cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Bend Advice

DelB19702
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about making the Big Bend trek this fall sometime. We are located in Southeast Houston and have discussed Big Bend as a spot we want to visit since being in Texas.

I've read quite a few posts over the years and since we are seriously considering this year, I'm looking for a few current options on the following topics:

• Campgrounds -keeping in mind DW and two kids, would ideally be looking for water and electric. Read about several in the area including what looks more like an RV resort type in Lajitas. Anyone stay here?
  • Gas - planning on bringing supplemental gas cans for the trip, but has anyone run into issues with theft. Trying to think of a good place to store the gas cans when not traveling and camped for the evening. Just looking for opinions.

Firearms-curious on this topic. I've spoken to several who made the visit to the park and typically have at least brought theirs along. Just seeking some opinions.

I know you ask opinions on the internet and you will get 100 different responses, but in my profession I like data points. Anything else you can think of (good hikes while there, etc.) is appreciated.
2014 F250 Supercrew, 4x4 XLT, LWB, 6.2L
2018 Palomino Puma 295BHSS
Curt Q16 Hitch
11 REPLIES 11

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Although I'm not one to do a lot of planning, I'd suggest you come up with a rough itinerary before your visit. Split the Park into three sections - East (Rio Grande Village and Boquillas), Central (The Basin) and west (Castolon and Santa Elena) and outline the activities you'd like to do in each. The Park's website has some great suggestions depending on the amount of time you have. It also has fairly detailed information about hikes and drives. You'll get a Park map when you enter but consider picking up a more detailed one by National Geographic which is available on line or at various stores such as REI for around $12.

Some of our favorite drives: Old Ore Road (short hike to Ernst Tinaja), River Road East to Mariscal Mine, Glenn Springs to Pine Canyon (and the hike to the pouroff), Old Maverick Road. Check with the staff for road conditions when you arrive.

Favorite hikes: The Window, Lost Mine Trail, Emory Peak (and up to the South Rim if you really want a workout - we usually overnight on this one), The Chimneys, Boquillas Canyon, Santa Elena Canyon, Mule Ears Spring, Tuff Canyon and of course the Hot Springs.

Food: The restaurant at the Lodge is usually good. The Starlight Theater in Terlingua is very good and a great atmosphere. La Kiva is a unique local watering hole in Terlingua with a bit of mystery (we haven't eaten there since Glenn's death A murder in Terlingua, TX and Badlands, TX.

Other: Be sure to visit Terlingua even if you don't eat there; pull up a chair on the front porch of the store and ask a local about the Burro Lady. Visit her grave in the nearby cemetery. The drive from Terlingua to Presidio is nice and you may want to stop at Big Bend Ranch State Park if you have time.

Have fun and post back with details of your trip.

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like lots of great advice. Another idea, visit Alpine and then tour McDonald Observatory and catch a Star Gazing night (check their website). Also a state park at Ft. Davis that has FHU. Due to altitude Alpine will be cooler than BB. From my experience at BB, you will want to hike to a few places--always bring water, a map, and compass. Good hikes start near the Chisos Basin. The road to the Chisos Basin limits trailer length due to twists and turns in the road. If you stop at Seminole Canyon SP, check on the availability to hike to the White Shaman indian pictograph site. Enjoy the trip!

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
You donโ€™t need supplemental gas cans. There is gas/ diesel it is just expensive. Often the highest in the state. Fill up near I-10 and/ or US-90. Donโ€™t drop below a half tank when near/ in Big Bend.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
FYI. Distances from Panther Junction (Park Center)
Rio Grande Village 20.4 miles
Study Butte 24.7 miles
Maverick Ranch 39 miles
Currently Between RVs

DelB19702
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. We were looking at November time frame. I'll be making some calls this week to check availability on those mentioned. I think mom is pretty well set on Maverick Ranch....
2014 F250 Supercrew, 4x4 XLT, LWB, 6.2L
2018 Palomino Puma 295BHSS
Curt Q16 Hitch

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Have stayed twice at the park both times we stayed one week at the Rio Grand Village RV park (full hookups) to see the east side of the park and then one week at Maverick Ranch RV Park in Lajitas to see the west -again with full hookups - its a very nice park with a beautiful pool for the kids, we have checked out them all on the west side of the park and its the best.

Internet and cell in the park is not great - my Verizon air card would not work in the campground - they did have service by the office - Verizon cell works on the hill about 2-3 miles from the campground towards Panther Junction

We just were at both this past March - there are any number of great 4X4 unpaved roads that you will enjoy - we took one about every day

Take your passports and go to Mexico - take the international ferry (rowboat) over it was great - we had breakfast at a restaurant over looking the Rio Grande

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
November is a perfect time to be there. The cottonwoods are in glorious yellow color against the bright blue sky. If you need hookups, stay in the park itself at Rio Grande Village RV. Fuel is available. No need to haul it. Firearms.. can't help you but here is the national park's web site on it:

https://www.nps.gov/bibe/learn/management/firearms-regulations.htm
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
After several visits we liked best and recommend staying in the full hook up RV park in the park. Yes its an asphalt parking lot but if you want to see many different places in the park it is much shorter / less driving than any other location, there was picnic tables and trees in the grass area behind every asphalt parking spot. It is also right on the river, So our recommendations. If want to see the park, stay in the park, if want to see sights outside park, stay outside. Weโ€™ve done both. Interesting place.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
For a campground on the way I'd recommend the Seminole Canyon State Park just before the Pecos River.
If you want to be on hookups:
Stay in Study Butte if you want evening dining out choices (Dirt w/ some trees). The only resturant in Big Bend NP is in the Chisos basin.
Stay at Rio Grande Village on pavement with trees.
Gas and convenience store both places.
Currently Between RVs

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
re fall visiting to Big Bend. It probably won't cool off there until mid to late Oct. But check on the date for the annual Chili cookoff in Terlingua, because the area will be busier than usual at that time. It's usually in NOV.
The FUH in the park is literally a paved parking lot with hookups. Rio Grande RV park. Next door is the Rio Grande campground, with lots of shade and water and a dump station. There's a little store inbetween the two campgrounds. Make a reservation NOW if you really want elec. hookups.
In Terlingua, we have stayed at the Big Bend RV park and the Study Butte RV park.
Neither is fancy...both provide the basics and are close to the park's west gate.
Again, if you can, make reservations.
On the way to the park, if you use highway 90 out of San Antonio, there are lots of rv parks in Del Rio, and a state park campground near Comfort TX. And at Marathon, one of the gateways to Big Bend, there is a decent rv park in town and a good restaurant at the hotel.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK we drove past the RV CG in Lajitas and looked in, it had trees which is quite unusual for the are and was obviously a cut above the dirt parking lot cg's that make up the rest of the selection. There are a couple CG in the Sturdy Butte/Terlingua area. Plus there is a FHU cg in the park itself. There are lots of places around the park with no services at all.

Don't worry about gas, there is are several service stations in the area including at least one in the park. The gas will be somewhat pricey but it wasn't outrageous when we were last there. There is a small super market in Sturdy Butte too.

Firearms? This is Texas and the parks follow local law.

A lot of businesses shut down for summer, I'm not sure when they re-open. I highly recommend the River Road as one day trip.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper