobster in Maine?". Note, however, OP does NOT specify how said lobster should be prepared! :B

You're right...I didn't read the thread title but just what the OP wrote (Sorry)

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
drenjoey wrote:
The OP is looking for places to eat in Old Orchard, Boothbay and Bar Harbor. He never mentioned anything about lobster rolls !!!!!

Maybe the OP will have a change of mind after reading this thread! ๐Ÿ˜‰ :B

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
He never mentioned anything about lobster rolls !!!!!

Beg to differ. Title is "Best Lobster in Maine". Then OP talks about best restaurants. Add them up and it's "where's the best restaurant to get lobster in Maine?". Note, however, OP does NOT specify how said lobster should be prepared! :B

Douglas Adams

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is looking for places to eat in Old Orchard, Boothbay and Bar Harbor. He never mentioned anything about lobster rolls !!!!!

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
Traceys Seafood

This place is great if you wander towards the quiet side of Acadia Nat. Park Schoodic peninsula. It is right next to Mountainview Campground on Rt1 Sullivan.
Full timing it since July 2012

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
The_Painting_Teacher wrote:
An institution in Maine for lobster rolls (with an accompanying line of 25 - 50 yards) is RED'S EATS located in Wiscasset. As you descend the hill in downtown Wiscasset before you cross the river, it is found on the left coming from the south. It on Rte 1 a short distance before you leave Rte 1 to take a right for Boothbay Harbor. Enjoy

Absolutely the place to go..1 1/2 lbs on a roll..nothing else...butter ,mayo and lettuce on the side...sold 11 ton of lobster and 3 ton of butter last year....for Lobster Roll this is the place
Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe, I've gotta disagree with you! The best lobster roll is chunks of meat with a light bit of mayo and lettuce lining the roll. Butter, while tasty, makes the roll soggy and hard to eat.

I don't eat lobster-this is opinion from the hubby and son. Neither are real fans of mayo or lettuce. Each to their own and you can find plenty either way up there!

Douglas Adams

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
Don't waste your time or money on a lobster roll, those things suck.

That depends on how it's done. It should be on a buttery, grilled hot dog type roll, slit at the top, and the meat should be drenched in butter, not mayo.

Crowe, I've gotta disagree with you! The best lobster roll is chunks of meat with a light bit of mayo and lettuce lining the roll. Butter, while tasty, makes the roll soggy and hard to eat.

1. Be wary of lobster salad - sometimes folks making it that way shred the lobster, which ruins it. Always ask!

2. IMHO, the best place to have a lobster roll is usually the last place you had one...
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
Funny how a thread is changing direction.....We're all discussing lobster rolls and the OP is just asking where to eat in the three towns he will be visiting.

Adiabatman
Explorer
Explorer
We've had a lot of lobster rolls all along the Maine coast and the absolute best was at Waterman's Beach Lobster in South Thomaston. A James Beard Award winner.

But you have only two more weeks to get there - they are closing for good on 4 September. We're sure going to miss them.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
There are 2 kinds of lobster rolls, ones cold, mixed with mayo or some such, like chicken salad. The other is hot lobster meat in a bun, served with butter.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA