cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

blue ridge parkway

zwicky
Explorer
Explorer
If im staying in Asheville, nc and want to drive the Blue ridge parkway which direction has the most scenery?
thanks Jen
10 REPLIES 10

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Go north.When U get close to Washington DC,turn around.You already seen the best.

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
We were there last summer and loved it. Every vista is beautiful and best of all no mosquitoes. Be sure to see the Biltmore, Black Mountain, and the beautiful little towns all around. We also drove along the Smokey Mountain Highway from Tennesse to Cherokee and loved that too.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

mockybird
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the parkway and close your eyes and go north or south.You can't go wrong either way. Just don't continue to drive with your eyes closed or we will be reading ABOUT you instead of FROM you.
Gary

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We live in Mitchell county not to far from the Parkway.
In my estimation the prettiest part is between Asheville and Boone.
Make sure to drive up to the top of Mt Mitchell,(after a front has gone by) it is the highest mountain east of the Miss.
In that section there are waterfall hikes and fantastic views as well as some great hikes like the Tanawa trail near Grandfather MT.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
If picking it up near I26 (actually use Hwy 191), heading south you are almost immediately in the Pisgah National Forest. About 25 miles south is Devil's Courthouse, what I think is one of the most breath taking places to take in the view. Mt Pisgah Inn, about 5-10 miles south of 191 which has nice meals with great views while you dine.

If picking it up near I40, then heading north drops you into the Asheville watershed with Craggy Gardens about 20 miles north. Mt Mitchell is about 10 miles further north. There is also a resturaunt at Mt Mitchell with great views while you eat. Food here depends on the cheif this year. Two years ago it was fantastic, last year only okay.

In between I-26 and I-40, to many house and not enough views, but it is only about 10 miles so not terrible.

In both directions, you have plenty of over looks to look at, each of which is special and wonderful in their own rights. So it would depend on where you are starting from and how much time.

Now one thing that may make you go south, is if it is hot and you want to jump in a mountain stream. For that, head south to the Graveyard Fields. From the parking area, it is a short steep (right side of parking lot) or long gradual (left side, 3 miles) to the stream and waterfall at the bottom of which is wonderful swimming hole. This parking area is easy to spot, it's the one with 50 cars parked any where they can and even down the side of the road on the weekends, and full parking lot on the weekdays.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of it is good. Take your pick, it's a win-win. If you want more than that, tell us what your interests are.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on what you want to see. Mt Mitchell, GrandFather Mountain, Linville Falls, Lin Cove viaduct, Little Switzerland, The Cone Mansion, Boone, and Blowing Rock, Are North of Ashville.

Also, The cool air of the Mountains is North of Ashville as well. Mt Mitchell is jacket weather all year round.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I live an hour south of Asheville and we always drive south towards Cherokee, NC. That section is the prettiest to us (and I think most agree). Going North a bit to climb Mt. Mitchel is very nice as well. after that, it sort of feels like a country road for a while.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
Our sticks and bricks, bout 20 min away, I would go ether way, I guess I like it anyway.and now it's all happy-camping

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would head north and continue up the Blue Ridge to Skyline Drive.