cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black hills

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
How much time is enough in the Black hills to see al the attractions in the area? We're not in a hurry but don't want to reserve a week and be bored after 3 days. Will be going what is probably Memorial day week and therefore the reservations.
19 REPLIES 19

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim Shoe wrote:
Dodge,
That pic is about the time I was there. Might be the same insistent burro. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cool! You can see his friend next to him (just under my mirror). Their other friend is in front of my van, keeping me from moving! These guys are persistent!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Reserve a time you are comfortable with -- plenty to see and do for years but some people dig deeper than others.

IMHO the parks and the caves and the monuments are some of the most beautiful in the US so go, enjoy and most likely you will come back. think I've been at least 10 times over the years. Each time we discover new things and new drives and even more hikes and walks than last time.

You will not get bored.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge,
That pic is about the time I was there. Might be the same insistent burro. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Horsedoc wrote:
....and the burros are descendants that were used in past years to haul tourists to the top of Harney.

You mean these guys!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
....and the burros are descendants that were used in past years to haul tourists to the top of Harney.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
dons2346 wrote:
Uppercrust wrote:
......... Harvey peak is a great hike.......

Ummmm, it's Harney Peak.

Hiked it, liked it. Uphill both ways

+1 on that! Deceptive hike at around 7200 ft. Looks easy and some ways not bad. But it can be more challenging than some hikes at 10,000 or 11,000 feet.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Uppercrust wrote:
......... Harvey peak is a great hike.......

Ummmm, it's Harney Peak.

Hiked it, liked it. Uphill both ways

soren
Explorer
Explorer
We're not in a hurry but don't want to reserve a week and be bored after 3 days.

Were now on our 20th year of spending at least a week or two there, every summer. We aren't bored yet. That said, there have been members here who whined that they were passing through the Hills on a cross country trip, and stopped at Rushmore, but quickly moved on, since "there was nothing to see". I don't know it they expected the second coming to begin, a live action Godzilla movie, or what? But, most folks can spend a few weeks in the area, and have a great time.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
daily double wrote:
How much time is enough in the Black hills to see al the attractions in the area? We're not in a hurry but don't want to reserve a week and be bored after 3 days. Will be going what is probably Memorial day week and therefore the reservations.

As others have pointed out, there's much to see in the Black Hills area. Depending on where you'll be based, you can explore the northern part of the BH around Sturgis/Lead/Deadwood area, the central area around Hill City and Mt Rushmore (just in this central area, there's much to see and do) and the south area around Custer SP, and Hot Springs. There's really a LOT to see and do in each area, that a week doesn't do any of the areas justice, to experience all you can.

And that doesn't even factor in that there's a lot to see and do in Rapid City as well. One can take a day trip to Devil's Tower, or one can take a day trip to Wall Drug. We did that one day, taking a trip out to Wall Drug and it was a fun, full day experience AND I got a beautiful BH Gold ring out of that trip! There's also the Badlands NP area that one can visit, which could be a destination unto itself.

Yup, there's much to see and do in a week!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter & I will be spending a week there in July. Been there before and so much to do. Harvey peak is a great hike, do the candlelight tour at Wind cave. We also plan on going horseback riding and visiting Deadwood and Spearfish canyon.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

LewBob
Explorer
Explorer
A few decades ago, I spent four years in the Black Hills area courtesy of the U.S. Air Force. Most of my free time was spent in the Hills, skiing in the winter, hiking and biking (motorized) in the summer. I never ran out of new things to see and do.

If you are physically active and like the outdoors, the opportunities are practically unlimited. Even if you just intend to hit the "tourist" destinations suggested in other replies, a week won't be time enough.

Lew

2015 Casita Freedom Deluxe
2012 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 EcoBoost
"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." --Bob Seger (Against the Wind)

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Hi,

I tried to stop at Devil's tower, but the campground was full, so I got one picture and left.

Mt. Rushmore is another story, you want to stay there a few nights. I stayed at Custer State Park, a short drive away via highway 16. There are 4 tunnels, stop at tunnel #2 or #3, it will be less crowded and take pictures.

If you are leaving the Mt Rushmore parking lot, turn to the right and go about 1/4 mile to the small parking area, where you can get a side shot of Washington.

From the Mt Rushmore parking area, on the roof, you can look east (helps to be early morning when the sun is behind that mountain) and you can see through some of the tunnels, I was able to find 3 of the 4. Look for trees cut down, and then the tunnel will be behind the cut back trees.

Near Custer State park is a 35 mile wildlife drive. You can take it and see many moose, deer, and other animals.

Fred.

sorry no moose in csp. elk,bison and plenty of other wild life. this will be my 5th summer at csp and i still have not saw all there is to see in the area. i volunteer at the park. oh and about the tunnels, if you are going up iron mountain the tunnels frame Mt Rushmore like a picture frame.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We spent five nights at Custer State Park's Game Lodge campground last August and enjoyed the Black Hills area area very much. Reserve early. Electric at each site, and a water hookup by the laundry building for filling your tank, and a dump station. There are several other campgrounds as well.

Plenty to do! The state park itself has so much to see including the park's big herd of bison that spent part of each day beside the campground - great photo opportunities up very close. Beautiful Sylvan Lake; the Wildlife Loop with prairie dogs, pronghorn antelope and more; the Needles rock formations, the tunnels. Each night, the rangers had programs or movies at the campground theater building.

The historic Game Lodge itself is worth stopping in for a drink or dinner. Take a look at the stone fireplaces in the bar and lobby area, with crystals from nearby Jewel Cave.

As mentioned, many other interesting things to see within an easy drive, like the Caves. I got a big kick out of spending a morning at Rushmore, hiking around the base for different views. The visitor facilities there are all very updated.

You can drive west about 90 minutes to see Badlands NP and the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site but it's also fun to stay overnight to see the colors change on the Badlands at sunrise and sunset. The campground there has some electric sites and now takes reservations.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
If you intend to visit CSP, a couple of things to know. Its a South Dakota State Park, so it requires an entrance fee (not much) instead of the National Parks Pass.
And if you're going to drive the wildlife loop (you should) take some carrots. There are a lot of wild burros living there. They're descendants of the burros the prospectors owned during the gold rush. The park rangers prefer that you don't feed them, but know that the burros can insist. One burro stands in the middle of the road (I assume they take turns) while the others go from car to car, begging. I have pictures somewhere but can't find them. And watch your fingers. The Burros have lousy aim.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.