cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brrr.

karead7
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking through some old photos. There was one time we were boondocking in a British Columbia Provincial Park in November of 2007. Temperature went down to -10C (14F).

http://www.travelwithkevinandruth.com/2007/11/ec-manning-provincial-park.html

Didn't have any problems except for a lack of battery power in the morning because they were so cold! No frozen lines or anything though.

What's the coldest you've ever camped?
13 REPLIES 13

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
The coldest most miserable weather we had was in Canada in May on a fishing trip. It snowed for 3 days off and on and we were in tents. The lake was to rough to get on for a day and a half so the 5 of us sat in one of the tents playing cards. We only had one catalytic heater for 3 tents. After that we started taking a camper with us.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

TMcArthur
Explorer
Explorer
+5 degrees in Flagstaff, AZ this past Jan.

No furnace in my van, so I bundled up and wrapped up my water before bed. Woke the next morning with the only negative effect being my laptop would not power up until it warmed up a bit.

So far I haven't noticed much of a difference once I go below 20 degrees. I'm sure if I crack into the negatives I will know the difference ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-timing it in a van since December 2011
My blog | Tour my van | My 2013 travels | Finances of full-time van life

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've had a couple chilly nights. The latest was a cold snap in Denver during March of '13...

The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Generators and heaters and movies?? That's sounds good! But it's a matter of personal preference. With enough warm clothing (check out the Russian lamb's wool hat in the photo below), we have often enjoyed sitting in our trailer, with the interior in the low 40s, with hot drinks and a good book, listening to the wind in the trees and the coyotes howling in the canyon. This photo was taken one very cold morning in the Tetons in late October -- the window behind DW is coated in ice -- and all night long we could hear the drumming of the ruffled grouse in the sagebrush, sounding like a distant motorcycle that wouldn't start (BRMM-Brm-brmm . . . . )

But I would guess that if it ever gets down below zero, we would be very glad to have that generator!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
Really cold nights are what an on board generator is for-
Fire it up, plug in a couple of electric heaters, order a movie, and pour a drink.

Nothing like sitting in absolute comfort when it is miserable outside and you are in the middle of nowhere!
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were in West Yellowstone in mid-October and it hit 10 degrees. We did not run the heater at night -- hurray for the down comforter! But when we took the coffee-maker out, the cord was frozen -- this is not a trick shot:

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
....We had 10 F. overnight at Chaco Canyon in March one year....thermostat set to minimum but furnace started every 15 min or so.....batteries lasted ok....there were some tenters there that crashed for the night in the campground heated bathrooms....we always carry two sleeping bags in case we ever need extra covers so were happy we had them....we were pretty snug in our Bigfoot camper.....
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a few years, so can't remember for sure, but was below zero. 8" of snow over the night and day. Sucked having to go out and brush the snow off of the sat dish and throw another gallon of gas in the genny. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Best thing about Colorado is that it was 50* the next day.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
You guys ain't never seen cold ...

I remember one night in Aug, '61 when it was so cold that when we tried to talk, our words came out in chunks of ice and we had to fry them to find out what we said.

Lat: 90ยฐS.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I should say that my attitude towards creature comforts has changed considerably since that time.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Michael_in_MN
Explorer
Explorer
Son of Norway wrote:
-30F while camping in the Superior NF in Minnesota Jan. 1977 - in a sleeping bag under the stars.

Miles

Nice. ๐Ÿ™‚

I slept in my camper at around -10f without the furnace. In the morning, I spilled an espresso and it froze as fast as it hit the floor.
-----------------------------
LivinLite Camplite 16BHB
2015 Silverado 1500

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Son of Norway wrote:
-30F while camping in the Superior NF in Minnesota Jan. 1977 - in a sleeping bag under the stars.

Miles

WOW! I bet you didn't have any trouble finding a camping/boondocking spot.
I don't like leaving the house if it's below 32F.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO